It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proving my citizenship...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
So I am moving from a regular reserve position to a full time reserve position in another state, I have been in the military or married to an active duty person (4 years in germany) covering a span of 22 years...

Yet I have to provide more documents to prove my citizenship, with 22 years in or associated with the military than some people have to when it comes to voting in parts of our nation.

I understand its the law, but at the same time... proving my citizenship is more important for a job than for voting in an election.. WTF that just boggles my mind, there is precious little things in our country more important than Voting, and yet here we are I need to provide multiple documents for a job... and much less for voting.

I just dont know somedays... I need a drink.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I once had someone tell me my US Passport wasn't a valid ID to prove citizenship for a job. I actually had to walk them though the I9 document to show them.

Still didn't believe me.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Frustrating thing is I will have to do this all over again in a couple years when I finish my Masters and move to a salaried position, heck by that time I am sure I will have to use some additional documents.
Can you imagine how much money the fed could save if the right hand would talk to the left hand.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Don't bother telling me, I have to work with the IRS on an almost daily basis. They seemingly have to load up their floppy disk DOS computers each time I call.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I had to provide multiple forms of ID to renew my Indiana drivers license including birth cert...
Utility bills,
Bank statements
My wife had to provide a marriage license because of the name change.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Aren't birth certificates valid proof of being born in which ever country your in? I thought everyone had a copy of their birth certificate.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The job I have now and last couple I had required the I-9. I understand why but it seems like a pain in the ass for someone like me that was born and raised here in the US. What's just as bad is the health insurance auditor made me submit two forms of proof that my wife and I are married. Our marriage license and a bank statement with both of our names listed on the account.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

If I had to provide a bank statement with both our names on it I would be hosed, we both decided to not get a joint account since at the time we married we were both active duty and since the success rate was so low for those marriages we agreed to protect each other that way.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

Yes they are, but they also required either a drivers license or passport, wouldn't even accept my military id.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
And 50 million illegals can live here and never show there ids to anyone . Honestly unbelievable

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Meanwhile in India, a country where the average wage equates to about $1.50 per day, ID is required to vote. In fact most countries require ID to vote. Even Mexico requires Photo ID to vote.

The only other country of note that does not require ID (currently) to vote is the UK, however it is required in NE Ireland.
edit on 1-8-2019 by dubiousatworst because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Don't bother telling me, I have to work with the IRS on an almost daily basis. They seemingly have to load up their floppy disk DOS computers each time I call.

Current federal employee here. You aren't far off on the DOS computers and floppy disks. We paid Microsoft a yearly payment to continue maintaining Windows 98 long after it had gone obsolete from the public. Our computers then could not handle the newer versions of Windows.

I often find myself working with state agencies, and for a very long time, when one of them would send me a Word document, I would have to send it to our IT people, as I could not open it. Our version of Office was so old it simply would not open the word doc.

Up until about 2011, we still used Blackberries as our cell phones.

2011 was the year my office got it's first copier/scanner/printer that had the option for back & white or color.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

The IRS people always complain about their hardware. I would think the investment in IRS hardware would be a no brainier and pay for itself in a year or two just in productivity alone.

I often find myself working with state agencies, and for a very long time, when one of them would send me a Word document, I would have to send it to our IT people, as I could not open it. Our version of Office was so old it simply would not open the word doc.

Good God that has to be frustrating.
edit on 2-8-2019 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

This once more proves that the private sector works much more efficiently than the public one.

But that's like saying not getting kicked in the nuts hurts less than actually getting kicked in the nuts. This is common sense.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

In my sq the IT people for some ungodly reason upgraded all the computers to windows 10, the network cant handle it as in daily crashes its nuts.

posted on Aug, 2 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The private isn't quite updated either. I have 2 puters and both of them are more than 5 years and running strong...

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I think you are confusing being a citizen (by definition) and having the documentation that proves you are a citizen.

Many valid citizens do not have any paperwork that can be used to prove citizenship. Especially the poor. Some have never worked or had a SSN or driver's license, bank accounts, birth certificates get lost or maybe a home birth wasn't recorded, no passport, or other records.

I was born outside the country to US parents abroad, so I understand your frustration.

But voting is based on actual citizenship (this fear of non-citizen's voting is delusional - they don't take those kinds of chances) not having paperwork. "Show me your papers?" what is familiar about that ....

new topics

top topics

join