It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MP3 to Text?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm trying to write a book (emphasis on 'trying').

I'm looking for some kind of an application, preferably free (or cheap), which can reasonably transcribe .mp3 into text, like a Word document. Just plain text (.txt) is fine, just need to get the audio into a text format without having to retype all of that audio myself.

I write a lot, some with pencil, some typing...and also quite a bit in audio while driving or not someplace where I can write or type.

Anyone have any suggestions??

All help would be appreciated!

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I'm looking for some kind of an application, preferably free (or cheap), which can reasonably transcribe .mp3 into text, like a Word document. Just plain text (.txt) is fine, just need to get the audio into a text format without having to retype all of that audio myself.

I write a lot, some with pencil, some typing...and also quite a bit in audio while driving or not someplace where I can write or type.

loads of online services not sure of costs though and it would work for you purposes

www.happyscribe.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:46 PM
link   

You need some kind of argorythym type caption application then. Something like text to speech. If they made a voice recorder to do this, somebodies bankin some cash.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:48 PM
link   
There is a YouTube to text website, some member posted it today in its OP, thread was about a medical conference.

You could upload it to yt and then use that.

C sharp framework has speech recognition, but if you're not aware off it you probably can't write c sharp.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

The costs of online transcription is huge! No way am I doing that...until I get a bestseller going. At the moment, Stephen King I am NOT. Just an amateur.

Also, just as a note, I have a little voice recorder I use to record so I don't have to put any of this on my phone. I know there are some cloud services which use your phone, but I'm sure the reason they are on your phone and not available for a laptop is because they're stealing the audio.

edit on 11/9/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I wonder if Alexa cant scribe text to speech? Google? I mean my phone understands words and types them in chat. Maybe play mp3 through phones chat app and somehow capture the text?
edit on 1192021 by GuitaristRob because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuitaristRob
I wonder if Alexa cant scribe text to speech? Google? I mean my phone understands words and types them in chat. Maybe play mp3 through phones chat app and somehow capture the text?

Exactly! That's what I'm hoping to find.

If I could play the mp3 audio into a speech to text app, that might work.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuitaristRob

Exactly! That's what I'm hoping to find.

If I could play the mp3 audio into a speech to text app, that might work.
But finding a app and what proper keywords to search for it? If not then we might have stumbled onto something?

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Speech-to-text is the term you are looking for.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
Speech-to-text is the term you are looking for.
But finding a app to make it mobile? Hmm?

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Update....

I actually figured it out...and it's way easier than I thought!

I just used MS Word to do it.

It's the "dictate" function.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
Cool i figured there was a way. Being a Guitarist I have been through many voice recorders to record my sessions and never heard of this on a Mp3 recorder. even the Zooms or Tascam recorders's which can get pricey. But I did know my phone has this function.

Glad you found what you needed.

BTW, I dig you and your post's. I have learned a lot.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Try the Microsoft Store .

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Eric Bana as 'Chopper' is one of the best performances in film history. Probably in the top ten all time greatest.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Try loading it into google translation.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

He did a excellent take on Chopper and kept it real every Australian i talked to was shocked that he acted so well for a comedian , the fake chopper Ronnie johns is a good laugh but the real chopper hated him

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 09:09 PM
link   

There used to be "Dragon Dictate" which was one of the better voice to text softwares 'back in the day'.

Not sure if it has kept up with the times though.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: GuitaristRob

Cool, glad you found that the Word app does that - I didn't know.
I was going to suggest using the voice feature in text then copy-pasting to email to yourself, but if it works in Word that's good to know, I could use that on my notepad.
You came with a question but gave me an answer. Thanks!

edit to add oops thought you were the OP for sec but nope. but still thanks!
edit on 9-11-2021 by FraterAetherius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2022 @ 02:04 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

join