It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Author recommendations for Fall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Well, i am supposing it is officially FALL? i haven't been paying too close attention to major dates... and it is a really wonderful time when its fun to cozy up with a book!

Erik Larson wrote an interesting true event story about a killer luring women to there deaths with promises of...if i recall correctly...marraige or a home to cook and clean in... Spoiler alert!Devil in the white city
this happend a while ago so the culprit is now not able to harm anyone...
as the nights are now growing longer and darkness is taking over...i like a good scary book.
It was a few years ago when i took my time with this somewhat gruesome story..with little to no psychological explanation as to why the killers soul was so full of hate for the victims(maybe there was and i was reading while sleepy..?)...so perhaps i will study the tale once more..or not as i see Leonardo Decaprio bought the rights to the story... a posssible movie in the future..?
So ATS...do you have fall reading preferences..?
please share either scary and made up...scary and true...or something lighthearted for those like me, tending to being easily spooked!

there is one more book i am going to recommend, easier to get through dark and long nights...not too scary maybe one more auto biography too~!
soon as my brain starts to operate properly!

edit on 24-9-2016 by peppycat because: a

Anna Maclean A super fun read about Seances with a murder involved! Fictional!
and one more an auto biography about a voodoo queen! Marie Laveau further reading, www.voodooonthebayou.net...
edit on 24-9-2016 by peppycat because: two more books

edit on 24-9-2016 by peppycat because: link

edit on 24-9-2016 by peppycat because: link

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
If you want a good series to snuggle up with for long fall and winter reading, Kate Elliot wrote a long, dynastic medieval fantasy that unlike Jordan or Martin, she managed to actually finish.

It starts with King's Dragon and runs for seven volumes. The ending is maybe not as strong as it could have been, but hey, at least she wrote it to an ending and there is lots of good reading over the course of those books.

If you want sci-fi, try Neal Stephenson's Seveneves. What if the world really was coming to an end in the near future and mankind could try to avert their doom using technology. It has some transhumanist themes and while there is some hard science fiction to it, it also dwells on psychology too.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Author recommendations for Fall

How about:

John Crowley?

Especially Engine Summer; that's a very Fall book.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Going for fantasy epics I would say Glen Cooks Black Company series is a good read,kinda Viet Nam meets Stephen King.American history novels by Allen Eckert are really good,The Frontiersmen is my favorite,Sci Fi has so many I could recommend a bunch.Hopefully this winter George RR Martin will finally release Winds of Winter.And of course Louis Lamour westerns are old,but still wonderfull

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Nice suggestions!

"House of Leaves" by Mark danielewski

Don't know if it's a "fall book" except for the name. It's dense. A genre bender. If you do pick it up, read the main story before going back to the Johnny truant story.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
If you want to be literary adventurer, here are a list of criminally neglected authors ... at least in the opinion of the article's author. The link also contains links to pages with other under-read authors deemed worthy of being discovered who remain obscure for some reason or other.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Dan00

i am thrilled at the possibility of reading your link, thanks for putting a link up!

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

thanks for the link, i am super thrilled!

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

thanks a bunch!

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

good to have list of authors and books on hand! thank you!
i will check them out!

top topics

join