It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada unveils its first US Civil War monument

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Link

Canada has unveiled its first monument to the US Civil War, honouring the 40,000 Canadians who fought during America's bloodiest conflict.

"No one can fully understand Canada without appreciating that the war was an essential factor in the country's birth," wrote historian John Boyko in his 2013 book Blood and Daring. "We owe it to ourselves to understand the Civil War - to heed its whispering ghosts."

While some maintain the war was fought for "state's rights", most historians agree it was over slavery, which the South sought to preserve.

Although Confederate monuments in the US have been the subject of heated debate, supporters of the Ontario monument, which commemorates those who fought on both sides, say they are only interested in history.

"We don't have any far-right maniacs, racists or anti-Semites, we're just town folks who are interested in history,"

I don't see how anyone could have a problem with this monument (beautiful piece of art by the way) or even disagree with their sentiments. At the essence of every statue lies an important time in history - nothing more, nothing less. In my opinion, context should never matter or be allowed to determine one's merit. I would even argue the history you want to forget is the one you need to remember most.

While I agree that removing a statue isn't completely erasing its history, it is a dangerous precedent that leads down that road, and at the very least it will end up distorting the truth. Why the need to succumb to feelings?

Why is even preserving history the way it was cemented so important? We'll just take a look at the debate on who started the KKK. 2 different sides that are absolutely certain they have the correct version of history.

Those who destroy history, get to rewrite history..

edit on 18-9-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

I don't see how anyone could have a problem with this monument (beautiful piece of art by the way) or even disagree with their sentiments. At the essence of every statue lies an important time in history - nothing more, nothing less.

It makes me wonder what the difference between theirs and ours are? Do statues adopt racism due to geography, or just climate?

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I think the general consensus of feelings in that demographic.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Hi Hunter! I agree, that is quite a nice looking memorial.
I have really great memories of visiting Civil War battlefields, museums, historical homes and sites as a youth and am very thankful for the history I learned there and in books (the majority of my Civil War education was definitely extra-curricular).

I also acknowledge that it is a complicated issue and believe the removal of (for example) Justice Taney from the Maryland State House Grounds was the right of the state officials and a perhaps an acknowledgement of a new era. I do hope with all of my heart, though, that education and history remain a top priority for everyone. I don't like the liberal "agenda" that I'm seeing in the media and in academia either.

I guess in the end I will say... it's complicated. And leave it at that. Nice thread, my friend!

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Acknowledgement of a new era

I actually agree with that, and would be on board with it as well. I think the problem for me, like you said, is the "agenda". I have a really hard time trusting the sincerity of anything coming from the (for lack of a better word) "left".

There are certainly ways we could go about it, but physically tearing them down because of feelings is not the right way.

edit on 18-9-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Link

Canada has unveiled its first monument to the US Civil War, honouring the 40,000 Canadians who fought during America's bloodiest conflict.

"No one can fully understand Canada without appreciating that the war was an essential factor in the country's birth," wrote historian John Boyko in his 2013 book Blood and Daring. "We owe it to ourselves to understand the Civil War - to heed its whispering ghosts."

While some maintain the war was fought for "state's rights", most historians agree it was over slavery, which the South sought to preserve.

Although Confederate monuments in the US have been the subject of heated debate, supporters of the Ontario monument, which commemorates those who fought on both sides, say they are only interested in history.

"We don't have any far-right maniacs, racists or anti-Semites, we're just town folks who are interested in history,"

I don't see how anyone could have a problem with this monument (beautiful piece of art by the way) or even disagree with their sentiments. At the essence of every statue lies an important time in history - nothing more, nothing less. In my opinion, context should never matter or even be allowed to determine one's merit. I would even argue the history you want to forget, is the one you need to remember most.

While I agree that removing a statue isn't completely erasing its history, it is a dangerous precedent that leads down that road, and at the very least it will end up distorting the truth. Why the need to succumb to feelings?

Why is even preserving history the way it was cemented so important? We'll just take a look at the debate on who started the KKK. 2 different sides that are absolutely certain they have the correct version of history.

Those who destroy history, get to rewrite history..

And here I was thinking that the war was fought because the North invaded the South after the Southerners began to kick Northern Troops out of Southern forts after declaring independence. But most historians say "slavery" so that must have been it...

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I feel bad for the hyper sensitive, treacherous defectors who fled to Canada after the election. Where will they go now?

top topics

join