It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger King Caves To PC Culture Takes The Word ‘Ham’ Out of ‘Hamburger’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Shrug.

I can't even remember the last time I called a hamburger anything other than a burger. Oops, well I can now, since I just did, but before that, I've no idea the last time.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No, wasn't me, I don't think I got into that thread. I don't see any reason to even try to defend the extravagant depths to which our social attempts to be more considerate of others has gotten to. It has gotten ridiculous. But what is also ridiculous to me is the extent to which some of us will attack it, seemingly giving no credence at all to the origins of the movement.

In this case specifically I questioned that this was the only cause of the name change from hamburger to burger. Sure it could be PC and sure it could be bending to the will of a specific culture. But to me that is being ignorant to limit our understanding of why this small, this very small change came about. Occam's Razor. the simplest reason that this change was made was the hope of increasing profits for the corporation that changed the name. Simple.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

yes it is mine and my partner is from Texas too

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think they aught to ban Gorgonzola cheese as it's offensive to Gorgons. That's one eyed people to you and me.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This is outright retarded simply because the Ham in Hamburger has nothing to do with Ham its named after Hamburg Germany LMFAO. I would understand if it was actually intended to be named after actual Ham but it is not.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Nope, those premixed packs are for meatballs or meatloaf. (They mix multiple types of ground Meat for those recipies traditionally.)

The name is for where it's from. Ham also is a CURED pork, unlike ground pork.
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Thats nice. Now every time I go into a BK and get one I'm going to loudly use the word HAMBURGER and use it as many times as I can.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The world is getting dumber everyday, shouldn't be surprised really but at the same time it stings. Ham it's an amazing food, hamburgers even better. I can't wait for these "people" to fully be hit by reality. Our future leaders will be imbeciles afraid of their own shadows and in need of constant attention to function like a human. Stop being offended by the dumbest stuff people seriously take your cultural appropriation b.s. and go far far away. a reply to: shawmanfromny

edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum because: Edited for editing.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney
Thats nice. Now every time I go into a BK and get one I'm going to loudly use the word HAMBURGER and use it as many times as I can.

OOOO the outrage! they will be looking at you, like you should be wearing a helmet..maybe vid the moment for us.

Do you live in South Africa? because that is the location of BK in this OP

This is not about BK in North America
edit on 13-9-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The Aussie version of BK, Hungry Jack's has been saying Burger for years. Their slogan for what feels like more than a decade is "The Burgers are always better at Hungry Jack's"

Also Burger King. Did anyone get triggered when they opened and didn't call themselves "Hamburger King"???

Also I honestly don't ever recall them using the word hamburger on their menues and I'm 44. It's always Whoppers, Bacon Deluxes, Cheese Burgers. Never Whopper Hamburger, Bacon Deluxe Hamburger, Cheese Hamburgers etc.

Seriously some people have too much time on their hands.

Call me when they're trying to actually ban me from eating bacon. A Whopper is a Whopper to me. It's always what I've called them, nothing else. My Hungry Jacks Ultimate Whopper and Bacon Deluxe still have bacon.

Guess I'm a Muslim sympathizer trying to ruin your way of life too for not calling them Hamburgers.

LOL. I swear, Americans calling pan cakes, flap jacks must be proof the U.S is trying to subvert my culture.
How dare Kentucky Fried Chicken open franchises on my Aussie shores. Clearly it's America invading Australia by stealth....

We can apply such logic to anything if we try.

Here's some advice. Maybe think before you speak. If your ideas are stupid it's probably because they are.
But yeah if these matters are only things in life that worry you, I'm happy for you. Your life aint that bad it seems.

Actually think I call them burgers more often than not regardless of who is selling them. Except maybe the local fish and chip shop where I like to get a "Hamburger with the lot"
edit on 13-9-2019 by AtomicKangaroo because: added words

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
You know that PC culture has gained a strong foothold in some parts of the world, when a burger chain decides to remove the word "ham" from the word "hamburger." How much sillier can this get?

Burger King in South Africa is dropping the word "ham" from its menu, after adding bacon at some of its stores, in order to be respectful of Muslim customers.

In the UK, beefburger is preferred over what is perceived as an "Americanism" to call a burger with no pork just "hamburger". Before McDonalds exploded everywhere in the late 70s early 80s in the UK, the term "hamburgers" would not been seen anywhere unless it has pork in it.

Even today in fast food outlets that aren't American, i.e Burger King and McDonalds, they sell "Beefburgers" or just "burgers". And this happend all over former colonies of the British Empire.

In South Africa many call it a beefburger or burger. So I don't think this is so much about PC outrage, but rather, being specific. They might target the muslim community because they might associate it with pork and not buy it. It's called marketing. Not Political correctness.

edit on 15 9 2019 by Debunkology because: correction

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I've seen this thread for the past few days. I have resisted reading it but I really want to know
what this has to do with political correctness (which by the way is the way your Mama raised you to be)?
What is politically incorrect about ham that they would need to remove it from the word hamburger?

Don't make me read the whole thread please. Just the bullet points will do.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Yeah.

Ya know what?

Never mind the above.

I just read the OP.

See you guys.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme
I try to disolve your ignorance about hamburgers...

It is Hamburger´s and it is a German city. The three letters that make up the "ham" in hamburger, have zero to do with ham.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Who cares? There isn't ham in it, I don't see a big deal changing that in a country where someone may be confused, and they want clarity. Just because in the U.S. it's obvious what a hamburger is, it may not be clear at all to a Muslim in a foreign country, where they may have literally never seen or eaten one before. I don't like all the PC, believe me, but it seems any more we go out of our way to find things to be outraged over.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
From now on, I'm going to call all beef burgers Ground Cow On A Bun and order them that way. Because people's skin is so thin anymore, it's translucent, and will piss people off that I didn't say "hamburger".

To further piss people off, in our house, hamburgers and cheeseburgers don't even refer to beef burgers at all. We use ground chorizo, it's a knock-your-socks off pork burger that makes beef ones taste bland, lol.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join