It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westbury W-20 Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I was hoping to find somebody familiar with the Westbury W-20 "The Tube" overdrive pedal, the Shawn Lane pedal, for those familiar with the late great Mr. Lane, particularly somebody who owns one or is very familiar with the interior of an ORIGINAL UNREFURBISHED W-20 pedal from that company.

Recently, I bought a Westbury W-20 on line, "as is". I doubt if the pedal is working, but I know that the circuit board in it is a Guyatone TD-1 circuit board, as illustrated in the following photos.

Close Up:

A different "refurbished" Westbury W-20 "The Tube" overdrive pedal:

It would surprise me greatly if Westbury were actually using Guyatone circuit boards in their W-20 stomp boxes, but I wanted to attempt to get accurate info on that matter. The only photos I have seen of the interior of a "W-20" pedal, show the Guayatone circuit board.

Does anybody know about this?
edit on 27-9-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Wow! 30 years ago I built one from a kit...BAIA comes to mind, that thing does not have a single transistor in it!
only one vacuum tube...Amazing!

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

Yeah. They are quite famous through being used by Shawn Lane. I think even when he was using them they were no longer being produced. He said he had several of them that he kept going through repairs. Because the Westbury was difficult to get, people gravitated, so I've read, to the Nady TD-1 box and then to the Nady TO-2 box which was thought to be more "Lane like" than the TD-1.

Guyatone makes Nady TD-1 and TO-2 clones. I think they are clones. You can find them on line at eBay and the like.

Thanks for the tip on the BAIA board. It gives me something to look into.

I would still like to hear from anyone who has info as per the OP.
edit on 27-9-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It appears as if the original Westbury W-20 overdrive pedal does indeed use the Guyatone TD-1 circuit board, as pictured above in refurbished examples of the pedal and here in what I believe is an unrefurbished pedal for sale on line.

Oh well. Now I know. Most people wouldn't care about this. Arcane guitar related info. Believe me, I could write a couple of paragraphs about why I was interested in this matter, having to do with the Nady TD-1 and TO-2 pedals and the Guyatone TD-1 and TO-2 pedals. This is not really the place for it.

Edit: More confirmation.

forum.fractalaudio.com...

The Westbury was what Shawn Lane used. I started going after those to attain that sound.

Two different pedals entirely circuit wise..

Not that it matters but I think Westbury was made in the 60s. Guyatone made them for awhile. The original boards were Guyatone,
even in the Westbury models. Westbury made amps in the 60s 70s.

edit on 29-9-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join