It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Treasure Hunting 2 Different Ways - Coins, Old Gun and Bullet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hello everybody ! I'm happy to share with you my second video about metal detecting. As always, I'll ask you to help me to ID some of the finds and be part of my little adventure.

Remember to give me a "Like" and subscribe if you didn't yet. Enjoy !

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I used a metal detector to find stuff around my house. You would be surprised of the stuff you miss if you always use the discriminator. I have a white's goldmaster myself, I picked it up at a rummage sale for forty bucks. It is not as fancy as new ones but I like it. I live in an area full of Iron ore and the diabase tools the old ones made from stone contain iron because they are made from iron containing rocks in the rock outcrops around here. The gold containing ores are hard to locate gold in because they contain crystal rock that absorbs the signal and buffers it and keeps the deeper pieces from being detected. Once they are unburied and some of the crystal is removed, then they can be detected better. Crystals actually absorb the signal and buffer it. The same goes with copper, in high copper areas the signal is everywhere, you have to discriminate it out to find more pure copper chunks.

I had the opportunity to talk to an archeologist/geologist who knew about this and how they took out the frequency range to find artifacts in detectors over twenty five years ago. If the concentration of gold is high enough or pure, then the detector will still pick them up.

This information can be found at some metal detecting club sites if you join. The method of how it works is above my knowledge, I would have to have studied the subject and learn geology more to understand the full scope of it.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I like the way you tied off the magnet rope. Around here a magnet often pulls up lots of dirt, the iron ore around here is an issue with that. It appears the rust in the water also builds up on the magnet. I used a magnet and rope off a row boat one time to get fishing lures from a place full of lilly pads. Some were rusty, but I did get about ten good ones. looks like part of a gun, I bet a lot of guns were thrown into the drink.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Liked and Subscribed...love video of people doing stuff. What did you use to edit and was that a gopro or your phone.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Liked and Subscribed...love video of people doing stuff. What did you use to edit and was that a gopro or your phone.

Thank you. I have a video making software in my computer but I'm using the Windows photo application for now. It's been upgraded and it's really fast and simple.

I use a AKASO action camera. It's like a gopro but way cheaper. Additionally, I carry a secondary 12 megapixels photo camera and the phone.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You are right about the discriminator on the detector. Unfortunately, many places where I go are full of soda/beer pull tabs and similar stuff. That's why I use discrimination but I constantly re-adjust it as soon I notice the soil is cleaner. Also very important is to adjust the tones settings, I use 3 tones settings. The lowest is iron and the highest is silver.

For magnet fishing it's the opposite. A clean river usually is bad for this activity. I retrieved all kind of stuff from rivers and lakes where people can pass by and throw stuff. Always look for bridges. I found this last summer :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

You are right about the discriminator on the detector. Unfortunately, many places where I go are full of soda/beer pull tabs and similar stuff. That's why I use discrimination but I constantly re-adjust it as soon I notice the soil is cleaner. Also very important is to adjust the tones settings, I use 3 tones settings. The lowest is iron and the highest is silver.

For magnet fishing it's the opposite. A clean river usually is bad for this activity. I retrieved all kind of stuff from rivers and lakes where people can pass by and throw stuff. Always look for bridges. I found this last summer :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have three old kids air guns hanging on the wall of the shop. Someone had tossed them into the spring clean up stuff years ago. They are in good shape and were free. I sold the copper fittings to the scrap yard to pay for the gas I used going out roadside shopping. They do not have spring cleanup anymore.

Too many people out there were going through the junk and finding good stuff, the store sales dropped because people could get things for free and there were hundreds of people out sorting through the stuff. I put some stuff out, people stopped and picked the good stuff up, I hate having a rummage sale, I would rather give it away.

I still put lots of stuff out for people to take at the end of the driveway that is good, it all goes. I put a note it works when I put out old tools or things like a shop vac or building materials. I have to lower my belongings, it is hard to move around in my garages and I already went out and sorted out the garbage, what is left is good stuff.
edit on 29-4-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I think I know what you mean. Sometimes I go to my attic to re-discover cool stuff I forgot I have there.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I think I know what you mean. Sometimes I go to my attic to re-discover cool stuff I forgot I have there.

All the stuff the wife and I collected over many decades is now a curse. The kids do not want us to get rid of the stuff, but they do not want to take it now. I have been collecting stainless steel commercial cooking pans and pots and cast iron pans for the grandkids, I supplied both daughters and the oldest granddaughter so far. I got the big half sheet pans for making maple syrup.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I've always wanted to do some sort of thing like that in the local river/canals but I don't fancy pulling up loads of dead kittens left in a shopping basket and when here in the UK you get to firearms it can be a whole hassle on its own as the police will consider it a low level and thus you could end up with a copper sitting next to you (the police are allowed to mess with guns) but the officer may not be trained in dealing with such things so you could be waiting for a while so someone who knows if its safe turns up and does the paperwork.

Knew a guy who did house clearances and lets just say the moment a gun was found the day was basically a write off.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Magnet fishing is very, very popular in UK. You should try it. If you find a modern gun, you give it to the police. If it's an antique that doesn't work anymore I think you can keep it.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Having seen where they have drained canal sections the only profit is in scrap metal mainly shopping trolleys, old guns pre 1911 can be owned but it becomes a pain and easier to donate to a museum especially if it's been down there for decades if there is any sort of provinence for the thing even they will refuse just a standard army pistol .

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

I know it isn't easy for detectorists in UK. Also a lot of regulations for relics besides guns that you may find. By the way, I just came back from my local Police Station, I showed them the gun and the bullet. They confirmed both objects are very old (probably useless), so I can keep them. The collection just got a bit bigger

new topics

top topics

join