It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it a man? Is it a woman?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:59 AM
link   
No! it's a boy/girl. But on a serious note, this is quite disturbing, especially if it really has the potential to spread. What's to stop it getting onto land and in the air? More to the point our oceans/seas contain the highest proportion of life on this planet.
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I would be scared that it would cross species, but then again I am safely in the middle of America.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:01 AM
link   
hermaphrodite oysters??!?!?! LMAO!!

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Yeah but if it crosses species it wont matter where you are, remember the ocean is the biggest food chain on the planet. What can be eaten today of the coast of india can end up on your plate in a matter of a few weeks. Something to think about for family planners. Gulls covered in oil was one thing, but watching a major food source for the oceans becoming sterile and extint is kind of devastating.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Here is more info.

www.ecogent.ca...

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Havn't you heard of "mountain oysters"?
They're closer than you think....

Originally posted by Freddie
I would be scared that it would cross species, but then again I am safely in the middle of America.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Yes, I know what mountain oysters are. Believe me, I stay clear of those!

Seriously, what disease crosses from oyster to human? Supposing it did, nobody is safe with international travel, especially if you live in a dense city like I do.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Erm I dont think you quite read the post right, this isn't a disease. It's caused by chemical pollution that effects the biological makeup of embryo's.
But it could mearly be a firstwave, by this i mean (and im no expert on marine life so someone please correct me if i'm wrong) oysters may be the aquatic version of insects in this case. As insects were and still sometimes are used in area of radiation or various toxic problems, for detection purposes. When you see the insects start to die, you know your in a high danger area. So maybe this is a similar thing with the oysters, they may just be the first things affected.
As for how they get from oysters to us? Well last time i checked oysters are still the most widely accepted aphrodisiac and you shove them down your throat. What better transport could pollution ask for?

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I think the common zoological name is endo-procto groveler...they eat and crap at the same time...now I know why I have never had one.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Well it's no difference to the drugs in meat - growth hormones - that make people achieve puberty earlier.

Thats been proved, Chemicals are all through the food chain, you can't get away from them. The oysters of today may be the processed food of tomorrow . (bad analogy with oysters I think, what else would you use them in)

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Very true, I just hope this gets kicked in the butt before it has a chance to spread, or we'll be screwed.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Well, Least they dont have to go find a chick oyster to get laid, heh...

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   
How much exposure to this chemical is required, or more specifically, dangerous? These oysters have likely been in contact with this chemical up until they were removed from the water for testing.

Does this mean human exposure at a dangerous level requires them to swim around in the ocean for a minute, or weeks? Is exposure possible from eating contaminated seafood?

(BTW, all retorical questions.)

[Edited on 24-7-2003 by SimonGray]

top topics

join