It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Exploited 0-Day, Not 2018 Bug, to Mass-Wipe My Book Live Devices

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
Maybe it's just my OCD but I actually like the need to declare and initialize variables. I can see the benefit in knowing what you do but I can see the benefit for fast but dirty solutions, too.

It's a bit like doing math for me. I sort my variables neatly on top, know what I have and need and then I go for a solution.

I see that especially C# does a lot of work for me and I can focus on different things. The garbage collector.... Friend and foe haha.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I agree. Leaving uninitialized variables is a mistake waiting to happen. I use D a lot, it has default values for built in types. You can explicitly set a variable to void though and it's treated as uninitialized and can cause undefined behaviour like C.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I am looking for a language that has built in thread safety.

what I am on to:

I have ton's of driving data from different sources that I want to equalize / stream in a clocked manner because I want to overlay it on video. I just don't have any widgets or panels so until now I process all the data and draw it on bitmaps, replace those bitmaps via timer that is setup to trigger every frame of the video.

The problem is, every dataset isn't equalized to the same sample rate. I get RPM values six times more often than let's say the speed calculated from the GPS data. I've tried to just ignore this issue and hoped it would all look seamless in the video but I still can not test it.

I use c# for this one and self built timer class from System.Threading.Timer (may not be the actual namespace) that doesn't fire in a fixed interval but tries to adapt to the time lost. So I store the DATETIME in a variable and then calculate the next firing DATETIME, check several times in between and adjust the sleep(). Statistics show it is very close to the timeframe I need to make it all fluid on screen.

I thought about using more than fourty (40) individual timers too, one for each sample rate but wanted it to be self managing. Maybe that's to big of a bite. On top if it, I run into threading issues and at some point, it all crashes.

VS then tells me that at some point, my program tried to re-instanciate itself (WTF) and thus crashes because there can only be one instance of the starting FORM-class. I also get the infamous red-cross in white space occasionally. Sporadically, there's nothing I see that triggers it. It happens at the freakiest times even with 1:1 data reused for hundred times, sometimes it just goes broke.

I am up to my ears in trouble lol.
edit on 1.7.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: up TO my ears, not up IN my ears..

edit on 1.7.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Thread safety is something you, as the program author, must account for. Various languages offer different concurrency/threading tools, but it's up to you to use them correctly.

The Go language is a relatively new one that has pretty powerful and easy to use concurrency tools built into the language.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I sent you a pm. i figure it's probably better than derailing this thread more.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have one of these and on going on holiday for a week I opted, for once, to turn off some plug sockets, includingvthe router and WD NAS drive.

As a double whammy, turning off my router snafud the network connection to the NAS so it couldn't reconnect when I turned them back on again.

Only sheer good fortune and incompetence saved years of data!

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join