It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VooDoo Donuts??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm not a particularly big fan of donuts. I mean, I like one on occasion, but I'm really picky about what I like (i.e. plain cake with crispy edges).

Seems though, some people are just nuts about donuts, like REALLY nuts! I've got a couple employees who were talking about donuts recently. Pretty soon several other people joined in and they were all raving about this place called VooDoo Donuts. I never heard of the place myself. Everyone seemed completely shocked that I'd never heard of VooDoo Donuts...OMG!!! **GASP!**

Anyway, this one Engineer gal who works for me was telling me about how her and her daughter flew to Portland JUST to get some of these donuts! (now it's my turn to **GASP!**) Like really??

Well, recently I guess they opened a location here in Colorado, and this gal has been promising she'd bring in VooDoo donuts anytime I ever wanted (because it gave her an excuse to go to the place...she doesn't eat them...LOL!) Recently, she just "told" me she was bringing them, no matter what I said. Okay then, bring some in.

She did bring them in, true to her urging and promise. I tried one, and it was 'okay', but nothing I was going to do a backflip over. Now I had a problem. She'd gone to all this effort, and talked about them endlessly, and now...she was looking for a response from me! What to do? I didn't have the heart to tell her they were just "okay", but fortunately for me I don't show a lot of emotion anyway (and most people think I'm gonna rip someone's face off all the time), so I kind of used that as my cover. I said they were "great" and left it at that. I mean, they weren't bad or anything, but it wasn't like the end of the world either. ...plus, I never lie...about anything. And this was my experience with the fabled VooDoo donuts.

Are you a donut person? If so, have you ever heard of VooDoo donuts, and what do you think of them? Am I way out in left field here?

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I've been to VooDoo Donuts. Went to two locations in Portland.

They are good but I wouldn't say phenomenal. I've had better. Apparently, one of the owners is a minster and they do weddings at one of the locations.

The store is quirky and it is in one of those hipster neighborhoods. I see why people like it but yeah, kind of over rated.

Some of the best donuts i've had are at some old school bakeries. Nothing fancy. I am not a fan of donuts with fruit loops and # on them. Just give me a plain donut or maybe a glazed or simple donut twist.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Never heard of VooDoo Donuts, but there is this little place that opened up right as the pandemic was starting down the road from us, and it thrived!

No wonder! It has some pretty good donuts.

KC Fresh Donuts

They don't have a web page, just a fakebook, but they make 'em fresh every morning, and I generally have one cinnamon cruller a week with my coffee on my way to work. The thing just about falls apart it's so light and fluffy.

Never failed that they would have a line when capacity was restricted.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Voodoo donuts comes up over and over again with pizzagate .

Especially their logo.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Voodoo donuts comes up over and over again with pizzagate .

Especially their logo.

Where? Here on ATS?

I must have missed it. I sure remember all the Pizzagate stuff though. Maybe I just never noticed the donut thing.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I experimented with making donuts in the deep fryer. I found almost any of the donut recipes I had with just a tad of a special additive came out great....a little bit of a powerful flavoring makes donuts and pancakes great. Tequila Rose. I am talking about maybe half a teaspoon of it in a big batch of pancakes or enough batter to make twenty donuts.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I actually got married at Voodoo Donuts, just for sh.. and gigs. Was on holiday from Australia, and saw it on ManVFood. Was a great day. But I agree the donuts are average.

imgur.com...
edit on 4-2-2022 by heathwithnoteeth because: photo link broken

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Because of the Spiral? I remember vaguely the connection.

But honestly, those look yummy.

Always wanted to get to Texas and try GourDough's in Austin. gourdoughs.com... every since Guy Fieri did an episode down there. That And Salt Licks. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Not a fan of donuts, if I'm getting something endemic to Portland it's hit with a bike lock by Antifa and then some wings at Pok Pok.

edit on 4-2-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not a fan of donuts, if I'm getting something endemic to Portland it's hit with a bike lock by Antifa and then some wings at Pok Pok.

Pok Pok is phenomenal. I think I had their wings maybe 3 out of the 5 days I was in Portland last time. I heard they closed....

Love the food scene in Portland. Definitely hipster heaven.... have no desire to go back though. It was bad enough with the homeless/addicts around 7 or 8 years ago when I was there last.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Last time I was there they were still open, The NYC location closed however.

ETA: I just checked, all locations are closed.

edit on 4-2-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Only been to the one at City Walk in Orlando. They're overrated, but not overly expensive.b they rely more on the gimmick than actually being great.

I wouldn't go out of my way for them. Stick to the mom and pop shops you know and love.

Full disclosure: I only like plain donuts to dunk in coffee, plain donuts with peanuts on them to enjoy on their own, and apple cider donuts to dunk in cider. Anything else may as well just be called a personal cake in my mind.

top topics

join