It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet speed is slooooow

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

thanks for the inout... thing is Windows 7 is going to stop being supported in 2020 i think, that's why i thought I'll move straight to win 10 from win 7 but i might go back to it and see what happens in 2020

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

cheers! Noted and I'm also in touch with Microsoft on Twitter about the issue.. they have adviserd me to take 10 steps.. I'd already done 6 of them.. will try the other 4.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I did do the speed tests twice before... one had the speed at around 15mb and the next test had it at 10mb, with fibreband the speeds are upto 36mb so there is a problem here I think, could be too much traffic on the line with people playing games!

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Yesterday, I found 11.5k of junk files left on my disk from windows 10. 11.5k

11.5k ? Did you open it in notepad? It's that small, it would open easily. You won't even have to use wordpad.

11 and half thousand junk files, not 11.5kb of junk files

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Did you know you can buy refurbished desktops (with warranty) from ~£89? Some stores do pay monthly too so you could be looking at £7 a month for something that's not ancient. Laptops can go for as little as £60.

This'll sound counter-intuitive so buckle in...

When the owner of an old laptop/desktop starts doing registry cleaners, disc cleanups and adding 'speed up' apps, it's because the device is hitting the end of its life. All that scrubbing and cleaning eventually ruins the HD and things start to slow down.

Why not look locally at high street PC shops and see what their offers are? You might be surprised how far a few quid goes.

Might do that or see if anything can be done with my PC.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Recently installed windows 10

And got the Specter/Meltdown patches ?
Windows 10 requires a fair amount of memory and HDD space
Modern browsers require 2gb of memory/page themselves.
So many reasons.....

2GB per page? 91Gb free of 148 on drive C and an external drive with an extra 53.4GB free. I have plenty of storage and a RAM of 2GB

That's not plenty of storage. Nor is that enough RAM to run smoothly, IMO, unless you're just running text pages. Honestly at 8 years old, you should get a new machine. Your processor is probably way too slow.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I did do the speed tests twice before... one had the speed at around 15mb and the next test had it at 10mb, with fibreband the speeds are upto 36mb so there is a problem here I think, could be too much traffic on the line with people playing games!

Not too sure of the implementation of fiber in your country but in mine, there is a four way beam-splitter at the exchange end of the fiber. This means that each physical laser/receiver is shared over four fibers.

While the peak bandwidth of the optics is, say, 100 Megabits/Sec, this is shared. (also, note that it is 'bits' per second, not 'bytes'. In practice there is usually ten bits for every 8 bit byte, so, transfer rate in bytes is 1/10th of the rate in bits).

If one of the subscribers is full-on downloading or uploading, all the time (which can happen for some file sharing clients and web serving), then your internet data has to somehow get through 'in between' and can be dynamically slower than advertised.

Surprisingly, games usually are fairly well behaved in net usage. They tend to send and receive data in 'bursts', which leaves room for other 'bursty' data streams to send and receive at nearly top speed.

edit on 26/7/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
My main thing with slow downs is to do the usuals things

1. Open the case and remove any dust bunnies
2. Check to see if theres any problems with the HDD or memory.
3. If thats made no change burn a linux live distro to a USB stick and try it to see if everything works well as if it does then you know its a software problem.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'd highly recommend upgrading, as your computer is a potato. I mean that in the nicest way. : )

You can get a Win 10 capable computer for even 300 bucks. XP hasn't had security updates in ages (since 2014), you'd never want to use that. Great OS when it was around, but don't use an OS that no longer gets security updates, no matter how many people tell you that MS updates are evil. They actually aren't, and using a non updated OS is a bad idea.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Xp is one the best systems microsoft brought out and I suspect it may stay that way too. Everything in the future will be open door to google and all the alphabet people.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Internet speed tester

www.google.com.au... .9786.0.12028.22.15.6.0.0.0.406.2757.2-7j1j2.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..7.15.2510...0i10k1.0.YliOvCsTMQo

top topics

<< 1   >>

join