It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WeChat (China): barbecue for Russians is not just food, it is a whole culture.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Welcome to the forum, my friends.
Today I want to offer you a culinary sociological post. Chinese journalists spent the end of the week in the company of the Russians and described what happened in an article in their essay. I will present this article to you as the original article is in Chinese.

"Summer in Russia is the time for barbecue. The smell of fried meat can be heard everywhere - outside the city, at home, by the road ... No barbecue is not a problem! Russian ingenuity will help. Even rain and cold do not frighten Russians when it comes to barbecue.

In Russia, barbecue is not just food, it is a whole way of life. When Russians invite them to barbecue, it means "get together with friends and go out of town to have a tasty meal and have a good rest."

Thus, barbecue in Russian is an incomprehensible philosophy that combines eating and leisure.

Russian kebab is not equal to barbecue

Charcoal-fried meat is eaten all over the world, but it will taste different everywhere. Russian kebab has nothing to do with barbecue; it can be said to reflect the daring and courageous character of the Russians.

In Russia, meat is not just fried; before frying, it is still necessary to perform a number of preparatory steps, thanks to which the shish kebab acquires the same taste. The most important thing is to prepare the marinade. Usually meat is marinated overnight the day before frying. So it turns out juicy, soft and melting in the mouth. There are a lot of spices for kebabs, but the basis of any marinade is salt and pepper.
Interestingly, there is no perfect marinade formula. The easiest recipe is to mix mayonnaise, onion and lemon. However, the most important and difficult thing is to keep the proportions correctly. In Russia, marinating meat deliciously is the highest skill acquired through numerous trials and errors. Marinade from experienced craftsmen can include sour cream, beer, wine, olive oil, honey.

After the meat is thoroughly marinated, you can start frying. In Russia, there is a special device for frying barbecue - grill. It is a box made of several sheets of iron. A brazier can be bought in a supermarket at a very affordable price - about 150 rubles. Some people make a brazier on their own, while everything that is at hand is used - tree branches, bricks ... This does not affect the taste, they say that it turns out even tastier. The most delicious kebab is the one that was fried on the wood. But most people use coal, which is convenient and time-saving.

Men are responsible for frying the barbecue, usually there is one person at the barbecue, since the process requires confidence and patience. It is important not to let anyone doubt the technology of frying, not ask for advice or use a thermometer to measure temperature. Shish kebab does not like fuss. Dexterous hands and a keen eye are important here.

Unity with nature is the true meaning

Shish kebab can be fried anywhere, but it tastes best in nature. Moreover, the guarantee of a delicious barbecue is a soulful company and unity with nature. It is thanks to this that it is possible to have a good rest both in body and soul.

Choose a place where you can go and where there are few people, and spend the weekend filled with delicious barbecue flavor and hilarious laughter. However, don't forget about safety and civilization! Don't leave trash behind. Let those who come to this place for barbecue next time think that there was no one here. Most importantly, handle fire carefully. Safety first! "

On my own behalf, I want to add that basically everything described is true. But each company has its own traditions. In my company, friends-classmates who graduated from school in Baku and carried friendship through the decades. When we gather for a barbecue, we always have an abundance of musical instruments (guitars, amplifiers, speakers, microphones) and songs from our youth. The hit is always the Russian-language rendition of the hit Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.
I would like to present you a video from one of these meetings. Here we are in the Caucasus, in the mountains, at a tourist base. Among us, in addition to Russians, are citizens of Azerbaijan, Armenia, the USA (San Diego) and Germany (three families).

Please criticize)))

Thanks!
edit on 13-9-2021 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Sounds like any other day in America. I do this a few times a week, I'm not trying to be rude, but what is the issue being brought up?

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: 5ofineed5aladder

We are talking about the culture of barbecue in Russia. We know how to work, relax, and be friends ...
And friends from different parts of the world flock to such barbecues.

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 10:25 AM
link   
That still sounds like every weekend to me. reply to: RussianTroll

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
That still sounds like every weekend to me. reply to: RussianTroll

Of course, not every weekend. Moreover, there are certain restrictions for our foreign friends. But culture exists, and we gather in the Caucasus Mountains at least 2 times a summer.

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Nice to see Russians are regular folks just like home.

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

But do you roast marshmallows over an open fire?

Where I grew up. If there wasn’t a bond fire, it wasn’t a party.

Anyway. The USA has added in addition to grilling brats, chicken wings, hamburgers, and roasting hotdogs over a fire, smokers. Smoked brisket, smoked pork butt, smoked pork chops. Smoked ribs.

Then you have pulled pork, or pulled chicken.

Beer can chicken seems to have passed out of favor.

Man I’m hungry.

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: sraven

There are Armenians, Azerbaijanis, Jews, Turks, Germans, Americans there. And they are all Russians))))

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Oh. Then there is clambakes and sea food boils. In Louisiana you have mud bugs.

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

But do you roast marshmallows over an open fire?

Where I grew up. If there wasn’t a bond fire, it wasn’t a party.

Anyway. The USA has added in addition to grilling brats, chicken wings, hamburgers, and roasting hotdogs over a fire, smokers. Smoked brisket, smoked pork butt, smoked pork chops. Smoked ribs.

Then you have pulled pork, or pulled chicken.

Beer can chicken seems to have passed out of favor.

Man I’m hungry.

We fry meat like this:

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

originally posted by: sraven

There are Armenians, Azerbaijanis, Jews, Turks, Germans, Americans there. And they are all Russians))))

We have all those folks here too.
We call em Texans.

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 03:09 PM
link   
absolutely wonderful!

Reminds me of being on the beach amongst the sand dunes and having dug a pit then gathering rocks and seaweed for a good old fashioned Lobster/Clam Bake.
Check out Google Earth for the Isle of Gosnold/Cuttyhunk
(same island), zoom in on the far eastern sand spit of land.

Google Lat/ long: 41.422500, -70.911944

copy&paste the numbers on google earth, search..

This was an abandoned lifesaving station, now a home from the late 18 to early 1900’s where we camped summers during and after high school.
I could write hour long stories about this place!

Thank You for sharing this RussianTroll. Those must have been great times!

PS. The small island island just to the north is named Penikese and was a leper colony until the 1920’s.
Imagine that!
edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: stuff

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 03:12 PM
link   
cooking meats over an open fire is pretty much world-wide
maybe not in India

probly better translated 'grill' than 'fry'.

knew a military guy spent some time in Germany. they like to grill sausages and put them on dark bread with brown mustard. maybe some kraut. good stuff.

enjoy your grilling, troll. its good for everyone to enjoy life.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: clarify

posted on Sep, 13 2021 @ 03:22 PM
link   
🤣🤣🤣 ^5

a reply to: sraven

top topics

join