It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genealogy and the Mandala affect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
AS I search through my families genealogy it seems that history has changed, that things I was raised to know through oral interpretations and even early online searches tend to change as the years go by. At first, I thought perhaps it was a simple case of not remembering the sites I visited to valid dates
and information, however the further I get from the original dates of my first searches the less I find of my original searches.

I am finding more anomalies each time I jump on to try another angle for my queries, and it appears that history either simply begins after my questions or in some cases does not match what I have previously read, researched or know to be the truth.

There are 3 family connections I have in mind which are becoming more frustrating for me each time I set out to make inquiries, they are as follow in no particular order:

1. My Native American side which should be fairly easy to connect with as my Great Grandparents were documented to have died in a Tornado back in 1933. My search for answers to this family connection has really been the icing on the cake as even the Dawes rolls seemed to have changed. Death records which were easy to find at one point have simply disappeared from public record. I have tried newspaper archives to no avail when searching for more information to this deadly tornadic event. My older computers where I have stored information are long dead and gone due to viruses and electrical outages. Here is proof of them having died in the event via NOAA archives but their names have been omitted now and I can not find them any place I look.
www.weather.gov...

SPC
ID # Date Time
(CST) Path
Length
(miles) Path
Width
(yards) F-Scale Killed Injured County Path
33-1 04/19/1933 1900 15 880 2 25 Grady Agawam - NE of Chickasha

**I will return with another family search, my Studebaker heritage***

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Before I leave for a bit, has anyone else found that when researching family history it is different now than several years ago? I know the "paid" sites like ancestry dot com have capitalized on people wanting to learn more about their families history and are a profit only interest in historical data which has made it very difficult and expensive to search through what was once free to the public archives. This closes the gap for most people to ever find information on past generations without paying a small ransom first and throughout their searches. I have paid, yet never really found anything helpful that I did not add myself, which leads one to wonder how accurate the site is when it only holds and makes available that which family puts into the site.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
some of these towns continue to have tornados, and people live there???

either way, keep investigating, sounds fascinating.

also, it was free to search past families at once? then let me guess, the international corpratists who run ancestry lobbied to hide the information right?

edit on 14-5-2017 by dantanna because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Is it anything like what has been going on in American schools? Deleting Americas history to help push globalization. reply to: antar

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Remember how it used to be in genealogy and how it is now. Before the internet and ancestry.com NONE of this stuff was online. If you wanted to search the census rolls, for example, you had to order microfilm reels from a US archives site. You could order 4 at a time. Each reel was by county. You paid postage. You waited several weeks to get them. Then you sat down at a microfilm reader at the local public library and you paged through the reels slowly, looking for anything of interest. There was no name index, though some reels had a "Soundex" that tried to put like names together with different spellings. You chose the county you wanted based on your own research. Your records were pencil and paper. You did this over and over and over again and only if you were lucky did you make any progress at all.

Today you type in a name and as likely as not, some distant cousin has already done your family genealogy. That doesn't mean it's accurate, of course. Some of them are completely bogus. Regardless, you have the convenience of the census being online and searchable. You can do a decade's worth of research in a month. And you're griping about "corporate greed" because ancestry.com wants a subscription? Please. If you EVER had to do genealogy the OLD way you would know it's worth every penny. You don't have to subscribe for the rest of your life. Get what you want and bail. Somebody put this stuff together so you don't have to. Pay them for it.

But the real kicker is the Mandela Effect? You're kidding me! How can an otherwise intelligent person give two seconds of time to this nonsense? Family histories are notoriously inaccurate. It's not just faulty memories but outright lies. The only real proof you're related to anyone is a DNA test.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

If you have a library card most libraries can give you an online ID that allows you to read genealogy books from libraries that have a genealogy dept. I did that for a while and it is free. They have changed the system somewhat...made it broader I believe. Just got a new card and haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, thought that was something you could look into. You would be seeing scanned pages and not manipulated on line material.

Also, I find going to counties often offers more insight than ancestry (many mistakes and temptation to take the easy out). Then again, many counties aren't keeping their sites up.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

The loss of older and some might term inconsequential data is no mystery.

For example, microfilm stock, that used to be the ultimate record of most newspapers, will last a minimum of 500 years, but if the office burns down, or someone merely decides to throw away boxes of old, unused stuff, it is gone.

Even digital back-up media has a shelf life (somewhat shorter than microfilm).

Just because the records are no longer available does not mean that the past changed.

top topics

join