It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX Rocket Lands on Ocean Drone Ship in Historic First

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm posting this even it's a few days old. I'm surprised that no one else did. Anyway, SpaceX finally successfully landed a rocket on an ocean drone after 4 failed attempts. This is a major milestone into the reuseable rocket era which companies like SpaceX and Blue Origin are spearheading. SpaceX was the first to land a rocket back down on Earth after take-off and is the first to land a rocket on an ocean drone after take off. It's a major milestone for the burgeoning Space tourism market as it will make the process of travelling to Space much cheaper.

A live video feed broadcast on NASA television showed the rocket booster, its four landing legs extended, descending over the ocean before settling itself upright on the platform, roughly eight minutes after launch. Four previous at-sea landing bids had failed. But a Falcon 9 achieved a successful ground-based touchdown in December. Friday's feat marked yet another major milestone in the quest by high-tech entrepreneur Elon Musk's launch service to develop a cheap, reusable rocket.

Elon Musk is my hero! His company SpaceX is opening the door to our future among the stars. That's my opinion but what says ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
I'm surprised that no one else did.

They did, but they could have titled their thread clearer: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

It's truly remarkable. Blue Origin's Shephard rocket hasn't went further than low-earth orbit, but that's almost as remarkable. For all the flak the president got for pushing a public/private paradigm for space travel it sure seems to be working remarkable well and paying huge dividends.

Thanks for finally getting this on ATS's boards

ETA: Nevermind, this was originally posted on Luthier's thread. Mods should close.
edit on 10-4-2016 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: lostbook
I'm surprised that no one else did.

They did, but they could have titled their thread clearer: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

join