It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Bercow: Former Commons Speaker and Tory MP joins Labour Party

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 05:07 PM
link   
A suspicious person might think that since Mr Bercow wasn't offered a nice comfy seat in the Lords because of his actions while Speaker he's looking for a nice comfy job with the party he thinks will help him exact his revenge , Bercow puts it like this however....

"I am motivated by support for equality, social justice and internationalism. That is the Labour brand," he told The Observer.

"The conclusion I have reached is that this government needs to be replaced.

"The reality is that the Labour Party is the only vehicle that can achieve that objective.

"There is no other credible option."
news.sky.com...

He's joined a party with a leader even more unpopular than Johnson and he thinks they're a "credible option."

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

OOOORDEEEEEEER!

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Slime tends to find a way into places its not wanted or needed.
Or is it fungus?
Both fit.

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 06:38 PM
link   
In America we call them Mitt Romney's.

posted on Jun, 20 2021 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Bercow’s always come across as a self publicising ego! You’re probably right that he’s done a deal with Labour to dis the Tories in return for a cushy job.

Another reading might be that he’s doing the bidding of an anti-Boris faction within the Tories to aid the scuttling of his power. Some Tories are pro lockdowns - many of the venal corporate mouth pieces are anti lockdowns. Neither are happy with Boris trying to please both, which satisfies no one.

Again, knowing this slimy-Bercow-critter that scenario would ‘t be on principle, but for a cushy Tory job when he’s welcomed back with open arms post Boris. Although if it were this scenario perhaps he’d wait until the Covid enquiry to launch the Bercow torpedo and do the maximum damage.

Or, might the timing suggest that they know the enquiry will never come, but instead be constantly kicked down the road (as was done with the VIP-poedo enquiry)? If this were the case, then they’d act now, not wanting to leave their assault on boris to close to the next GE and risk it backfiring with a tory defeat.

There does seem to be a narrative of one attack on Bojo’s flanks after another. Dom leading the charge, then perhaps after the Chesham & Amersham Tory disaster now seemed the right time to hit him with Bercow. Makes you wonder what’s next!

But, whatever his motives are, like Dom everything that Bercow’s saying is simply echoing what’s been obvious to many for quite some time.

posted on Jun, 20 2021 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: McGinty
Actually, the interesting thing about Chesham is that the Labour party wasn't benefitting there either.
One factor in Bercow's move may be realising that the Conservative Brexit commitment is now irreversible, which means that it is no longer a good home for him.

posted on Jun, 20 2021 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Labour are no more electable now than what they were under Corbyn.

Starmer isn't particularly well liked, Bercow is despised by those who used to follow his antics when he was Speaker.

Boris Johnson is an awful Leader and PM.
His own party is also starting resent the amount of time, effort and money which is being spent and earmarked for the former 'Northern Wall' constituencies and want to go maintain the North/South divide that has held this country back for years.

What a #ing awful mess we are in.
edit on 20/6/21 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Jun, 20 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

They should write a new national anthem with those as the lyrics

posted on Jun, 20 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: McGinty

I'm sure given some time I'll be able to come up with something.
Possibly even a collaborative effort? Lol.

It is a truly appalling situation to be in.

Is anyone really surprised that The Tories are now turning their backs on the 'levelling up' pledges made prior to the last election?
I hope the people who believed that nonsense and voted Tory in all those Northern constituencies will hang their heads in shame.
How anyone fell for that bollocks is beyond me.

No investment in the northern towns and cities that are most in need of it.
Apparently traditional Tory's think these new MP's and the people who voted for them aren't 'real Tories' and The Conservatives should be spending more time and effort in re-enforcing and supporting their traditional core vote.

In addition Rishi Sunak wants to introduce massive spending cuts to pay for the pandemic and Brexit.
Guess whose first in line for these cuts?
You guessed it, all those former Red Wall constituencies and other northern towns etc.

Is anyone really surprised at all this?

John Bercow is a self-avowed Remainer, like many within The Labour Party.
That just shows how much out of synch they are with lots of their traditional voters - the self same voters who The Tory's look like they are going to abandon.

John Bercow often looked drunk or under the influence of a certain other substance when officiating in The Commons.

None of this makes Labour electable.

None of it surprises me one little bit.

posted on Jun, 20 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Here is my take on it, he is sincere.

Though New Labour was not Labour it was definitely left of were the Tory's are today and actually displaced the Tory party which at that time was more left leaning than it is today leaving it with nowhere to go but further to the right, just as Labours move to the right disenfranchised many Labour voters and disheartened them the Conservative party's FULL ON TORY move to the right disenfranchised many CONSERVATIVE Voters as they found themselves no longer centre or right of centre but suddenly Left of it.

With the removal of Corbyn and his hard line OLD labour stance this means that Labour now under a full blown Blairite leader is back were the Tory Party USED to be as far as it's principles (those of Wet Lettuce Starmer's principles anyway which are a clone of Bair's which were basically a clone of Thatcher's except for the persecution of the Unions that has always been the Tory's).

I like many voters find that I no longer have a party, I do not think Starmer will win the next election and I do agree with Bercow that the Tory's are not fit to rule, we have a parliament it seems of Idiots that vote based on argument rather than substance so a debater win's even when he is wrong (note I say Tory not Conservative there is a difference even if they are one party much like Militant and Labour were different but in the other direction, old John Major was arguably more left wing in both his policy's and the party he led post Thatcher which while Conservative was actually more Labour like than Blair's party was).

I believe that Bercow who has admitted he is now left of Centre actually represents the OLD middle ground and actually right of it it is just that our politics has had the goal posts move so far to the right that people no longer know what they are voting for, worse the cult of personality has taken over from substance in politics which is far more important.

If we want to save our country we need to vote in Labour even if we don't like Keir simple as that.

Personally I think it is downhill from now on until the public finally - if ever - wake up, Bercow has tried to wake them up, he has sacrificed friends in this move and of course his local Tory party club membership and drinking buddies but I do not believe he is alone, likely he is the tip of the ice berg among uncomfortable centre right Conservatives unhappy that there party is now once again led by hooray Harry's and not sensible self made men like it was in the days of Major etc, they though do have only themselves to blame.

edit on 20-6-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2021 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Labour are no more electable now than what they were under Corbyn.

Starmer isn't particularly well liked, Bercow is despised by those who used to follow his antics when he was Speaker.

Boris Johnson is an awful Leader and PM.
His own party is also starting resent the amount of time, effort and money which is being spent and earmarked for the former 'Northern Wall' constituencies and want to go maintain the North/South divide that has held this country back for years.

What a #ing awful mess we are in.

You know that is a good point, some of them are not happy as money they would have had in there constituency's is now being allocated to formerly traditional labour seat's.

Actually even the Liberal dems are starting to resurge, I still have not forgiven them for the Condem years but many Conservative and Labour voters are thinking seriously about voting for them, they won't win either but if enough do perhaps in the future we may see a coalition that was unthinkable under that crook Clegg in which the Lib's may Join Labour if they have enough shared votes to oust the Tory's, it's not likely to happen though as they maintain a strong policy of re-joining the EU which most brit's despite the Tory's mishandling of Brexit think would not be good for us.

top topics

join