It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebay, online auctions etc. anyone here do it? and what do you like to sell?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Just wanted to see if anyone here sells on ebay, other online auctions, and selling stuff online in general? And if so what do you like to sell? Or do you have a specialty and/or hobby you sell in? And how is business for you this time of year? Also what places or types of places do you go to buy inventory to sell?

I mainly sell on ebay but once in awhile Craigslist and Let It Go,
The things I like to sell are collectibles like old pocket knives, Axe and hammer heads, collectible action figures and Legos, some stamps and coins, marbles, rocks and minerals, jewelry of all types, antique and vintage tools, anvils, paper ephemera documents and maps from the 1700's to 1900's, antique and collectible books, old glass bottles, pottery, stoneware, tools used and new, and clothing used and new. That about covers that (long list I know)

I typically buy inventory from yard sales, estate sales, auctions, thrift and consignment stores, private sales from flyers I put up, online auctions and ebay, I've gotten great items on ebay that I re sold for excellent profits, I just have to take time and sift through pages of things but the deals are there!

Business is slow for me usually from end of December to late February.
So ATS member's, any of you do or like to do this stuff?

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: BerkshireEntity

One of my family members has had a very successful business on ebay for over a decade now.

They started with books. Goodwill is a good spot because books are sold at a flat rate whole some may be valuable. Textbooks are even sold pretty cheap there, so even if you don't have an eye for books, getting rather current textbooks can make some easy margins.

They eventually switched their attention to cosmetics though.

While it's not something I could ever hone an eye for... You can go to outlets and get discontinued items for up to 75% off. The same items sell for more than retail (sometimes) online since they're hard to find.

Sounds like you have a pretty similar model... Going to thrift stores and auctions to find niche items at a low price.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

A co-worker of mine makes a couple grand every few months, trading and selling silver and gold on there.
He says it's the easiest profit from the silver trade to purchase gold.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
We move a lot of surplus electrical equipment and generators on eBay. It’s not as profitable as it was due to the higher eBay and PayPal fees.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I used to buy a lot of things off Ebay until I discovered
ATS.My husband and pocketbook appreciates it!

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

So ATS member's, any of you do or like to do this stuff?

As a hobby and to get rid of stuff I have since 2012. I have also noticed a huge downward change in demand and prices for antiques and advertising as thats what I sell. It also has been mentioned on NPR. I also toss my wife's good or better purses on once in awhile. Just sold one used once for $25 + shipping last week. Used to get all over $85 each as Michael Kors and Coach used to sell like hot cakes but now so so. I have another [6] to sell but may bundle all and sell to an auctioneer. Too much work for low return so I may morph into higher value items like one of a kind China.

I am looking at leaving and going to Etsy.

Stick with it.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I sold ink and toner, for quite a nice mark up, for a while on Amazon. I bought them at government surplus auctions. I started with just one county and intended to expand, ultimately nation wide, but the company sellers lobbied Amazon to require invoices in order to sell. So the venture died. I don't know why it wasn't being done before. I'd like to think my constant undercutting of their obscene prices are what led to them shutting the practice down. It's ridiculous. There are thousands of ink and toner cartridges going to the landfill because of government waste and Amazon being complicit in the inflated price aceme.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I've been dealing collectible cardboard and pulp for almost 2 decades online.
EBay is my favorite venue, but I've used myriad of sites and apps over the years.
Yardsellr, VarageSale, Atomic Mall, Etsy, Craigslist, you name it, I've likely used it to sell something.
It's one of my sources of income that's regular, and saves me from having to slog a full time corporate job or ply my services as a contractor or bartender, etc. It's been a fun, educational ride.

new topics

top topics

join