It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling south Floridians ...menu ideas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So I'm planning a Florida keys inspired menu tonight.
I have a collection of old gourmet magazines( in immaculate mostly condition) from the 1980s and I found a recipe for Fish Martinique from the Market 88 restaurant on Islamorada in the Florida keys. I often get dinner inspiration from reading about food so to that end I decided to see if I could find any other old recipes from this restaurant online. To my delight and surprise this restaurant is still in operation. I didn't see fish Martinique on the menu but I saw Black bean cilantro lime rice ( BINGO) so that's on the menu.
I'm opening with fried coconut shrimp. A crispy salty sweet favorite that i thought fit the bill.
I have keylime pie for dessert. Not homemade when Edwards makes a truly delightful version I can get in the supermarket.
I'm looking for a veggy side dish that says south Florida.
Any ideas?
🍄🍅🍆🍉🍈🍎🍏🍍

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have an idea for a spicy sweet dipping sauce for your coconut shrimp. I worked at a popular seafood restaurant on the beach in southern Maine for several years . One of our biggest sellers was the coconut shrimp with spicy/sweet orange sauce. All you need is orange marmalade and horseradish. The portions we used were massive but it was basically 4 parts orange marmalade to 1 part horseradish. Just put it in a blender on high until it is evenly mixed. It is amazing and not overpowering either way. Just a nice blend of sweet with a little heat. If you try it, let me know how you liked it.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

As a true South Floridan.

I suggest you add some Rice with Black Beans and some Sweet Plantains. Goes great with everything.

edit on 31-5-2017 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

Wow psychic connection here. I was thinking of the same thing. I have a few recipes for different dipping sauces. All fruit based.
I like horse radish as an ingredient.
One I made was mandarin oranges, saracha, lemon and soy sauce. Cooked to break down the oranges.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Look up 'Floribbean' cooking. Plenty of recipes that combine Caribbean cooking with southern recipes.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I'm doing rice with black beans cilantro and lime and the fish recipe I got calls for bananas. Good call!
What about a veggy dish?
Your photo is gorgeous!

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Uh, EXCUSE ME..........but much of the South Florida Cuisine you mentioned is of Cuban origin.

If you aren't Cuban, and you cook this food.......YOU ARE GUILTY OF CULTURAL APPROPRIATION! You may well be reported and hauled off to the re-education camp nearest you!

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Conch fritters or burgers, papaya/w raspberry or Lime Chicken or Dauphin with Jerk Sauce and Key Lime Pie.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

For a veggie dish, how about swamp cabbage, or as it's known in the civilized world, hearts of palm from the Sabal Palmetto, the official state tree of Florida. Cook it with fatback and onions.

top topics

join