It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The so-called "horseshoe spectrum" of ideology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:59 AM
link   

There is a school of thought that if you go far enough to the left or right, the results start to resemble each other...meanwhile both the extremes would be closer to each other than to a moderate or centrist position.

With so many left vs right lines being drawn these days, it's a theory at least worth pondering.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Never Despise

Being the oldest of ten children, I believe I was born and molded into a diehard Centrist. I have always felt distant from other schools of thought, but have been drawn to all of them, like a magnet.

The first thing I gave up on was trying to be fair. Fairness and equity are on the opposite sides of that horseshoe.

The second thing I gave up on was trying to please everyone. When you are dealing with ten siblings, someone is always going to be displeased.

My goal has always been to keep the peace. I found that understanding the why of those things most desired, gave me a lot of wiggle room and gave me a strong foundation to build on.

We put too much focus on right and left. Thinking one side is right and good and the other side is wrong and evil. When both sides are the same depending on where you are standing.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

This schema is another that is more nuanced than left-right. It gives us a 2-Dimensional plane instead of a one-Dimensional line. It would be interesting to extend this format to three or more dimensions IMHO...

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Like the the 2D model that shows both Stalin and Hitler.
I think people believe that what ever party pronoun they identify as is the right path and that ideology should be followed by all. This shows that both sides of the political spectrum can lead to basically the same outcome. Too much government control and we all starve in camps.

edit on 17-11-2020 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2020 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I think this second graph is more accurate and I agree a 3D one would be more so.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Sure,that explains why the elite and street bums think more alike than say with an average Joe!!

join