It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is online activity hurting your real life relationships ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Ok, posting this, but scared of getting banned, so I tread lightly.

In the past it has affected my life. I became obsessed , staying up all night drinking. It affected my job to the point I got fired.

But it really wasn't the internet, I was unhappy in my life. If this had happened before the internet, I would have found another reason to self-destruct. Probably kept me from hanging out in bars and getting a DUI.

Sure, the internet takes up alot more time that was previously used to talking and spending time with real people in real life.

But, it can't be blamed for everything. We can chose to walk away. At the moment, I'm to broke to do anything else. So, me and my wife sit together every day and night, each with our own laptops, sharing stuff, laughing together , spending time together. Some day soon, we will have a house again and a yard again and disappear from the net.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Probably kept me from hanging out in bars and getting a DUI.

That is the positive side to online activity... you stay away from places that may lead to trouble.
I think many are finding their social outlets on the net, where they can relax in the comfort of their own homes with a drink.

Happy to hear you got your life back on track and are in a fullfilling relationship.👍🏼

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Two guys in a business meeting. 2 cell phones, 1 laptop, 2 tablets...that's 5 video screens.

Talk to your TV remote, "play Hell or High Water" and your smart TV will automatically play it streaming.

It's the future...

edit on 21-10-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I don't really have a relationship with anyone.
I wish I did, and I admit I often fantasize about spending time with people I care about and caring for them, I'm a very loving and kind considerate person.

But that's not in the cards I've been dealt by Fate.
I cannot even describe the terrible feelings associated with that or what I've gone through.

The people you're talking about, they don't realize that they are squandering the most important thing in life.
You see, you never know how lucky you are until you lose it. Then it's too late. That's a fact.

The Internet actually helps me keep my mind off all these horrible things and is a source of slight temporary happiness for me until the Universe decides to change and finally manifests someone in my life that I can take care of and give my all to.

I'm actually so damaged internally and disappointed at this point that I don't think I'll ever "Heal" or recover. Although dropping millions of dollars on me and surrounding me with a bunch of loving caring people would be a great distraction and would surely occupy my time, I'm not even sure I could truly enjoy it because I'm so disfigured emotionally and the "me" that once was is no longer and can never be again.

So I don't really worry about what everyone else does or if they reconsider their lives. It's not my business. If they want to spend their whole lives on their phone or argue with everyone, so be it.

My Soul is basically dead at this point and the only true satisfaction or Spiritually fulfilling experience I have left is to hope I can write a really good thread someday and teach others something really cool and open their minds. And even that is so difficult and challenging for me to do because I wrestle with so many demons and face so much internal strife.

To be completely honest, I don't really care what anyone thinks anymore because frankly I don't believe in any of it at all, I think it's all pointless BS. I just do my own thing and try to enjoy what's left in life. Sadly that would be my phone, computer, and the Internet (though I do enjoy sitting outside and observing nature on a daily basis, and I really appreciate and enjoy art).

If anyone reads this and thinks they need to make suggestions or pity me - don't. I'm one of the most gifted and blessed people to ever live. I'm still, despite all of these nightmares, the lucky one. It sounds crazy but it's true.
edit on 10/21/2018 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

The people you're talking about, they don't realize that they are squandering the most important thing in life. You see, you never know how lucky you are until you lose it. Then it's too late. That's a fact.

So true, and is one of the reasons I started this thread.

Reading your post was a bit heart wrenching and I know you don’t want pity, but please accept my compassion. I’m happy the internet can help you in times of solitude, as I’m sure it does many.
Many blessings to you.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Future?

Mine already does that.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Oh and to add.

The Matrix has you.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
At first no ...

but then yes ...

and then no,

But it is your way of communicating with the world.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

But it is your way of communicating with the world.

I understand that, but is communicating with the world taking a toll on personal real life relationships that also need time.

It’s a balancing act for many, and many do a great job of it... but at the end of ones life are they going to wish they played more video games, or talked to more people online, or are they going to wish they had spent more quality time with those dear to their hearts.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Yes it does!

Say for example, a family tiff.

What do Germans do?
They drink.

But now it goes on Facebook.

All the dirty laundry.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
Yes it does!

Say for example, a family tiff.

What do Germans do?
They drink.

But now it goes on Facebook.

All the dirty laundry.

It’s not just the Germans who have that problem. 😆

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
It is not hurting my real life. I find it quite helpful.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
It is sad to see an entire families face buried in their cell phones. I think after the new wears off it all a bit it won't be so exciting.

I love GPS mapping to get me where I'm going, shopping for whatever I need and finding the best price possible and also the information that's available on the web.

Those 3 things are invaluable to me. And as long as I can afford one I will have a smart phone.

What I'm not liking about smart phones is that the phone can call folks when you didn't intend to call someone. Also someone can link your on going cell phone conversation in with a 3rd party without you knowing. I've also heard of folks talking with someone and being switched over to someone else without even knowing until the other party says something.

Folks literally used to have to climb a pole to talk on the phone in different area's so I'll take today's technology over the old, not that it doesn't have some negatives.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

When I was stuck at home alone raising my grandchild for the first half of her life the internet was my lifeline- the first year especially since she was on a heart and lung monitor and taking her too many places was out of the question. My husband at the time was gone out of town for months, once even over a year, at a time. If not for the internet I would have gone truly insane for lack of adult interaction.

Now years later and with a husband who is home every night I am still active on the internet (mostly because I moved halfway across the country from most of my family and friends) and it allows me to "stay in the loop" with the people I care about as well as provides entertainment other than watching the "boob tube". When the hubs and I go out we might check our phones once or twice but that is all, and mainly because one of the kids or other relatives has messaged us. When we are home together we do mess around with the internet but we are side by side, sharing funny things we find or family news- and it never takes precedence over actual conversation or "romantic" time.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

When we are home together we do mess around with the internet but we are side by side, sharing funny things we find or family news- and it never takes precedence over actual conversation or "romantic" time.

Sounds like you have mastered ‘togetherness’ with your internet activity, and still spend quality romantic time together. That’s the right balancing act I referred to earlier.👍🏼

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

All smartphones should be thrown into the pit of hell.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

All smartphones should be thrown into the pit of hell.

This thread isn’t just about smartphones. It’s about all online activity, including computers.

The technology on all levels is great and very useful , but it can also be a curse when one loses themselves totally to the internet the majority of time. I’m not talking about studying or looking things up.. I’m talking more about the social aspect of the net.

There are circumstances where this social connectivity can be very beneficial, but sadly it also puts a barrier between real life partners, if they are not spending enough time with each other.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
PS. Is it just me, or are all Facebook profile pics suddenly circular?

Did I push something to make it that way, or did they just change it?

Facebook, Facebook profile wall,
Why am I round just like a ball?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join