It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Árstíðir Performs Heyr himna smiður, an 800 yr Old Icelandic Hymn in Train Station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Good morning
I'm happy you clicked this thread and hope this music is as lovely to you as it is me.
This piece is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard.
I love it exponentially more that it was performed in a train station in Wuppertal Germany. And that one of the performers is barefoot
Also amusing that another has a beer in his hand.
I read through the Youtube comments (I'm a comment junkie) and one of them postulated that the group moves closer and further away at times in order to optimize the sound. I'm not sure if that's true but it sounds good

This is my Christmas hymn for this season. Wishing you and yours all the best this holiday season, and I hope you find plenty to be grateful for.

Enjoy!

edit on 19-12-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
That was lovely! Thank you for sharing.
Reminded me of monks doing Gregorian chanting in a monastery/large church.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

It definitely had that same feel to me! Which is maybe why I was so tickled to see it performed barefoot w/ beer in a small train station

I've stumbled randomly into a few impromptu public performances (the good ones, there have been some not so great ones too, lol) and they're so cool to me! Shout out to all the musicians out there!

I'm glad you enjoyed this too.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I have always been fascinated by the reverberating sound to be found in natural echo chambers like this station. As a kid I used to take my clarinet and go into the bathroom with all the porcelain which kind of gave some echo. In high school and the college I could be found in the multi floor stairwells playing with the much stronger acoustics they provided. And a good sized enclosed handball court was better yet. Though this can be accomplished now with recording devises back when I was young there was no such equipment.

Then there was this jazz flute player named Paul Horn. He took the trip to India with the Beatles to study with the Maharishi and switched from strictly jazz to more transcendental new age stuff by touring the world and playing in the great cathedrals and chambers across the globe.

Still though I guess my favorite echo piece is this one by the boys choir Libera singing ''Lament''

edit on 31America/ChicagoSat, 19 Dec 2020 11:58:04 -0600Sat, 19 Dec 2020 11:58:04 -060020122020-12-19T11:58:04-06:001100000058 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Beautiful! Thanks for posting that song

I also am fascinated by the acoustics of old Cathedrals/or other places too. We have a natural amphitheater here which is equally amazing to hear.

Here's another one in the vein:

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing OP. I is nice to take time out for a bit to appreciate something beautiful during this time of so much uncertainty.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Haunting.

That flautist, Paul Horn, I mentioned earlier? Here is one from his old album titled ''Traveler'' with a piece called '' Earthsong''
Here he plays jazzy stuff with the accustics of a cathedral joined with another boys choir that he riffs on top of.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   

There was a BBC Radio 3 programme called Late Junction that did a special on accoustics some time last year. You might find a podcast on BBC Sounds.

As I recall one report was about a huge empty water cistern, underground in the US where a music Professor regularly takes his students to experience the high quality echo, which they do, and think it's awesome.

Worth a listen.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

Thank you for the suggestion--sounds like a really cool programme and right up my alley.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   
looks like they were syncing to me.
sounded like a female vocalist but I didn't see one
and their mouths didn't match the singing.

still a beautiful song

similar
www.youtube.com...
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add linque

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Thanks for posting them

Been listening to a lot of Gregorian chants lately.

They do say some old churches were specifically designed for harmonic resonance.

top topics

join