It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pellegrino anyone? No, not the water, Leo Pelegrino on Bass Sax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Caution. Skip this if you are not ready to try some wild ca-ca from the world of Jazz

I often spend my mornings with this musician or that while dabbling on ATS. The other morning I was visiting with Charles Mingus, that legendary composer and oh so sweet string bass player when I saw this picture on the You Tube list. It was a bass sax player with pink hair.

Pink Hair???? WTF???. So I clicked it. It was this guy playing a Mingus classic, Moanin.

I wasn't ready.

Over the years I have enjoyed hearing musicians take their instruments and stretch them to new levels. Not only stretching the music itself in a classical sense, the developing time signatures and styles of play but stretching the PHYSICAL instruments themselves way beyond the scope of their original intent.

So if you think you are ready, try this. This guy takes his sax to places I think that neither Charlie Parker or John Coltrane ever imagined. Let alone Charlie Barnett.

If you are not adventurous, you may want to skip this one and try some slinky jazz in the second video . Another little tribute to Mingus this morning called ''All about the Bass'' offered by the Post-Modern Jukebox

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Thanks to the Sax, I was able to attend Univ. on a Music scholarship, if I played in the marching band. I suppose I should have thanked Paul Desmond and that heavenly alto tone that was my inspiration. May Mr. Desmond rest in Peace. I didn't major in music but went on to learn other instruments. Bass until the rock and roll lifestyle nearly killed me.

btw...I think that's a baritone sax, not bass. Still that Leo got serious chops.

soulmatetwinflame.com...
edit on 24-7-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Hey O

Sax was my second axe. Clarinet being my first. That stretching of the instrument idea first came to me through my father who loved Gershwin. At the beginning of Rhapsody in Blue is that slick clarinet glissando that caught my attention. I mastered that by the end of secondary school but had to wait til senior year for a piano player who could handle the piece before I got to play it in concert.

And Desmond. Heavenly yes. Dulcet tones like none other. Take Five was my ''Senior Extravaganza'' presentation in 65.

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I was wondering about a sax player who was also a body-builder in the late '80's/early '90's.

He featured in the vampire movie The Lost Boys, and also performed with Tina Turner.

Oh, there we go - Tim Cappello:
en.wikipedia.org...

Definitely my favorite.

Tim Cappello (The Lost Boys Sax Max) - I Still Believe.

edit on 24-7-2022 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join