It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 40 current, former Canadian senators asked to account for questionable expense claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
So our Auditor General is reviewing the finances of 117 current and former Senators. So far apparently:

Source

At least 40 current and former senators have received confidential letters from Auditor General Michael Ferguson about questionable expense claims, and one of them has been asked to account for more than $100,000, sources have told CTV News.
The senators were tight-lipped Tuesday when asked about the letters -- and whether they’ve been asked to pay back any money.

This is atrocious! These non elected people have been stealing funds from Canadians to pay for expenses they were entirely responsible for.

Apparently some have been asked to account for hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of expenses. It is the first audit of it's kind as well.

There are currently a few Senators being investigated and who likely will be charged with breach of trust and fraud such as, currently suspended Senator Pamela Wallin.

This has been an ongoing story in Canada for probably the last 18 months at least. And the more we look into it, the more we see that un-elected officials are the worst kind of politician to have. They have nobody but their party leader to report to, no constituency to worry about.

It's a bloody free for all and it's wrong.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

At least someone in the Canadian government are holding these officials accountable. Government is a breeding ground of corruption all over the world. There is no checks and balances to make sure public funds are used appropriately. I think every government should have a public watchdog group made up of private citizens who keep these public servants honest and accountable. Governments is so big, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Wow Canada might win the race to setting itself of fire. There have been a lot of leaks on the action and spending of the government there. Here I thought the US would be the first to implode, now I think it might be Canada.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

It's always been considered a plum reward for loyalty in a political party. I've known two senators who led a life of privilege, not because they've done anything for the people but because they rose inside the party ranks. When I see how much they charge for office furniture and office staff etc., well I just do not get that it has gone on so long. They always say they are the chamber of sober second reflection, but where is the reflection if they only act within party lines? When Senator Marjorie Lebreton so proudly pulled a fast one in not allowing a review of a proposed law because of party one-upmanship it really underlined the flaw in that "sober second thought" farce. We can't afford those high flyer pseudo-reps.

(Hi tenth! Good to see you.)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

It is just a giant ' whose the party favorite' isn't it?

If you don't become party leader or PM of some province, you get to be a Senator when you're liked by who ever is in charge.

I think we should abolish the Senate anyway, it's a useless piece of the legislative body.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
So when are they going to do this in the United States? I'd bet the expenses our cronies in office skim would make these senators look like they are just stealing candy out of a convenience store.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
So when are they going to do this in the United States? I'd bet the expenses our cronies in office skim would make these senators look like they are just stealing candy out of a convenience store.

It probably would be a drop in the bucket.

The problem here is two fold:

1.They aren't elected. I didn't CHOOSE to give tax money to this urchins to begin with. They are appointed by the Prime Minister.

2. These people have the ability of re-writing legislation sent up by the elected House of Commons. Without any oversight really.

So, these people are stealing from me AND they simply tow the party line when it comes to legislation and can make sure that any opposition legislation either gets held up or completely re-written to suit their agenda.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

So when are they going to do this in the United States?

Wait a second. This 'Canada' place is not part of the United States?

I suggest a false flag followed by an invasion so we can freedom them up a little.

edit on 1-4-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No no, Canada is America's top hat. We sport them to look fly.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

They have tried be for and it does not happen. The media get hold of the story print it once and that's the end of it. They just wait out the media storm and after that nothing happens, so it's not for a lack of trying. Just they have really good way around it in the US. Which makes you wonder even more how much they have taken. I'm betting it's way more than any of use have thought of, it would most likely blow our minds if we counted every penny they have taken and wasted.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No no, Canada is America's top hat. We sport them to look fly.

I guess our top hat is looking a little ratty right now. Lord know our pants are full of holes.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

Yea I'm with you on this. The people in office have really learned how to play the media cycle to their advantage. Once controversy breaks, give a bunch of lip service to it but don't actually do anything. Then wait about 3 months and it will go away. The media really should stay on top of these things until we actually have some follow through for once. Instead of hanging on every word uttered in some stupid high publicity murder trial for 6 months, the media could be holding our politicians to their words for once.
edit on 1-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

Yea... You may be right. Looking at the OP, we may need to take our top hat to the dry cleaners.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This would be an instance where I would appreciate spending tax dollars to hire more independent audit staff.

It's time we held EVERY government official in ANY capacity - municipal, provincial, federal, senate and various committees attached thereto accountable for not only our dollars but their actions as well.

These people act like monkeys in the proverbial zoo in Parliament with their useless accusations and back and forth uncalled for banter. It's a shameful and sad reflection of how they can act with seeming impunity for their actions.

Until we start electing business people to run the business of the country, instead of failed lawyers, these types of behaviours will never disappear. Instead of tossing verbal poop around when they are working, they should be simply doing the job they were hired to do.

Just my 50 cents worth. And I won't bill you for it........

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Oh Sweet Jaysus, did you see the latest comment from senator Nancy Ruth? I can hardly believe the total lack of insight about the impact her words will have. Complaining of being served cold Camembert and broken crackers as an excuse to charge a breakfast. La dee dah. It just so happens that I had Camembert yesterday, brought straight in from my icy cold car and guess what? In ten minutes, it was thawed and at room temperature. So yeah, she does illustrate the arrogant privilege to which she believes herself entitled.

You know, in the nineties, I flew a heck of a lot, at all hours including many mealtimes, and I never once was served a meal. I flew business mostly. So does this senator only fly uber first class? Her complaint about the auditors and camembert here.

I'm sorry, but I just can't say any more. Let's stop this nonsense by voting the ones who appoint these senators out in the next election.

edit on 2-4-2015 by aboutface because: unable to see how I misposted the link.
Can someone tell me where the error is?

edit on 2-4-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

top topics

join