It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slumlords in Florida

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

That is horrible! I agree , that level of neglect is unacceptable. Especially no AC, roaches, and fire/safety hazards.
It looks ready for demolition.
I can imagine government owned properties are as bad or worse though(look at old Soviet Union buildings).

It is, and should be seen on a case by case basis. I'm not sure changing laws is needed or a good idea. I worry about government overreach as it is. Florida is still good and I hope to keep it that way.

I own some rentals and take VERY good care of them. I'm getting a new roof for one , only because insurance complained, not the tenants. The second one of my tenants complaints I'm on it.
I live in Florida btw and as are my rentals.

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The lease. You have to always check your lease. Slum lords are not just in FL. They are everywhere.

I was renting for 3 years at one place and got a knock on the door. 30 day notice home was sold. No heads up. Nothing you can do. It was on a back page of the lease about 30 day notice if sold. I should have read it better.

Only thing they have to provide is water and electric. No AC. No hot water heaters. Electric and Water.

The worst part? It is so bad with rental in FL right now if you moved out he will just fill it again and get more money. Too many people and not enough real estate.

Now, what area are you in in FL?

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

So far, I don't think that I've ever seen anywhere that has gotten the balance right between the rights of tenants and landlords.

Where I live it's the complete opposite. You need to jump through a million hoops to evict a tenant even if they default on their rent and wreck the place, and if someone receives almost any form of government support they're classed as having protected status under anti discrimination legislation so refusing to rent to them can be considered a breach of their human rights
Huh?! You should love that as a liberal ?

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 04:45 PM
link   
All of you are despicable agents of Putin (or at least Xi Jinping) discrediting American reality.

After all, everyone knows that Americans live at least in such houses - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Oh my God, my heart goes out to you! Those pics made me feel like I was gonna hurl. Those buildings should be condemned. It sounds like you have already made your local news media aware of this. The landlord sounds like a total scumbag. While I'm glad you're taking legal action, I agree with what some said on here regarding posting about this on any social media sites, even this one. You need to be careful, as your slumlord probably has sleazy lawyers of his own and will do everything he can to discredit you. If you can get some of the other tenants with you, perhaps a class action lawsuit would be in order. But the slumlord may retaliate against all of you, so please be careful.

Maybe your boyfriend could take the money and get you a deposit on a nicer place. These horrid slumlords get away with this stuff all the time, in all the states, not just Florida. One of the reasons I finally took the plunge and bought my first home, a condo. I actually pay less in mortgage, property taxes, and insurance than I did when I paid rent on my last apartment. So it can be done, but you may have to do a lot of looking. Best of luck to you. I hope you are able to get a better place and get your life back on track.

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 02:47 PM
link   
TLDR after the first few paragraphs...

You chose to rent the place. You chose to stay.

My only question is...

Why? Why did you choose to stay in a #hole for 6 years?

I'm not saying that makes this landlord any less of a scumbag, I'd never do that to anyone (I've owned a couple of rentals, and we bend over backwards to address even the smallest of complaints immediately and to their satisfaction), but still...

You chose to stay.
edit on 1-8-2022 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join