It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation spike at Chernobyl

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

What the region should fear is that the woods surrounding the region catch fire. An uncontrolled burn there would release untold levels of radioactive contamination that has been building up in the undecomposed leaf litter on the forest floor. Even if the containment shielding wasn't breached, a fire in the woods would still be a terrible accident.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 5ofineed5aladder

If you click on the bubbles it shows you where the info comes from. The ones at Chernobyl are from dazv.gov.ua..., which is the state agency that manages the exclusion zone. Could be falsified, however based on reports of damage to the facility, and the likelihood that this is coming from an automated sensor, I'm inclined to believe it.

From a human and ecological situation I'm not sure how bad this could be or not. Based on my limited understanding and research it looks like this could be on par (radiation wise) of Fukushima, although likely to be better contained.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
a reply to: flice

Yesterday the same area was averaging 3,000, today its 65,500. Thats a huge spike and one hell of a coincidence...

Can you put that in terms of what's dangerous to humans? Is 65,500 something that can kill you in 3 minutes or less? Need a point of reference. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick
I think this website is just linking us to a bunch of sites to get our clicks.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This website is run by saveecobot and ran by savednipro. I think this is a scam get this crap out of here.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
None of the bubbles link you any where. I tried all the buttons on the page.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Well sure, why not... as if there arent enough problems in the world, lets add the worlds largest dirty bomb to the board and see what happens.

Piss on it I am getting drunk tomorrow night.

ETA: seriously we are already playing the game on legendary difficulty lets stop trying to up the difficulty please!
edit on 24-2-2022 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

I starred your post
a CT scan would be about 10 mSv
The supposed radiation level here is 65.5 mSv/h

Or 6 CT scans per hour.

the numbers are usually Much lower according to the linked webpage the OP posted and according to the Article I posted from the AP.

65500 nSv is 0.065 mSv.....

Nano to milli. Move the comma 6 slots
edit on 25/2/22 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
I read the map wrong my bad, that location is right where chernobyl is

The highest readings were on the containment buildings themselves which jumped to 60k and still climbing.

This is definitely a leak from the containment building if this site is legit.

The current federal occupational limit of exposure per year for an adult (the limit for a worker using radiation) is "as low as reasonably achievable; however, not to exceed 5,000 millirems" above the 300+ millirems of natural sources of radiation and any medical radiation.

Reading 60,000+ right at Chernobyl right now.

An older unit for dose is the rem (Roentgen Equivalent in Man), or the smaller millirem (abbreviated “mrem”) still often used in the United States. One sievert is equal to 100rem.

edit on 25-2-2022 by PatriotGames4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: flice

originally posted by: Reverbs

I starred your post
a CT scan would be about 10 mSv
The supposed radiation level here is 65.5 mSv/h

Or 6 CT scans per hour.

the numbers are usually Much lower according to the linked webpage the OP posted and according to the Article I posted from the AP.

65500 nSv is 0.065 mSv.....

Nano to milli. Move the comma 6 slots

Oops
Good point.

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Briefing by Russian Defence Ministry spokesperson

25.02.2022 (11:20)

Yesterday, February 24, units of the Russian Airborne Troops took full control of the territory in the area of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant.

An agreement was reached with the servicemen of a separate battalion of protection of the nuclear power plant of Ukraine on joint security of the power units and the sarcophagus of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant.

The radioactive background in the area of the nuclear power plant is normal. NPP personnel continue to maintain NPP facilities in the normal mode and monitor the radioactive situation.

The joint actions of Russian paratroopers and Ukrainian servicemen of the NPP security battalion to defend the plant is a guarantee that nationalist formations or other terrorist organizations will not be able to take advantage of the current situation in the country to organize a nuclear provocation.

eng.mil.ru...

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: PatriotGames4u

The radiation there is less than a CT scan.... 65500 nSv is 0.065 mSv.

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I hope te guys from the "Kreosan" You tube channel got out in time-
They are a group of young "stalkers" who explore the zone,and have kitted out a flat in Pripyat which they often stay in.
I hope they were sensible enough to get out before it kicked off-but from watching some of their videos "sensible" is not their usual M.O.

They are entertaining though,and I hope they got out safe.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 25/2/2022 by Silcone Synapse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Ukraines nuclear monitoring agency said earlier, the increase is caused by the dirt and dust being kicked up from the Armor columns that moved through the Chernobyl exclusion zone.

You can probably find it on Twitter (I'd post a link myself but have been banned from Twitter for years now), as that is where I saw the quote while watching Ukraine 7 camera live via the sloth youtube channel.

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: flice
a reply to: PatriotGames4u

The radiation there is less than a CT scan.... 65500 nSv is 0.065 mSv.

Whew.

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Chernobyl isn’t that far from Kiev. Makes sense that Russia would want priority to secure it, preventing the loonies from causing a huge disaster, then blaming Russia for it. The river runs though it which feeds into a large lake near Kiev, probably a main drinking water and food source.

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Yesterday the same area was averaging 3,000, today its 65,500. Thats a huge spike and one hell of a coincidence...

Can you put that in terms of what's dangerous to humans? Is 65,500 something that can kill you in 3 minutes or less? Need a point of reference. Thanks.

The max annual dose limits vary depending on your occupation and the type/depth of radiation exposure. However, for the general public non-occupational exposure is 1mSv/year per NRC.
65,500 nSv/h = .065mSv per hour
That equates to reaching the allowable yearly dose in just 15 hours and 23 minutes, or, 570X the allowable annual exposure.
regulatory dose limits
edit on 25-2-2022 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If you were going to hide a clandestine operation, say international, human/ child trafficking and you wanted the most iron clad security, where might one put it?

posted on Feb, 25 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I can't find the link right now, but it's being reported that the radiation spike is due to the soil around Chernobyl being disturbed by all the military vehicles.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join