It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it me or.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2022 @ 05:58 PM
link   
...does it seem like everyone asks for a S.S. number ?

The reason I ask is, well, yesterday I went to a new Dr.
Since we moved in March and all ours are up North, we needed a new one. So, we make appts. I walk in, give the young lady my name and she asks for my driver license. I thought "Ok, just making sure I am who I say I am" and hand it over. Then she asks for my SS number. I sigh and tell myself, "Don't snap, just a young lady doing her job" and give her the last 4 digits. She says she needs the full thing. I said no the last 4 are all you need.
"It's our company policy...." I interrupt and say, "You have my name, date of birth, address and a copy of my license, now you want my full SS number. Do you know what I could do if I had the same amount of information about you ? I"I could have you $ 50,000 in debt by the end of the week. "I do not give out the full number". Apparently the office manager heard and walked over and when the young lady turned around to look at her,, she said "He has a point, go ahead and process him"

Great Doc by the way. She spent at least 25 minutes discussing my history and what I'd like to do as far as a health plan goes , had an x ray of my back done in office, blood work and STILL had me in and out in just a tad over an hour. I had back surgery when I was 33 and once I hit 50 started having some real problems that are ongoing. Now my right leg goes numb at random times for no apparent reason and I figured, "yeah, probably time to have that checked out". It hurts quite a bit so she gave me a controlled substance.

Now I head to [ shudder ] Wal Mart to have it filled. Of course the lady asks for ID, I hand it over, [ once again no complaint I can understand why with what I was getting ] and then asks for my SS number. I give her the last 4. she says she needs the full thing. I once again refuse and say all you need is the last 4. " Well your Dr ... "and I interrupt to tell her that all They have is the last 4 and I never give out the whole thing. She goes to get the prescription, I pay for it and she hands it to me and THEN proceeds to tell me that "Ky law says we have to have a SS number on file for controlled substances " My answer was "Obviously not, because you just sold it to me without the full number ".

Now, am I being a difficult asshole or just protecting my self ?

posted on Aug, 11 2022 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Now, am I being a difficult asshole or just protecting my self ?

You're both and that's ok

posted on Aug, 11 2022 @ 06:04 PM
link   

IMO, there is a much larger discussion here.

I assume you are either a little older than me and/or value your privacy in greater regard.

I say that because ss numbers are as ubiquitous as a DOB. Anything financial, medical, employment etc related requires them.

My grandpa for instance tool GREAT care to not disclose his number wereas my peers dont see them as a big deal.

Now for the next gen, what also will be as ubiquitous? Blood? DNA?

.....nasal swabs....?

posted on Aug, 11 2022 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Yes.

Those directing society work with long term plans. This started way back when they came out with debit cards, and newborns needed SS cards or you couldn't claim them on your taxes, then to get Medicaid.

People would revolt at an instant cashless world, so they've been taking us there in baby steps.

posted on Aug, 11 2022 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I assume you are either a little older than me and/or value your privacy in greater regard.

I'll be 58 in a couple weeks and I HIGHLY value my privacy. I was talking to these people in a very polite but firm manner. I never raise my voice or be a "Kevin" I just state that I do not and will not give out the full number...and you know what ?
They cave almost every time and if they keep insisting, I walk away and do business elsewhere.

I know that not everyone who asks is out to rip me off, but we've all heard the stories of wait staff who copy debit or credit card numbers, which is why I always pay with cash and if I do use a card for something, I swipe it myself, I never just hand it to someone who then takes it out of my sight.
Paranoid ? Nope, just learned to be very careful with information. I once bought tickets for a train ride and then bus fair in Spain.

I've never even been to Spain.

posted on Aug, 11 2022 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Many, and it tends to correlate with age are far more trusting in tech and institutions.

We see it on a large scale which why I indicated a larger discussion.

Its all rather interesting imo

posted on Aug, 11 2022 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Would like to comment, but will need your SS number first, please.

It's my new policy, but only for this thread.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Probably both. But youre right, and its ok.

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Great read, going to remember this.

edit on 13-8-2022 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

top topics

join