It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone watching the series Foundation on appleTV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Foundation is based on the foundation sci-fi novel by Isaac Asimov. I really wasn't expecting much given I havn't been ethusiastic by any sci-fi series since firefly, But quickly fell in love with this series. The storyline, actors and visual affects are all first class and it has a little bit of games of thrones feel about it which keeps me anxiously waiting for the next episode.

I have noticed the some of the reviewers in IMDB are peeved with Foundation. They were expecting the seriies to strictly follow the storyline of the book which obviously has been heavily adapted for television. Given its one of the few novels from Asimov that I havn't read. That point doesn't concern me. It stands on its own as a great series,

Not an apple fanboy. But if apple can continue creating emtertainment at this level they will certainly be a major player in entertainment in the future.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Oh, thanks for that.

I didn't know about this adaptation.

I read the series as a teen, so I have to say I'm interested in seeing what they have done with it.

This won the Hugo award for "Best All-Time Series" in 1966, even before The Lord of the Ring.

I'll be away now!

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

I knew I wasn't going to give Apple money and I hadn't read the books. So far I'm halfway through the second one and they're fantastic. I can also see why it would be very difficult to adapt direct to a TV format so I understand the changes. When it hits another provider I'll give it a watch, if it doesn't then I won't.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

So far I'm halfway through the second one and they're fantastic.

thanks, will have to give the novels a read after the first year if tv series is finished. I half remember starting foundation but perhaps was too young to enjoy it.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 06:29 PM
link   
My husband and I are waiting for the series to finish before we start watching so we can binge watch it.

It's his favorite book.

We're both very excited to see it!

Can't wait!

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: Hypntick

So far I'm halfway through the second one and they're fantastic.

thanks, will have to give the novels a read after the first year if tv series is finished. I half remember starting foundation but perhaps was too young to enjoy it.

I have read the trilogy thru twice myself. Once in myu College days and once a bout 3 years ago. Great story line. Awesome thinking on the future of not only man but many concepts in automation that Asimov projected would be. This series gets into the psychic ability of humans. It can be used to cause trouble or to create a future by design that meets the needs of the future. People will follow a prescribed path was the prediction. That would be based on the past actions and their impact on humanity, to oversimplify the concept.

edit on 6-10-2021 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2021 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

"This series gets into the psychic ability of humans."

That would appeal to me. There was series called the Galactic Milieu Series (four books) by Julian May that also included the psychic ability of humans. Loved that series.

Yes you convinced me to get foundation books, thanks

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

It is annoying having to wait week after week for new episode, Also be cheaper to join apple for just a month. Hope not dissapointed.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Yeah, I think it's great. I'm familiar with Asimov but had never heard of Foundation so when I watched the first episode I was thinking it was some kind of Star Wars spinoff with them referencing the Galactic Empire. The more I watched I realised it wasn't anything to do with the franchise. Solid Sci Fi with gravitas.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Defo going to watch this after I've finished 'For all mankind'

It's gonna have to be realllllllllllly really good to beat this though. This show is phenomenonal!
edit on 16-10-2021 by Albert999 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2021 by Albert999 because: Because apple phones

posted on Oct, 17 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
My husband and I are waiting for the series to finish before we start watching so we can binge watch it.

It's his favorite book.

We're both very excited to see it!

Can't wait!

Just a heads up, there's been some criticism by fans of the book. Not following the source material or characters properly.

But as someone who has not read the books, i think the show is fantastic.

Maybe just go into the show with an open mind, not expecting it to be exactly like the books.

posted on Oct, 17 2021 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CptGreenTea

Roger that will do.

I'm familiar with the book, but cannot grok it.

If there is any criticism of deviance from the text my husband has issue with, he will explain it to me.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Big Sci-Fi fan here, and I have to say, Foundation looks very promising. I was worried the whole show would take place on one planet, with little space and only spaceships in the pilot (i.e. the big bucks being spent to impress with the pilot). But I'm seeing multiple different types of spaceships, lots of sci-fi technology (including proper phasers and blasters rather than guns with no special effects) and interstellar politics, and every time I think, OK, now they're going to stick to one planet (like Terminus), the story finds its way into space and other planets again. I'm pleasantly surprised to the point of not even being too bothered with the woke casting.

My rating of the show is on par with the Expanse, but the backstory with the Empire and various races from different planets is already more interesting than the somewhat limited 3 major parties in the Expanse (Earth, Mars and the Belt).

It could use some more male lead characters though, that are not mere extensions of the female lead characters (like boyfriends or those who you know are going to die because they don't have woke plot armor). But I guess with modern woke media you can't have it all. Not sure if it's going to be better than the Expanse though, but with that show seemingly ending (read something about a last season) it's good that I have something to replace it with. Cause shows like Lost in Space, Another Life, ST Discovery and the Orville aren't gonna cut it. And Picard takes forever to bring out a second season, if they wait any longer, Picard is gonna die of old age before they finish over 40 episodes (which used to be 2 seasons worth of entertainment*). *: Really not liking the 10 episodes per season approach modern entertainment media is using. In practice, we only get like barely 3 seasons worth of entertainment for the Expanse (after 6 modern-sized seasons), and now it's already ending.

And the Mandalorian is a bit limited in terms of space and spaceships it seems. Plus it's a different style, no interstellar politics and major interstellar events (with the potential of some interstellar warfare perhaps, which hopes I still have for Foundation, the potential to be more like Babylon 5, ST DS9, Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis is there).
edit on 21-11-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Thanks whereislogic. I will keep an eye out for the expanse when I next swap streaming providers. Watched the last episode of foundation. Painful to have to wait another 12 months for next season.

join