It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis says priests can forgive women who've had abortions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
(CNN)—Pope Francis rocked the Catholic world -- again -- on Tuesday by announcing that contrite women who have had an abortion can seek forgiveness from all priests during the church's upcoming "Year of Mercy."

Traditionally, people involved in the procurement of abortion, condemned as a grave sin by the church, are considered automatically excommunicated, and only a bishop can lift the ban. Under the new, temporary policy, Francis is essentially suspending bishops' power to prohibit priests from offering forgiveness and giving clergy full authority to absolve abortions in the name of God and the church. [CNN]

I think he's going to bring more people back to the church than any pope in history. Climate change, same sex marriage, and now abortion. That or something's up.

Keep on rocking, Pope Francis!

"The tragedy of abortion is experienced by some with a superficial awareness, as if not realizing the extreme harm that such an act entails," Francis said in a statement Tuesday. "Many others, on the other hand, although experiencing this moment as a defeat, believe that they have no other option."

He gets it. This is called dialog and empathy. But he'll be viewed as a rabble rouser by many, I'll bet. I'd also bet a lot of Catholics are wondering if popes can be impeached.

From BBC on the topic:

In Catholicism, abortion is viewed as such a grave sin that it can punished with excommunication.

In most countries, only a bishop can approve forgiveness for abortion. They would then delegate an expert priest to hear the confession.

The change is only for the coming Jubilee Year, beginning in December.

However, the rule relaxation will not affect Catholics in England, Wales and Scotland as all priests there can already forgive abortion without seeking permission from a bishop.

The Pope said many women who sought an abortion did so because they "believe that they have no other option".

He added that he had "met so many women who bear in their heart the scar of this agonising and painful decision".

[BBC]

It is a bold move, and a spiritual one. Pope Francis is not addressing politicians. He is providing guidance to his Pontifical Council for the New Evangelization as he prepares the Catholic Church for a year of intentional mercy designed to foster spiritual renewal. [Time]

A primer on where pope stands on gays, divorce, climatel
edit on 9/1/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/1/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

priests can forgive women who've had abortions

As long as we can agree abortion and is a sin, right?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I'd have a lot more respect for Pope Francis if he lifted the ban against birth control.

BTW, I have a thread on this topic in the Conspiracies in Religion forum, with a slightly different bent.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

priests can forgive women who've had abortions

As long as we can agree abortion and is a sin, right?

I don't have to agree that it's a sin or that it's anything, but this might matter a great deal to millions of Catholics.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Baby steps. From that last link I posted in the OP:

CONTRACEPTION: Francis has defended the church's opposition to artificial contraception, which is enshrined in the 1968 encyclical Humanae Vitae. At the same time, he has said Catholics need not breed "like rabbits" and should instead practice "responsible parenthood" through "licit" methods. The church endorses the Natural Family Planning method, which involves monitoring a woman's cycle to avoid intercourse when she is ovulating. He has also said, though, that any good priest in confession must dispense mercy and take into account the individual needs of couples.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The church forgives murderer's already, if they are contrite and truely seek forgiveness.

So okay.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Nowt to do with him tbh.
He should do something about contraception.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Year of mercy?

Does that mean he's going to forgive all the child abusing priests and the wicked Nuns who were responsible for taking in young mothers, and making arrangements for their children to be adopted without their knowledge?

This may mean something to Catholics, but for people like me, it means absolutely nothing, but keep on rocking anyway.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Guess I wasn't aware that priest were able to condemn or forgive anything. Thought that was up to God. Also don't know who they think appointed them the middle person between an individual and the highest entity in an individual's faith. I tend to believe it wasn't God, Allah, etc. People who went to school for faith based studies do not hold some higher place in the religious world. You may agree with their interpretations, you may lean on them for advice/ suggestions based on that. But no one of importance in the grand scheme of things gave these people the power to condemn or judge anyone. I fail to see how even the pope tries to assume these people have this power, and even more that he thinks he can sign off it. That applies to any faith, but whatever.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I know, right? I don't think they'll ever find forgiveness anywhere.

I just like the way he's shaking things up. I like (most) people who shake things up.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I saw a great quote about this topic just half an hour ago...

"Magic Man says that previously judgemental magic no longer applies to act of magic, having used magic to consult head magician. Other magicians rejoice. Makes the news in several economically and culturally developed western countries"

Says it all really.
Thanks to the Irish rap comedy duo, 'The Rubberbandits', for that one.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

That's nice! A mortal man telling people what they may, and may not forgive... Its a beautiful thing when a flawed being may stand between Jesus and his people, and say whatever he wishes. Thank God that THIS Pope is not as much of a steaming turd as virtually all who came before him, and is actually doing things Jesus would at least partially approve of.

Makes a nice change!

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
OH thank you pope!! Not. I swear.. the arrogance of any church ex communicating someone is really hypocritical. What was it about judge not lest ye be judged? When they Ex communicate someone thats Exactly what they are doing.
The Amish are good examples of Hypocritical use of that they call it shunning though.

This is why You ar eto have a personal relationship With God and not be bound to a entity such as the catholic church who has over time become as corrupt as they are. A priest cant give you forgiveness. YOU have to seek it YOURSELF.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the Bible says god forgives all sins anyways. When I was a Christian, that was the authority I ultimately defaulted to AND I was a Catholic at that.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
it's a greater sin to help a nine year old with an abortion to save her life than it is to rape that child to begin with, but well, for one year you can go and beg for forgiveness for saving a life!!!

glad I wasn't raised catholic!!!!

edit on 1-9-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Already posted. Please continue here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closing duplicate.

top topics

join