It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

heatwave? Suck it up buttercup!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: KindraLabelle2
I think you'll find with the very hot weather that you wont get many customers. If you work in a supermarket get your chair and put it straight in front of the freezer section and keep the doors open. get a low chair as cold settles lower. You didn't say what sort of store you work in.

I'm in the UK and surprised that the water authorities have not slapped a hosepipe ban on us yet. Though they have said to try and conserve water. I have just today started to fill up our 12 foot pool up, if you lived closer you could come and take a dip.

It's an store that sells multimedia and household electronics, so no freezers. To bad, I would sit in front of them all day! lol
Same over here, we were told to conserve water, but no hose ban yet.
We used to fill a pool every summer, but not since last year. It's hard to keep the water clear over here, under the trees, and the moment it turns even a bit green no one wants to go in it anymore.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: KindraLabelle2

It's an store that sells multimedia and household electronics, so no freezers. To bad, I would sit in front of them all day! lol

Physics doesn't help you here. A fridge or a freezer emits heat from the heat conversion/extraction process into the atmosphere around. With an open door, it would be emmiting constant heat too.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 11:57 AM
link   

So glad to hear things are going to be handled better. I was actually concerned because without ac in those temps heatstroke can hit quickly.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Sorry to hear of the abysmal work conditions. If your in the UK, can't you just quit and go on the dole? I thought the benefits there were pretty good. Why work if you can get payedto stay home?

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Sorry to hear of the abysmal work conditions. If your in the UK, can't you just quit and go on the dole? I thought the benefits there were pretty good. Why work if you can get payedto stay home?

I don't think that's entirely true. I'm not in the UK but in Belgium.

To receive unemployment money each month you have to be registered in the unemployment agency. You will have to go there once a month and proof that you solicited with at least 5 different companies each weak (and they do check if you pick realistic jobs that match your profile). If you didn't find a new job after 3 months they send you on a course to 'learn to find a job, write resumes, call up companies to try and get a job interview, participate in role playing...) If that doesn't do the trick then they can force you to do 'flex jobs', which are low profile, short term or one day jobs). Then they send you to job-days at companies who can't find the right profiles, who will offer you some sort of internship, you'll learn skills that not many ppl have (which imo is a nice offer with good possibilities in the future). If you fail all this or miss one meeting, you'll loose the monthly pay.
Besides, as a single you'll get around 1450 euro a month, when you're married you get 650.
If for whatever reason you loose the unemployment money you can always try for Welfare, which is only around 1100 a month, but one condition to get it is that you can't own anything. New law coming soon that says you can't have savings in order to get Welfare.
In the past, welfare would also arrange cheap social housing, but today there is a waiting list of 15 years!

So nope, to make a long story short: quitting my job is not an option, unless I have a new job.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow

So glad to hear things are going to be handled better. I was actually concerned because without ac in those temps heatstroke can hit quickly.

thanks

be concerned for my husband instead, he'll be working tomorrow. I just hope he'll do what he promised and get out of there when it gets to much.
We did see a fair amount of customers today, like everything is normal

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: KindraLabelle2

Physics doesn't help you here. A fridge or a freezer emits heat from the heat conversion/extraction process into the atmosphere around. With an open door, it would be emmiting constant heat too.

Doesn't an industrial freeze blow the hot air outside?

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Must be nice. Where I work I'm hot and sweaty before I even get in the door, and then the entire shift. It regularly hovers around 110°F(43°C), and oftentimes exceeds that.

I guess I can sympathise with you guys lack of comfort, but you'll get used to it, and it'll pass as the seasons change.

Maybe yall will be more prepared next summer.

Ah man. Don't even get me started on the proof boxes amd ovens. The proof boxes get hot and steamy. If you wear glasses you're useless until you stand there for a few minutes for your glasses to defog. The hot air, the steam, the yeast all combine to make it pretty sufferable. Hot, sweaty, can barely breathe.

