It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomorrow Soldier: How The Military Is Altering the Limits of Human Performance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The Human Variability Project
www.arl.army.mil...

The Army is not alone. The Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, and their special operations forces are also funding research to collect biophysical data from soldiers, sailors, Marines, and pilots.

The goal is to improve troops’ performance by understanding what’s happening inside their bodies, down to how their experiences affect them on a genetic level.

It’s not exactly genetically engineering soldiers into superhero Captain Americas; the U.S. military insists they have no intention of using biometric data science for anything like the genetic engineering of superior traits. But it’s close. The military is after the next best thing.

Army Research Lab researchers already monitor individual subjects from six months to two years. Brooks wants to expand that to other military training environments, such as the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, and then to more than a dozen universities.

He hopes the data will reveal how people of varied size, weight, height, health, level of alertness, etc., differ in terms of the signals they send out — hence the name “human variability.” That, in turn, will help researchers gather much more precise information on how different people interact with their environment.

The ultimate goal is sensors that can tell the Pentagon how each human soldier performs, or could perform, to their best ability, from battlefield to homefront.

Not quite Super soldiers? But good enough👏

There are privacy ramifications to collecting so much information. A simple camera can gather enough biometric data on an individual to understand how small changes in heart rate can be a sign of stress.

For a fighter pilot, an analyst, or a soldier, this might help warn of decreased cognitive ability. But among the general population, stress can also be a signal of deception, depending on the context in which that stress expresses itself, such as an interview at a checkpoint.

Today’s military-funded biophysical research shows that it’s possible to detect that stress response from 100 meters away, and perhaps even at longer distances.

In theory, if you could create a lens that could capture infrared data at sufficient resolution (currently, only a theoretical possibility), you could measure brain tissue oxygenation from low-earth orbit. You could see stress from space.

The current research projects are simply whiskey Tango Fuct!

What says ATS?

www.defenseone.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
When my uncle was sent to the Korean war front, he says they (Canadian soldiers) were given pills prior to attacking and that soon enough, everyone was primed to the point they would have gladly fought the Devil himself.
He came back crazy. Whatever the military wants to do, it will not be good for the soldiers.

It seems to me this could serve to know who will be fried first and know where to send them to maximize their "sacrifice".

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi

Agree to disagree

I'm a messed up Veteran, but it led me here!

One team, one fight!

Evil knows no boundary

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: iWontGiveUP

Oh, I understand the importance of a strong army. I understand the importance of strategies. I understand the feeling of brotherhood; going to hell with someone does make you brothers. There is a part of me that understands all this.

But, there is the other part that wishes we didn't need all that. At least, not for warring. The only plus side I really see is that more people of quality should come out alive of a conflict, darwinism winning and all.
It just feels horrible saying it out loud. :/

I salute your spirit!

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

The Air Force still issues amphetamine pills to pilots.for long missions.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Dang. I looked a bit what are amphetamines, I can't believe I never did, and it said "amphetamine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert."

That's kind of scary knowing they can take some before going into a jet... Do you know if there is a negative incidence on missions or pilots, in the long run with using amphetamines?

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
America simply needs to just
wasting tax payers money, bring out the space tech,
interfering on other countries, bring back most military bases to bring the citizens to a new age.
calling everyone Communist!

If they are not going to replace the citizens, they are def replacing soldiers. Sooner or later you will no longer need to sign up as clone super soldiers will do all the work and eventually come back at you. Has anyone played F.E.A.R video game where the entire army was replaced by an evil clone soldier. Scary # and never ending war.
This # isn't Starcraft ya know. Keep dreaming.

edit on 15-7-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   

It may impair but probably only by granting more alertness and hyperfocus. Amphetamines are speed. Aka the same stuff in Adderall or many other variants people are perscribed and tak daily for conditions diagnosed ass add, adhd, ocd, etc.

College kids take 'em to cram for finals or to party as well. And i certanly believe variants of them would give most soldiers nerves of steel before battles. The nazi's used them frequently and supposedly ISIS does too.

Im sure first world militaries still occasionally do the same today just in a more discrete manner.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: NowanKenubi
a reply to: pfishy

Dang. I looked a bit what are amphetamines, I can't believe I never did, and it said "amphetamine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert."

That's kind of scary knowing they can take some before going into a jet... Do you know if there is a negative incidence on missions or pilots, in the long run with using amphetamines?

My anti-gas pills say that. And worse

top topics

join