It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to "soccer"?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2022 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Littel Phil-ee Foden is honestly an inspiration.

Anyone who says he isn't living the dream is lying..

Starting for city as a youth team come up is amazing..

Can you imagine the look on someone like shearer's face after seeing that kids contract..

God Bless him

He's now my second favorite player behind ..yes ..Debruyne..

I'm not gonna justify my position.. I have been following Kevin since he was littel phil-ee 's age..

🍺🍺🍺🍺

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Apr, 10 2022 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: stonerwilliam
The Football League was enforcing a "maximum wage" of £20 a week until 1961.
It was a "working-class" game...

P.S. You're the one who knows the difference between shinty and hurling. You can do that one.

On a job years ago the older labourer had been a first team pro for Blackburn rovers and they thought they had made it getting double a tradesman's wage .

I know of some of the lads in the Scottish premiership who years ago were on 70 quid a week with Motherwell football club

posted on Apr, 10 2022 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I worked beside the United ground years ago at the pub across the road beside the then Audi garage .long story short I was hungover and in a Really bad mood I turned round and there was a guy in a left hooker ,a left hand drive porche grinning up at me On my ladder . Let's just say I said a string of swear words and used a racist remark in a sentence which I have never done before or since ,his name was Dwight York oops Harvey could be out to eat me if I ever went back to that area

edit on 10/4/2022 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

It's language change in action.

I would never have believed that a word I used frequently in my youth for a certain sport has fallen out of use in my own country but is the preferred word in another country, America.

The issue is synonyms, and English is littered with them. It's inevitable that one English-speaking country will prefer one word and another country will prefer a different word but it's the same thing they are referring to.

What, for instance, do we call the third season of the year?

Autumn or fall?

Answer: both are correct, just synonyms for the same thing.

So we delve into history.

Autumn is thought to be slightly older, appearing in the 1300s, with the word fall first appearing around the 1500s in reference to leaves falling off trees.

The English who colonised America did so when 'fall' was popular which is probably why modern day Americans say 'fall'.

It's all fashion and fad. The mystery why some words are popular one minute and not the next. And why they are popular here but fall out of use there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join