It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retirement .... The 6.5 circle of hell...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well life kinda f# up my plans to retire by 45. and im only 33 now wth

rip

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The smoker you drink the thinker you get.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My dad was medically forced to retire about 15 years ago, major heart surgery. Had he had it his way, he wouldn't have retired at all, despite being old enough.

He couldn't stand it for long, so instead of getting back into retail where he was and liked at the time, he got back into farming and runs a farm today.

His words are infamous, "Retirement is death. You retire when you're ready to quit life, because all you do after that is wait to die."

Touche, dad, touche.
edit on 12/3/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I so agree with your Dad.

It makes all the difference in the world when you have a reason to get out of the bed in the morning. Having a purpose, a reason for living, makes life that much more worth living.

There is a big difference between working for a living and working to enjoy life.
edit on 3-12-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: OCD

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I see his point, but it's really not true that all you're doing is waiting to die. If you can make a difference in anyone's life--human or animal--let alone save the lives of others, that's pretty far from waiting to die. It's saving life and enhancing lives. It's important work we can do once we retire.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: drussell41

I think he meant that if you don't do those things you mentioned, or continued to work toward a productive life, you are wasting what time you have, and all you are doing is waiting to die.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Sorry to hear of your situation.

I had to mostly quit drinking to avoid the "start drinking too early" trap. I now drink only on holidays and when I'm on a trip. It was just too easy to drink too much.

Feelings of self-worth were not so straightforward to address. I do the things I need to do as far as cleaning up etc. around my living space. But like others here have mentioned, for as irritating as work could be, there were a lot of little upsides that I now miss. I think it is something I will work with for a long time to come.

Good luck. Cut back on the sauce if you can, it only makes things worse in the long run.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I think he meant that if you don't do those things you mentioned, or continued to work toward a productive life, you are wasting what time you have, and all you are doing is waiting to die.

Spot on, my dad can't stand sitting around doing nothing, even his hobbies aren't enough for him. If he's not being productive, he goes stir-crazy.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Thanks.

It's so much easier to communicate in person.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I'm 43 and on disability. I wish I could work. Instead I sit in my chair all day wasting my life away. I miss working and having a purpose in life. I don't drink alcohol I eat Valium all day.

My day consists of waking up in a haze from all the medications I take. Drinking coffee for the first 4 hours trying to overcome the sedative effects. When I wake up I feel like I've been given a lobotomy.

I surf the internet and play video games for a little bit. Been thinking about breeding some aquarium fish for extra money. I like fishing but I don't have anyone to go with.

I have friends and family but they're all busy with their own lives.

Lately been having a ton of anxiety worrying about the future. My mind haunts me in my sleep. I'm constantly having nightmares. I asked my doctor for more Valium. My anxiety was so bad I was smoking 4 packs of cigarettes a day.

Last week I slept 24 out of 36 hours. I couldn't even get out of bed. I've been told by a lot of people I'm a good looking guy. People can't understand why I'm not hitched. I just don't want a relationship. Been there done that. Things just never work out I'm mentally unstable. I like to keep my life as simple as possible. I do get lonely at times but I'm use to it.
edit on 6-12-2019 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Man, this sounds grim, Wantsome, especially the Valium intake.

I miss working too.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I know you have a wicked sense of humour
yes i spelled that correct .

Here is a song i choose for you

After thinking about it maybe this is a better one

edit on 6/12/2019 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I took my own advice Mrspock and got forced into getting a dog

I got a older rescue dog yesterday and it is starting to work already for me 10.30 am and needing to walk the dog and out of bed in a flash this morning to let him out , My internet ramblings are coming to a end as i now have a more important thing to pass my time with

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Four Siberian Huskies here. A joy, a nightmare, wrapped together. More reliable than any alarm clock, yet full of surprises.

Good choice.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Get a med card, you wont gaf about anything.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Pics!

Almost all my crits are rescues. That is how I got my Huskies. Rescued them to help out a breeder that had a family emergency that required her to close up operations with no warning.

I wish you love and lots of enjoyable times with your new family member.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think of getting a pet from time to time, but I'm just not someone that should be caring for another living thing.

Anytime I think about It, I remember that scene from the movie "The Heat".

"That cat came home and took one look around at your #ty life and said "no thanks man"".
Referencing the reason her cat ran away.

So i've always been more cunning about the whole pet thing, I convince my other family members to get them.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Pics!

Almost all my crits are rescues. That is how I got my Huskies. Rescued them to help out a breeder that had a family emergency that required her to close up operations with no warning.

I wish you love and lots of enjoyable times with your new family member.

(snip)

NightSkyeB4Dawn

My windows phone no longer shows up on my computer to transfer photos over , but i got a older Border collie from a dog pound resembling Stalag 14 , the place stank and the dogs were very very thin .

He has a good nature and is right at home now with me and i have all the time to look after him but he is a handfull as he pulls like a express train and the last owner never walked him on a lead or gave him much road sense it seems , i never had a dog that needed a lead before to walk it so this is going to be a first for me This one is a work in progress so to speak obviously the last owners never did that much with him but i think he knows he has it good with me the food and the walks will be top notch

IT may be a while before i post again here if ever

edit on 16-12-2019 by Ahabstar because: Removed off topic portion

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I have had to take a hiatus from the internet a time or two in the past, it can be necessary and very healing at times.

Sometimes when you rescue a pet, you can't tell if you are rescuing them or they are rescuing you.

Good luck to you and enjoy all that life has to offer.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join