It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College is giving me a headache

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Recently, two situations occurred in my college life that made me bang my head against the wall.

The first isnt as big as the second, but it was annoying as heck. Last semester I transferred from a community college to a university. I sent in all my transcripts and information to the university and eventually met with an academic adviser and began planning my course calendar. Everything seemed to be going well in the administration side of things. However, I go back to advising a few weeks ago to get squared away for the coming fall semester, and this new adviser that I'm meeting with notices a mess up in one of my classes from the community college. The people at the community college entered wrong information into my transcript and basically put a class number down wrong. I was moving onto the upper level tier of classes and was unable to register for them and I had no idea why. It may be hard to explain well, but here's what was supposed to be shown on my transcript.

Correct class - ACCT 2020

How they entered it - ACCT 2230

Now onto the second issue. I got a letter in the mail from my university earlier today from the advising office. I was thinking, "Okay, they're probably just sending a redundant letter to let me know registration is now open for summer and fall, or something similar".....nope, something completely different.

The letter started out, "Protecting your personal information is a high priority..." blah blah blah. (I received a letter with a similar opening when my bank information was stolen last year....I already had a pretty good idea what this letter meant once I read the first few sentences). Then it goes on to say the university inadvertently emailed somewhere around 500 people my "student id, last name, first name, telephone number, home address, all my demographics, career and job history, level, degree plan, transcripts, and email address". The letter said this happened almost 2 weeks ago.

Well, atleast they didnt give out my SSN though!

edit on 19-4-2015 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
that is really really #ty of them. Absolutely #ish behavior. Hope you can at least take your classes. And now the parasite says "thinking about litigation for a quick buck?? maybe settle for free course through the year
"

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

I did manage to get the class schedule I wanted. Hopefully nothing else turns up now.

maybe settle for free course through the year

That would be great, or atleast a free parking pass or something. Roughly $1,000 per class and $150 for a parking spot per semester.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I don't know if I'd stop at just a free class or parking pass. They've exposed your personal information to an outside source. This is the terrible American truth lately but, if they don't have an airtight case, sue. Or request a YEAR of free classes, etc. I would have a MAJOR problem if my university ever released my personal information.

Also, think college is hard now? Wait until you're paying it off.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Myomistress

I agree with you about the OP. I'd be seeking legal counsel telling the college theyve put them in a a serious posirion that could follow the op for the rest of their life.

Id seek some kind of legal recourse

top topics

join