It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Meteor Rocks Jakarta

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I just discovered this website and looks pretty neat.

Does any one find it strange to coincidental that atrological events were happening in this area 7 days before the big wave.

Since meteors and astroids arrive almost instantaneous and probably impossible to monitor the entire globe could it be that a large meteorite to astroid hit the water causing the earth quake.

If governments new it was coming, what could they do? People would panic and maybe more would have died. Although maybe it could have been shot down but we will never know.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkweb
I just discovered this website and looks pretty neat.

Does any one find it strange to coincidental that atrological events were happening in this area 7 days before the big wave.

Since meteors and astroids arrive almost instantaneous and probably impossible to monitor the entire globe could it be that a large meteorite to astroid hit the water causing the earth quake.

If governments new it was coming, what could they do? People would panic and maybe more would have died. Although maybe it could have been shot down but we will never know.

I already tried that and got beat bloody for it. I do believe it was an asteroid or similar. I don't believe in coincidence. Good luck

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This story short on facts long on conjecture addresses UFO sightings in the period prior to the tsunami. I'm thinking UFO reports could be attributable to the meteor sighting or ???? its possible that UFO's were taken for a meteor

Was it a coincidence? Lots of people now from the Tsunami and earthquake hit areas are reporting about strange Unidentified Flying Objects they saw a few days before the mega quake and Tsunami. People in Indian state of Tamil Nadu, Andaman and Nicobar Island as well as many in Indonesia were reporting for some time about strange flying objects in the sky.

The local media in these areas did not know what to do with the reported sightings. But it seems now from the reports that many UFOs were in the sky and were trying to communicate something.

Also from December 20 WND had this story,

www.worldnetdaily.com...

It's been a busy December for skywatchers in the Eastern Hemisphere, as citizens of Indonesia, China and Australia have all reported seeing unidentified flying objects.

Have not found much of anything else about this that seems independent of the meteor sighting.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Yeah, I do find the meteor-tsunami suspicious, but the timing's weird: the meteor's like a week before the quake, so the meteor would have to have really been an atomic time bomb with a week's delay or so if that meteor's causing all the trouble. If we're really, say, passing through a swarm of meteors from a southerly direction, then it's a pretty big coincidence that they both landed in or around the indian ocean: since the earth's always spinning, you'd expect a 50% chance the other meteor would've wound up landing in south america somewhere. I haven't seen any recent news with meteors hitting south america, so so far it looks like the meteor explanation either doesn't work because the timeframe's weird, or because it relies on a lot of meteors hitting the same location over a pretty long (one week) time period.

Sometimes coincidences are just coincidences...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I had actually thought the same thing, but considering they were expecting this in the area around the time, it seems unlikely they missed a meteor big enough to cause the quake. Such a big boy would have easily been seen for quite some distance, including astronomy centers.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkweb

1. It's astronomical, not astrological...

2. Anything is possible, but for an meteor to do all that to and area that's one of the most highly densed populated areas on Earth and not be seen is unlikely.

3. If a meteor was large enough to crash into the ocean floor and cause a 9.0 earthquake, the resulting wave would have been much more devestating.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I had actually thought the same thing, but considering they were expecting this in the area around the time, it seems unlikely they missed a meteor big enough to cause the quake. Such a big boy would have easily been seen for quite some distance, including astronomy centers.

Based on velocity and angle of approach perhaps not. The meteor from the week before could have been a small "splinter" ahead of the main object. Hyper-velocity "rocks" are out there. Still would like to see the ocean floor in this area to confirm. Quake was pretty "shallow" only 10k deep.

df1

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sisonek
Yeah, I do find the meteor-tsunami suspicious,

It is my understanding that a common pre and post earthquake event is the release of methane which sometimes ignites creating the impression of a meteor strike or ball lighting accompanied by explosion sounds. I've read of such things, but do not live an earthquake zone, so I have no first hand knowledge.

TPL

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
As posted above, SOME geologists believe there is a connection between hovering balls of light i.e. UFO's, and geological activity, i.e. earthquakes.

This theory has not been proven and doesn't involve any extra-terrestrial objects.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
df1: That's something I didn't know. It sounds plausible, too, maybe even for the first 'meteor'.

DrHoracid: even if the first one was a splinter of a much bigger super-velocity meteor, I'm just sayin' that since the earth's a spinnin' target that both 'meteors' would have had to hit in places near each other even with a week's time in between that the probability factor seems low...if you just draw, say, a straight line starting at the first meteor's impact point and tracing the impact path of the first meteor, then rotate the earth under that point, there's a lot of places the next meteor would be likely to hit, and it just gets worse if you start moving the earth around the sun at the same time, so I find it unlikely -- not impossible, just unlikely -- that this was another meteor, whether two parts of some bigger meteor or two unrelated meteors...it's like lightning striking twice, if you know what I mean -- it can and does happen, but pretty rarely.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I have just done another search on NEO website and found something intresting. I didn't see any observation site's in the southern hemisphere. Any Ausies out there?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
I have just done another search on NEO website and found something intresting. I didn't see any observation site's in the southern hemisphere. Any Ausies out there?

Your research must not have been that great. I got a few observatories with a quick Googling, on the first try. Here's one in Laka Tekapo, New Zealand. It's up to you to find the others.

Mt John University Observatory

EDIT: One more thing for you meteorite thinkers, where did all the ejecta go!? I've asked this a few times to a couple of you, and I never got an answer. The ejecta would have been the stuff flung into the atmosphere by the impact. There would be chunks of rock, both solid and molten, crashing to Earth hundreds or thousands of miles away. Not to mention that if it were an ocean strike, millions of gallons of water would be instantly vaporized. Where would that vapor go: the atmosphere! That would bring rains, and LOTS of rains, throughout the Earth. So once more, where did all the ejecta go?

[edit on 1/5/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thanks for the website, BUT, it is not an NEO observatory. There are only 2 that actually do NEO research. Unless one was specifically looking, NEO's are hard to find. Meteors hit the earth many times a day. There is not always "movie" special effects when it happens. The tsunami may have been the "ejecta".

top topics

<< 1   >>

join