The ovens can reach temperatures well over 800°F(426.6°C) If the ovens jam up we have to go in there with worn out proximity suits heat proximity suit
(The ones we have look like the ones with the head gear, but no pants, the coat goes down about shin level)

Now the ovens usually sit around 450-600°F(204.4-315.5°C)The guys that have been there forever say they used to have to go in without venting and cooling the ovens down, and that their boots would stick to the ground.

Now we have to wait until it gets down to the low 200s°F(93.3°C)with the heat suit and like 125°F(51.6°C) to just go in. Could be a little off on the figures, but that's about what it is. Anyone could look up the OSHA requirements for confined space entry into ovens and proof boxes.

I'm not saying this to be snooty or a braggart. I'm saying it's not a guaranteed death sentence to be exposed to 40 something degree Celsius temps for a while if you stay smart and keep aware of how you're feeling. Stay out of the sun, drink healthy fluids, wear light clothing that covers the skin, and don't go out unless you have to.
edit on 18-7-2022 by AutomateThis1v2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1v2

You're allowed to brag...
If you do that for a living, all day every day then you can brag all you want.

I hope they pay you accordingly.

I new guys who did risky jobs, industrial cleaning of contaminated areas, and sort like things, their paycheck... I can only dream about that amount of money each month! But they do take risks not many want to take so...

Still, I'm glad I got out of working the hot store tomorrow... heat is not my thing!

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It was about 35c/95f today in my manor.

Didn't even have the fan on. I've known it MUCH warmer. It didn't seem muggy.

I stayed at home. My only concession to the heat being I wore a T-shirt.

I normally suffer in muggy weather. So what was all that scary news about?

Forecast 36c tomorrow.

Meh.

posted on Jul, 19 2022 @ 07:03 PM
link   

That's just sad. I recommend you fly to Mexico, put on a Bursa, walk across the US border. They will fly you to Minneapolis. Just tell them your a Somali refugee. You will get free housing and a fat government check and a Democrat Party Registration card.

Study up on Marxism, marry a US citizen, get naturalized as a US citizen. Tell folks your a transgendered lesbian, run for Congress. When you win, you get on the graft and corruption gravy train.

Problem solved.

posted on Jul, 19 2022 @ 09:02 PM
link   
In SC it’s in the 90s F degrees May through October. It can get up to 120 F degrees a few times in the summer. So we stay inside after 10 am until 5 pm. Carry insulated water bottles with ice everywhere in life. Keep a cooler at all times in the car. Carry white wash rags for sweat. Wear hair Barrett if you’re female. Holding a cold drink makes you feel cooler. Sit in basement or filled bathtub at home. Freeze up water bottles, put inside a sock and use against your body to lower temp. Eat less. Wear light clothing. Soak your feet in cold water. Pray it goes away. I believe the people here become like lizards, we just got used to the heat over the years. 50 F in the winter feels uncomfortable and difficult. It’s what we call extreme air-conditioning in the winter.

posted on Jul, 19 2022 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I keep my house at 69F.

Wife is going through menopause, and I like it cool.

*shrugs*

To each their own.

posted on Jul, 20 2022 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

stay hydrated, limit your energy, and move on. I promise, you will not burst into flames.

Oh yeah? Tell Matilda Rooney that. Poor lady was minding her own business when BAM, spontaneous combustion.

posted on Jul, 20 2022 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Okay I will do that too as well. Thank you. a reply to: network dude

posted on Jul, 20 2022 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I keep my house at 69F.

Wife is going through menopause, and I like it cool.

*shrugs*

To each their own.

that's a good temp for inside,
during winter not a problem here, but in summer it's a bit warmer inside without airco/fan. Next winter though, I think I might have to keep it lower then 69F, will depend on if I will have to heat with gas or electricity...

posted on Jul, 20 2022 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JimmyNeutr0n

that's what you get from minding your own bossiness!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join