It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Association of Leisure Time Physical Activity Types and Risks of Mortality Among Older Adults

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 11:42 AM
link   
According to a recent study led by researchers at the National Cancer Institute, older adults may have a lower risk of death from any cause, as well as death from cardiovascular disease and cancer, if they engage in a variety of leisure activities on a weekly basis, such as walking for exercise, jogging, swimming laps, or playing tennis.

The results suggest that older persons should take part in leisure activities that they love and can maintain since many of these activities may reduce their chance of passing away, according to the authors.

The NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study included 272,550 adults between the ages of 59 and 82 who completed questionnaires about their leisure activities. The researchers examined whether engaging in comparable amounts of seven different exercise and recreational activities, such as walking, cycling, swimming, other aerobic exercise, racquet sports, and golf, was linked to a lower risk of death.

In comparison to not participating, the researchers discovered that doing the required amount of physical exercise each week through any combination of these activities was related with a 13% decreased risk of dying from any cause. Racquet sports participation was linked to a 16% risk decrease and running to a 15% reduction when they examined the impact of each activity separately. However, all activities were correlated with decreased mortality rates.

The researchers discovered that participating in any combination of these activities to meet the required level of physical activity each week was related with a 13% reduced risk of dying from any cause than not participating. Playing racquet sports and running were linked to a 16% and 15% risk decrease, respectively, when they examined the effect of each exercise separately. However, every activity was correlated with a comparable reduction in the probability of passing away.

Adults should perform 2.5 to 5 hours of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity or 1.25 to 2.5 hours of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity per week, according to the second edition of the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.

Even bigger reductions in the risk of death were associated with the amounts of exercise performed by the most active people (those who went above and beyond the guidelines for physical activity), although there were diminishing returns as activity levels rose. Even those who engaged in some recreational activity, even if it was less than what was advised, had a 5% lower risk of passing away than those who did not engage in any of the activities examined.

Additionally, these activities were linked to a lower chance of dying from cancer and cardiovascular disease. Running was linked to the highest reduction in risk of cancer deaths (19% reduction), whereas playing racquet sports was linked to the greatest reduction in risk of cardiovascular deaths (27% reduction).

Association of Leisure Time Physical Activity Types and Risks of All-Cause, Cardiovascular, and Cancer Mortality Among Older Adults
Eleanor L. Watts, MPH, DPhil1; Charles E. Matthews, PhD1; Joshua R. Freeman, PhD1; et al

Key Points
Question Are different types of leisure time physical activity differentially associated with mortality risks among older adults?

Findings This cohort study of 272 550 older adults found that participation in 7.5 to less than 15 metabolic equivalent hours per week of running, cycling, swimming, other aerobic exercise, racquet sports, golf, and walking for exercise was associated with lower mortality risks compared with nonparticipants, although there were differences between risk estimates.

Meaning This study suggests that being physically active through participation in any type of leisure time activity is associated with lower mortality risks for older adults.

edit on 26 8 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Interestingly I have found in real life it is all about genes.

My Mother was a couch potato, she did not like doing anything even walks, she spent most of her life sitting and doing pretty much nothing, At age 90 she was still living alone taking care of her self and didn't need any help, strong mental capabilities and even her voice didn't change like most people I know including myself.

Some people smoke heavy and never get cancer, some do activities that should bring health but that ends of crippling or killing them

Pretty sick of wasted money on studies at this point!
edit on 26-8-2022 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Diet and genetics do have a role as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 02:34 PM
link   
My dad will be 96 this year. He doesn't do a lot of physical activity. Mom was more active than he is, and she passed at 83. They both had a pretty good diet with lots of salads and vegetables, small portions of meat. He likes to snack on cookies and ice cream, and mom isn't here to scold him, so he does. My sisters say they feel like they hit the DNA jackpot. Dad is a genius and looks decades younger than he is. My sisters look younger too are intellectuals as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

I met a gentleman at a gardening store the other day. He mentioned he was 80, and I could not believe it; he easily looked at most 60. He looked younger than my 65-year-old father, which, honestly, if my dad said he was 80, you'd likely believe it. Then again, he eats like crap, has several other health problems, and does no physical exercise at all. His mother, on the other hand, is 95, and physically she's just fine; she is starting to slip mentally. She was always busy in her garden and getting about her town and visiting with folks, and she always ate great as well. Now, if she were eating what her kids and grandkids were eating, she wouldn't still be here; I can't help it though; her scratch-made biscuits and bacon gravy are worth the early grave.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 08:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

join