It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: EU Calls For Push Towards Full Palestinian Statehood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Before the final results of the Palestinian election were even announced, the European Union was already urging the new President Mahmoud Abbas to swiftly build state institutions, riding the wave of goodwill felt due to the election. The peaceful election received international praise as the favoured candidate swept the polls. Abbas has gained international respect as he is known to have opposed the use of violence during the Palestinian uprising against the Israeli occupation. Acknowledging that this is just the first step in a long process, the world seems to be placing a set of conditions on the Palestinians before the internationally sponsored peace, or "road map" plan can be implemented.

news.ft.com
Palestinians received rare international praise on Monday for a peaceful election that swept to power the candidate favoured by the world community.

But even before the final results were announced the European Union had already started pressing Mahmoud Abbas, the new president, to work quickly to build state institutions and capitalise on the goodwill created by the election.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It would appear from most angles, that this election was a true success. Abbas appears to be in favor of a peaceful co-existence with Israel.
I would hope that with all of the unrest, and dissension amongst the leaders of the Middle East, that this will truly offer peace to a region that so desperately needs it.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I am looking forward to monitoring this election. I am thrilled that it was a peaceful election, which in my opinion speaks volumes. Perhaps the "Militants" are actually showing a form of respect for Abbas.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
CNN showed highlights on Saturday nights of two statements from Extremist sore loser idiots right before the elections took place.

One stated that the elections were illigitimate because Israel supported them. The second one stated that any person who is elected that supports negotiating peace with Israel should be murdered.

Now think for a moment about such opinions. The first guy is against his OWN people picking their OWN leader. The second guy is against his OWN people acting in their OWN best interests and actually acheiving a lasting peace, which by all counts will make for less death on both sides.

Thankfully the Palestinian people took a collective crap on the extremists and their opinions yesterday.

There was good turnout for the election and the population spoke loud and clear in their support for Abu Mazen. Good for them. No longer was a leader in charge simply because "he was the leader" but now a leader is in charge because his OWN people picked him. This is the man who more than 2 out of every 3 Palestinians feel will do what's best for them. The man who they feel will bring them into the 21st century with the rest of us, will negotiate responsibly with Israel, will help stop attacks from both sides, and will help give them a STATE. Not a collection of tent camps that have been a breeding ground of hatred. A STATE, with schools, and libraries, and hospitals, and utilities, and services.

The Palestinian people deserve that, and they deserve a REAL, LEGITIMATE, CHOSEN, leader who can lead them there. What a wonderful thing it was to see the vast majority look at the masked idiots and tell them to stuff their violence in the toilet in favor of real progress toward statehood.

It was inspiring and I hope it lasts.

[edit on 1-10-2005 by Djarums]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The Palestinian people deserve that, and they deserve a REAL, LEGITIMATE, CHOSEN, leader who can lead them there. What a wonderful thing it was to say the vast majority look at the masked idiots and tell them to stuff their violence in the toilet in favor of real progress toward statehood.

It was inspiring and I hope it lasts.

Very well said.

I agree, and I hope it lasts forever. I pray that this truly is the beginning of peace over their. Even if they are never allies, to peacefully co-exist, would do wonders for the state of the world.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

superdode
Abbas appears to be in favor of a peaceful co-existence with Israel.

You mean the 'Zionist Enemy'?

Charles Krauthammer has an interesting opinion on the subject [url=http://www.townhall.com/columnists/charleskrauthammer/ck20050107.shtml]

Dec. 30: Abbas, appearing in Jenin, is hoisted on the shoulders of Zakaria Zbeida, a notorious and wanted al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades terrorist. Abbas declares that he will protect all terrorists from Israel.

Dec. 31: Abbas reiterates his undying loyalty to Arafat's maximalist demands: complete Israeli withdrawal to the 1949 armistice lines, Jerusalem as the Palestinian capital, and -- the red-flag deal-breaker -- the ``right of return,'' which would send the millions of Palestinians abroad not to their own country of Palestine but to Israel in order to destroy it demographically.

Jan. 1: Abbas declares that he will never crack down on Palestinian terrorism.

Jan. 4: Abbas calls Israel ``the Zionist enemy.'' That phrase is so odious that only Hezbollah and Iran and others openly dedicated to the extermination of Israel use it.

What of Abbas' vaunted opposition to violence? On Jan. 2 he tells Hamas terrorists firing rockets that maim and kill Jewish villagers within Israel, ``This is not the time for this kind of act.'' This is an interesting ``renunciation'' of terrorism: Not today, boys; perhaps later, when the time is right. Which was exactly Arafat's utilitarian approach to terrorism throughout the Oslo decade.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   

You mean the 'Zionist Enemy'?

No I meant it exactly as I posted it. While I am not a jew, I don't categorize all jews as Zionists. I said peaceful co-existense with Israel and that's exactly what I meant. Zionists are radicals that can be compared to skinheads, and Hitler youth. Please do me a favor and NEVER take me out of context.

top topics

join