It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 06:25 PM
link   
So I got selected for a job up in Alaska (yay me get to start my career change), but having never lived that far north I have a probably stupid question but need to ask it anyways.

Diesel or Gas for a vehicle?

I know enough to know AWD, 4x4 will be needed, as I plan to hunt and fish and hike when I have free time.

I am scanning whats available up there so I can try and get an idea of what kind of prices I am looking at, but I am just not sure which handles the cold better.

I will be working up near North Pole Alaska, they have 1 month avg high is -1, and another where it is 0 F.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf
Most vehicles you run into up there are gonna be diesel. Problem is leaving them running all the time while working depending on your career. You’re gonna need a battery heater, a cover for your radiator to keep the coolant warmer and close off any areas vulnerable to freezing. Diesels are much heartier in cold weather and also last a lot longer than gas vehicles. Their piston rings are almost twice as thick so you can get much more mileage from them. But, the downside is keeping up on maintenance CONSTANTLY. If you neglect it your rig will fail when you need it most. Do research on the most dependable Diesel engines there are and in my humble opinion Cummins are tried true. Yes, they have their hiccups but as far a reliability they are supreme. Always run a additive for anti-gelling for the diesel fuel. Like I said strict maintenance will be your friend. I’ve always lived in very cold climates in the coldest parts in the lower 48. North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and my home state of Upper Michigan on Lake Superior on the peninsula. Diesels have always been king but, do your research and get educated so you can make the best decision that fits your needs

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
So I got selected for a job up in Alaska (yay me get to start my career change), but having never lived that far north I have a probably stupid question but need to ask it anyways.

Diesel or Gas for a vehicle?

I know enough to know AWD, 4x4 will be needed, as I plan to hunt and fish and hike when I have free time.

I am scanning whats available up there so I can try and get an idea of what kind of prices I am looking at, but I am just not sure which handles the cold better.

I will be working up near North Pole Alaska, they have 1 month avg high is -1, and another where it is 0 F.

Gas is fine. I drove a Jeep/V8 and had an engine block heater and plugged it in while parked. Many times, people leave vehicles running, when running into a store. Most drive gas. Not everyone drives AWD/4x4. When I lived there, average temps in the winter were down to about -30. I lived close to North Pole. 0 degrees will feel warm once your body acclimates. lol Not joking.
Have fun in the outdoors. There is literally nothing else to do there. It is amazingly beautiful and crazy quite when you are out there all alone.
edit on 2021 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

join