It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it true that you can

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Is it true that you can take down a passenger plane with a green laser?

I just find it hard to believe.

Because if it were to be true, I think terrorists would be doing this every night.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: galaga

No, you don't "take it down", you blind the pilots. A green laser can permanently blind someone if it's held on their eyes long enough. No plane has had an accident because of a laser being shined in the cockpit, but several pilots have suffered injuries from being hit by one.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Not any idea if it's true, but if yes... then I'll need to ebay myself one, for the bug-out bag! I'll put it just next to the fire piston and purification tablets.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Um... Expect a visit from the FBI.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Yes...not mechanically...but by blinding pilot if alone...and/or pilot and co-pilot.....unless they can get to AUTO-PILOT instantly without looking....with a $.99 cent laser pen from the gas stations...frightening.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Um... Expect a visit from the FBI.

Why?

I'm just asking a question and I'm still not believing it.

I believe it can burn the crap out of your eyes, but I don't think anyone on the planet has a steady enough hand from a long distance. It seems that there would be a weapon in use today to do such
a task.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

That's a tiny fraction of the number of stories about this in the last few years. This has been a major thing, and getting worse every year.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
but I don't think anyone on the planet has a steady enough hand from a long distance.

Its not that, its the law of probability. enough people do it all the time eventually someone is gonna get accidentally lucky and hit dead center, perhaps hitting a contact or other convex lens and turn it into a proper laser long enough to do damage (a quick millisecond under a focused laser will cut holes through the eyeball)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Seems a simple fix with polarized windshields.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

They're looking at reactive windscreens. They recently came out with glasses that block red green and blue lasers, but they're currently only available in bulk.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Go to YouTube and look at some of the custom home made laser cannons

top topics

join