It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Impossible" 2D material is light as plastic and stronger than steel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Sounds like something along the lines of Buckyballs(Buckminsterfullerene) 2.0.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Direne

It is not biodegradable, and it is a xenobiotic polymer, hence a microplastic, the ones that pollute your oceans.

Impressive as it may look to you, it just solves a minor problem (structural and mechanical ones), yet it introduces a major problem: pollution.

ahhh
i was wondering when some eco nut was gonna rear their silly cause and you stepped up to the plate.

got news for you pal
alot of what the "eco friendly" crowd such as yourself support ALL CAUSE POLLUTION/CLIMATE CHANGE

Hell the much touted EV use ION batteries.
the mining alone causes so much "pollution" , "deadly waste", "ecological damage", "pick the chant of the day" that makes love canal look like a freshly filled spring fed swimming pool

btw i bet the computer or phone your using has "micro plastics" and other "pollution" issues .

yet here you are making silly and assinine comments about this material

oh the irony, oh the hypocrisy, oh the "do as i say not as i do"

Scrounger

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Sounds like a very potentially revolutionary material. My chemistry knowlege is worse than useless but wouldn't the nitrogen make it highly flamable/explosive with heath/shock (especially if used in the presence of aluminium)?

a reply to: butcherguy

It's what's known as a planar lamina - techinicaly yes it's 3D but the depth dimension is 100s of billions of times smaller than the dimensions of length and width so can be considered 2D; or rather the useful/relevant data and calculations are in two planes.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Doesn't graphene oxide display similar characteristics?

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Interesting.

My question is this:

Is it REALLY 2 dimensional? Doesn't everything in our universe have height, width, depth when you zoom in far enough?

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:58 AM
link   
With nothing but a bias, you can see aliens, however you define that, at the root of everything! They probably burned your toast and made your wife grumpy at you too.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
Interesting.

My question is this:

Is it REALLY 2 dimensional? Doesn't everything in our universe have height, width, depth when you zoom in far enough?

It's a very good question. It's 3D not 2D but as the height is so tiny compared to height or width the maths and physics applies a 2D approach.

You're both correct that they are all 3D but they're considered 2D in the maths for simplification in the calculus equations. It comes to the same answer as considering the object 3D but the process is much quicker as it uses doube rather than tripple integration

I'm very rusty on the subject but I think there's an underlying limit of zooming in called the Plank constant or Plank length which is universal limit where you can't zoom in any further and the laws of the Universe mean an object can't exist that is the same length or smaller than the Plank length.

Quantum mechanics, quantum zeno effect, time's arrow and lots of spooky action starts happening when zooming in to that level which is incredibly mindblowing but impossible to understand/comprehend.

edit on 4-2-2022 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I think they say it's 2D because the bricks they use are atoms and they use that as the dimensional unit.

So the dimensional unit is not fractions of m or feet, but point like.

Cool stuff, I can see film-dip coating stuff to make it more robust too. The material floats on a solution and you dip the part into it, material wraps around it.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

Nah, you don't convince me at all. It is just a plastic, want it or not. Like the one you use for a brain: plastic. Gnerating plastic ideas in a plastic world. Do as I say: don't do as I do.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 01:03 PM
link   

How can it actually be 2D? Can't make sense of it truly being 2d unless 2d to our eyes I dunno.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 03:17 PM
link   
A paper thin sheet of armor that can effectively endure violent penetration or bulk weight is useful regardless of semantics.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:40 PM
link   

for those talking of cheap plastic, clearly have not
had to buy a replacement PLASTIC molded honda brand
tail light assemblies $500 per side and 6 hours of labor @$120.00/hr
.removing trunk lid and bumper

or toyota prius remove front bumper and light assembly to
replace pop-in $90.00 headlight bulb (sidetracked, sorry)

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:36 AM
link   
3D printer with this and you can fabricate just about anything.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I've been hearing about amazing things developed in (usually) college labs that will be revolutionary (carbon nano tubes anyone?) and then you wait ten years and hear nothing. Academics rely on funding of research to keep their jobs. So take grandiose claims with a grain of salt.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Nah, you don't convince me at all. It is just a plastic, want it or not. Like the one you use for a brain: plastic. Gnerating plastic ideas in a plastic world. Do as I say: don't do as I do.

now that you got that childish emotional rant off your chest feel better?
good

now care to defend all the "polluting" plastic in the cell phone you use and the computer you use?
among all the other hazardous "polluting" materials you own / use ?

hypocrisy at its finest

scrounger

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Stop croaking and jumping from pebble to pebble.

So, you mean that just because there are a lot of pollutants it is of no concern whether new pollutants are manufactured? Certainly that sounds stupid.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Stop croaking and jumping from pebble to pebble.

So, you mean that just because there are a lot of pollutants it is of no concern whether new pollutants are manufactured? Certainly that sounds stupid.

sigh
again deflection
along with notice he does not see the hypocrisy of "micro plastic pollution" but uses (and bet dollars to donuts updates every chance he gets) a cell phone that contains PLASTIC material and batteries that the element when mined produces more hazardous waste and destruction than love canal.

but hey rant on buddy rant on

best example why your point is silly as any other evidence we all could provide

scrounger

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

No unless it's azide-based or something.
It may be some kind of expensive hard nitrile or cyano-polymer. Just another rubber.
While it's interesting I dont expect it to replace PET bottles or to have a transparent car body. It wont be cheaper than carbon sheets IMO. Just another hard to manufacture polymer.
I'm still waiting for the isosorbide polycarbonate that bio-degrades into urea fertilizer.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 10:28 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 11:39 PM
link   

This sort of material, and many new variations of it, created by AI, will replace most all of the materials we use right now. Imagine clothing that never wears out and deteriorates.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join