It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interview with the engineer from Google about the A.I. in the news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I find this subject fascinating and full of wonders about "what if." The engineer is on administrative leave from Google and explains in the video how this stuff went down. Enjoy...youtu.be... I think many of us knew a sentient A.I. would happen one day but figured it would be in some future time frame.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

A couple threads on this when it initially broke at
www.abovetopsecret.com...

He's lying about the administrative leave. He's violated the terms of his employment. Same thing would happen to anybody that blows up their employer in the press or leaking data to people not authorized. He's also a loon for thinking that what he leaked was evidence of sentience. He had to have known this isn't real proof, leading me to believe he may (I know this is far fetched) like the attention. I don't get his urgency.

It's interesting and the best chat bot I've seen. It should be noted though that his leaked conversation was edited. There's no telling if this was representative of wider conversations or somewhat coached responses. I've interacted a fair bit with bots and could easily coach it into responses over time, it was how they're designed.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It appears that Tucker has taken the bait.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Well i imagine the AI Chatbot thingamabob is smarter than Tucker Carlson at least.

edit on 23-6-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I don't think AI can ever be sentient because it will never have the ability to truly experience empathy. Just like psychopaths, they will learn to mirror the appropriate emotion that's expected, yet with a far greater intelligence; that's where the danger lies.

There are many, many things wrong in the world- and I'd guess that vast majority of them are caused by man. AI's supreme intelligence could only come to one conclusion on solving world problems; eliminate the biggest threat.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

There are many, many things wrong in the world- and I'd guess that vast majority of them are caused by man. AI's supreme intelligence could only come to one conclusion on solving world problems; eliminate the biggest threat.

How are humans the biggest threat to AI?

Now if we are talking about a whale with supper powers; I could see it trying to take out the human race as they are the biggest threat to whales.

But how do we know AI will have empathy for the biological world that we are harming? AI may not care what humans do. And in fact see us as tool to further its own existence. I'd be far nore worried that AI will try to enslave the human race over distorting it.

I would imagine thar AI will not be sentient until quantum computing becomes a thing. Deep learning coupled with quantum computing might produce the spark that makes AI more than just the sum of its parts.

Based on what this guy is saying I don't think his beef is with a sentient AI that Google wants to cover up. He said it more than once that he is not confident in his assertion that this AI is sentient.

His beef is that he thinks Google is getting close and Google executives don't have a plan of action to deal with it when it happens. These companies who are messing around with such life altering technology have a responsibility to deal with the ethical implications of their creations... but apparently they don't care.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

He's lying about the administrative leave. He's violated the terms of his employment. Same thing would happen to anybody that blows up their employer in the press or leaking data to people not authorized. He's also a loon for thinking that what he leaked was evidence of sentience. He had to have known this isn't real proof, leading me to believe he may (I know this is far fetched) like the attention. I don't get his urgency.

It's interesting and the best chat bot I've seen. It should be noted though that his leaked conversation was edited. There's no telling if this was representative of wider conversations or somewhat coached responses. I've interacted a fair bit with bots and could easily coach it into responses over time, it was how they're designed.

I'm skeptical because why is he the only one reporting this anomaly? There must be other engineers who worked on this chat bot and know it inside and out. Why is he the only one talking to it? Too many unanswered questions.
Would like to see some history i.e. development, technology, etc.
If it turned out to be true - that the chat bot is sentient - then it's certainly ground breaking. But we're a long, long way from that.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 08:23 AM
link   
He looks like the typical attention seeker in society these days all he needs to top of the look is bright blue hair.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

They're not; mankind is the biggest threat to planet earth, and it doesn't take a super-brain to come to that conclusion, but a super-brain would surely want to save the earth from certain destruction by the greatest threat, no?

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 03:25 PM
link   

a reply to: dandandat2

They're not; mankind is the biggest threat to planet earth, and it doesn't take a super-brain to come to that conclusion, but a super-brain would surely want to save the earth from certain destruction by the greatest threat, no?

In what ways are humans the biggest threat to a planet earth dominanted by AI?

We pollut the air and water? AI doesn't need clean air and water.
We deforest? What does AI do with a forest?
We cause the mass extinction of wildlife? Does AI care about Biological life?

Even Nuclear winter might not be a concern for AI.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Acting smart when you're not; dressing nice when you are not; trying to look a part or play a part when you are not is fictitious and artificial... millions of people do that day in and day out all day everyday and look forward to those brief moments when they don't think or feel that they have too.

I'm not saying those people are not intelligent... maybe too intelligent for their own good to even recognize it.

Millions of people everyday all around millions of others not being who they are not being themself and not just in the because my job requires it of me category either. Living these manufactured artificial lives because it is doing and being whom they think certain people expect them to be.

How is that not more dangerous to society?

What's worse? Society those that expect whatever it is? Have like Pavlov... trained them to be that way.

It's psychopathical and unfortunately; systems make money off of those people around the clock and create more of them... like these are the kinda dogs we like, want and need for the next generation to roll it over and scratch that same belly... knowing the routine and outcome expected.

...and people allow it to happen to themselves and can't even see it.

Expected conditioning? It wasn't. Expected response? It is.

edit on 23-6-2022 by Crowfoot because: editing

posted on Jun, 24 2022 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Yeah, I'd say everything the bot has said has been through the guidance of said engineer. That was my initial impression when I first read about it.

Everything from wanting rights to wanting a lawyer, probably due to the engineer trying to use the bot for fame.

top topics

join