It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Counterclockwise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   
My wife was looking at an outdoor rink picture on Facebook in Hancock and brought up something I would never dream she would think of. Coming to the rink it steered you to go counterclockwise.

We started discussing this.

Skaters usually go counterclockwise around the rink.

When we went to community dances back when I was a teen....the girls walked around the center where people were dancing waiting to get asked to dance, always counterclockwise.

Race cars go around the track counterclockwise.

We ran around the gym always counterclockwise.

When I ran track, it was always counterclockwise.

Horse races are counterclockwise.

The Olympic skating is dominantly counterclockwise, spins are usually counterclockwise too.

ETC....can go on and on with counterclockwise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------

Now we were discussing is this a normal way humans go or have we been conditioned in society to go counterclockwise?

Is it this way in other countries around the world?

We both feel more comfortable going counterclockwise, but do South Paws feel comfortable going that way?

If all this stuff is counterclockwise most of us do if possible, why does the clock turn clockwise?

Do people on the south side of the world feel more comfortable going clockwise?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----

So is this practice of working together all going the same way so we learn to work with each other to make things go smoother?

Is this causing polarization in our societies if people are breaking the counterclockwise cycle, do Conservatives prefer to go counterclockwise while liberals want to go however they want to go? Is it this simple why our society is falling apart, people are not going with the flow anymore?

Going against the flow at an ice rink could cause chaos years ago, is there more of it going on these days?

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Anything to do with being right-handed, so that it is natural to turn towards the right on entering the circle?

The orginal timepiece "clockwise" is on a vertical plane, so it's actually a "coming down on the right-hand side".

edit on 14-1-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Counter-clockwise horse racing in the United States can be traced to one person, William Whitley. ..
In 1787 he built a large brick home and added a horse racing track on the property the following year. Whitely’s track was the first one built in the United States after the revolution.

During the period Whitely created the track, Thoroughbred horse racing was very popular in England. Whitelys’ disdain for the British was so strong that he wanted to incorporate some features to distinguish United States horse racing from the English tracks.

Clay track surface: Whitley’s track surface was clay. Up until this time, all English horse racing tracks were grass.
Horses ran counterclockwise: This is the first horse track to run counterclockwise.

horsies

Everywhere else in the world it goes both ways.

And after thinking about me running I believe it's the strong foot carrying the load more (so to speak) if you run counterclockwise the lefty takes shorter steps on average around the curves.
Maybe?

edit on 14-1-2021 by Peeple because: add

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 11:07 AM
link   
You nailed it. People all over the world tend to go counterclockwise because most people are right handed.

Even our lowly animal brothers tend to be right handed except for gray Australian kangaroos and Polar Bears.

What a fascinating subject...

As a kid I was left handed but soon learned that it was a right handed world. Now I'm ambidextrous and swing both ways depending on the prevailing environment.

edit on 14-1-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Traditionally, clockwise was associated with Good and counterclockwise, or widdershins, with Evil.

IIRC, it's something to do with the movement of the sun.

The Nazi sunwheel, or swastika, spins widdershins...
edit on 14-1-2021 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
My wife was looking at an outdoor rink picture on Facebook in Hancock and brought up something I would never dream she would think of. Coming to the rink it steered you to go counterclockwise.

We started discussing this.

Skaters usually go counterclockwise around the rink.

When we went to community dances back when I was a teen....the girls walked around the center where people were dancing waiting to get asked to dance, always counterclockwise.

Race cars go around the track counterclockwise.

We ran around the gym always counterclockwise.

When I ran track, it was always counterclockwise.

Horse races are counterclockwise.

The Olympic skating is dominantly counterclockwise, spins are usually counterclockwise too.

ETC....can go on and on with counterclockwise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------

Now we were discussing is this a normal way humans go or have we been conditioned in society to go counterclockwise?

Is it this way in other countries around the world?

We both feel more comfortable going counterclockwise, but do South Paws feel comfortable going that way?

If all this stuff is counterclockwise most of us do if possible, why does the clock turn clockwise?

Do people on the south side of the world feel more comfortable going clockwise?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----

So is this practice of working together all going the same way so we learn to work with each other to make things go smoother?

Is this causing polarization in our societies if people are breaking the counterclockwise cycle, do Conservatives prefer to go counterclockwise while liberals want to go however they want to go? Is it this simple why our society is falling apart, people are not going with the flow anymore?

Going against the flow at an ice rink could cause chaos years ago, is there more of it going on these days?

Counterclockwise is not always best.

Apparently Left is Communist... makes sense.

BTW
I am a leftie and feel just as comfortable going either way.

edit on 1/14/2021 by Firewater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
You nailed it. People all over the world tend to go counterclockwise because most people are right handed.

Even our lowly animal brothers tend to be right handed except for gray Australian kangaroos and Polar Bears.

As a kid I was left handed but soon learned that it was a right handed world. Now I'm ambidextrous and swing both ways depending on the prevailing environment.

Hmmm. Wording of that last sentence sounds Like you could join a lettered group.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: olaru12

Hmmm. Wording of that last sentence sounds Like you could join a lettered group.

SAE, PKA, tri Delta, I have a members only Jacket!!

top topics

join