It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the difference between Scottish Rite and York Rite?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangeman dave
cotwom, i have had my mark degree, here in scotland its a continuation of the fellow craft.

It is a common misconception that the Mark Degree was once attached to the Fellow Craft; the degree is, indeed, on the Fellow Craft level, and this is what probably produced that original speculation. The first record of the Mark Degree being conferred was in Scotland in 1769; previous ritual exposures indicate that nothing similar to the ritual of Mark Master Mason was ever found in the Fellow Craft Degree.

Does this mean Scottish masonry is york rite?

By York Rite, I here refer to the orgininal three degrees of Ancient Craft Masonry, which had its legendary beginning in York, England circa 980 A.D.
In English speaking countries, practically all Blue Lodges work in the York Rite. The major exception is District 18 in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, where the Blue Lodges are Scottish Rite (what they call in the UK the Ancient and Accepted Rite).

The Emulation Rite is sometimes worked in the UK and Canada, but this Rite is simply a revision of the classical York Rite.

[edit on 7-1-2005 by Masonic Light]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

cotwom, i have had my mark degree, here in scotland its a continuation of the fellow craft.

It is a common misconception that the Mark Degree was once attached to the Fellow Craft; the degree is, indeed, on the Fellow Craft level, and this is what probably produced that original speculation. The first record of the Mark Degree being conferred was in Scotland in 1769; previous ritual exposures indicate that nothing similar to the ritual of Mark Master Mason was ever found in the Fellow Craft Degree.

Masonic Light, I stand corrected. Oraneman Dave, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
cotwom, in Scotland it is not possible to join the royal arch without having first obtained the mark degree, but i have heard in different places the mark is a part of the royal arch, im not past the craft lodge but maybe if i get as much time as you guys i will join

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

cotwom, in Scotland it is not possible to join the royal arch without having first obtained the mark degree, but i have heard in different places the mark is a part of the royal arch, im not past the craft lodge but maybe if i get as much time as you guys i will join

In the USA, only Mark Masters can become Royal Arch Masons. The only difference is that in the UK, the Mark Degree is conferred in Lodges of Mark Master Masons who work under jurisdiction of a Grand Mark Lodge. In the USA, Lodges of Mark Master Masons work under jurisdiction of Grand Chapters of Royal Arch Masons.

[edit on 7-1-2005 by Masonic Light]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join