It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to try LINUX, but not ready to install to a hard drive yet? Create a persistent Live USB

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Does Linux require anti-virus, anti-malware or firewall software?
I've heard it's not necessary, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

Typically it does not require anti virus or anti malware software.

A basic firewall should be provided with your distribution. A firewall is a necessity as you don't want intruders accessing your machine at will via open and unmonitored ports.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LunaticPandora

Thanks for that.
For me....setting up firewalls ...well, I leave the defaults....all that Port this and that...Greek to me

I d/l the OS and the UNetbootin...the LInux d/l actually took longer than I expected.....maybe in the morning I can tackle the install.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_
a reply to: coldkidc

Everything is self-contained on the USB drive. Unless you manually add or delete a file from a hard drive, the Live USB doesn't touch the hard drives at all.

Not quite true!

I had two Hdrives in my box, one had Mint on it and the other had windowz. I deliberately did not set up a boot menu, prefering to use the bios boot menu.
After using Unetbootin to set up a persistant usb I discovered BOTH drives had boot menus!
While I havent gotten around to trying anything else yet, I wont use Unetbootin again for that reason.
That was about a year ago so maybe it behaves itself now?

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Another option which works fairly well and is super easy to install is using a virtual machine.

I use VMware player workstation (free) download Ubuntu ,Linux mint or whatever flavor iso you want and install it on the isolated virtual machine.

Linux will basically run as an application within windows via the virtual machine.

I use the Linux vm within windows for all my Web browsing to prevent viruses and adware.

Also super easy to back up.

I can provide some additional info if interested but I'm on my mobile device now.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Very nice sir good to see. This guide is good.
BoneZ i will be posting advanced tutorials and different views on COMSEC mostly around the Linux OS. I look forward to seeing your views and insight in my threads. What do you think of "Mate"? I feel it is better than cinnamon because of the ease of use and its ability to get right to what you need without extra clicks. the search bar gives excellent access to the repositories for fast and easy installs as well as many other things.
one again great tutorial

(post by franky2 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by franky2 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well, I keep putting this off.....I could win the Procrastinator Olympics!

But, I grow weary of these bizarre issues occurring every month with Windoze Updates.....
So....maybe this is the month to take the plunge

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Another tip is to have DriveDroid on a rooted Android phone.

It turns your phone into a bootable usb or rom (whatever you want) and you can chose which iso you want to run. This way you'll always have a latest iso available where ever you are.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I have found the following setup as a safe way to surf the internet without worrying about getting a virus on a windows system. Perhaps this will help you or make your life easier with your brother inlaws virus ridden machine. Takes a little upfront setting up but after its setup all you should have todo is start vmplayer and select the operating system you installed.

You should be able to switch between windows and the VMPlayer (Linux) image just like you would with outlook and word.

Quick Overview:
VMPlayer will allow you to run a separate Operating System (Guest) on your currently running Operating System (Host). I typically use the VMPlayer for surfing the net in order to avoid getting any virus on my host machine. In the event I get a virus while inside the VMPlayer it will not harm my main system.

What You need:
Memory: 8GB preferable
Hard drive space for Guest Operating: 20-40GB
Windows 64 Bit for the downloads below but will run on windows 32 bit as well.

Free Software 1: VMPLAYER ,although there are others. :

Free Software 2: UBUNTU Linux, but can be Just about any other Operating system including windows

Configuration Instructions:
1. Download VMPlayer .

If your computer is running windows than select the windows version. May require email account to download.

2. Install VMPlayer

3. Download OS iso image
For example Ubuntu : Click Here for windows 64

or go here: www.ubuntu.com...

4. Install Ubuntu onto the vmplayer.

Here is a good overview using a previous version of ubuntu but should be fairly similar.

5. Enjoy Ubuntu

After
edit on 54531America/ChicagoMon, 16 May 2016 21:54:42 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I should add the following note:

To be extra secure don't configure it to access your host shares or automatically mount network shares.

The reason being is because if you get a virus/malware/ramsomware inside the guest (linux) OS and you have the Host or network shares mounted then the virus still has a potential to effect the files on those shares.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Gonna second your recommendation for VMWare, and you did a nice intro for people to get going on it. I wonder how many really appreciate the fact that this 'free' enabler not only allows them to have the best of both worlds , but can teach them the fundamentals of virtual machines. It is some of the best software on this planet, and most of big industry would be lost today without it.

VM Workstation's big brothers and sisters: VSphere and VCenter are the most amazing pieces of software technology that have probably ever been developed.
edit on 28-5-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Good tutorial OP.
I would like to point out to others that some have had problems with UNetbootin and many distro creators suggest not using it.
In would also throw my vote in for the usefulness of virtual machines.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I don't understand the instructions here at all.

Don't forget to verify your ISO

No clue as to the directory and whether you need to do this for a USB download, as well as the external HD.
linuxmint.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Grrr as usual, I get tons of errors. I tried the first program you linked, and it gets stuck on creating persistent whatever, then goes "not responding". So I tried the universal linux installer, its at 356ish errors, cannot copy output file. Every file it looks like. The first program at least copied ok.

I have tried this in the past with Ubuntu. I once got it to actually boot up, but could never get internet to work and some other things. I tried a month ago again, and it wouldn't even boot completely. Just shot me into DOS with more errors. Why is Linux such a PITA? I am computer savy, followed your directions, plus other tutorials TOO A T. And on 2 different computers..
edit on 10-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

ETA: Just tried again, now it is saying the cinammon version is not supported. Different errors at different attempts.
edit on 10-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Mint not cinnammon.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I followed all the steps but am having trouble. When I restart, it starts Windows. I hit "f12", which is supposed to bring up the boot options, but nothing happens. Windows starts normally. Am I doing something wrong?

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I got it to work using Tails. It is everything I wanted and more.
No other version worked for me, and tails is actually supposed to be one of the most secure.
edit on 14-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

You most likely had both drives installed and accessible during the installs and that is why the installer modified/changed the boot menus.

If you do the BIOS boot drive tango with different OS's you should install them as a single hard drive and later, add your other drive back in. A removable dock for your PC is super convenient for swapping out hard drives with different OS's.

I used to like Ubuntu but Mint made it even better.

(post by Deafeyes removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join