It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Senate Bill introduced to reclassify Cannabis as a Schedule II

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

and it's certainly a valid concern to have, especially if jurisdictions are essentially relying on low level drug arrests to fill the coffers. They're bound to turn to a smaller number of offenders with larger penalties to make up the difference depending on what part of the country it is and just how much they rely on these low level violations and misdemeanors for revenue. How it will all pan out is up in the air but it's very much worth keeping an eye on.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

Except possession of a small amount of pot is a misdemeanor, maybe a traffic violation type penalty. In Texas its Class B if you are prosecuted. But a couple of pills is a felony.

That is the current difference.

In Texas is it a felony to posses Marinol (Class 3 - Hypocrisy at its best!
) without a prescription?

I would hazard to guess since, like in most states, pot possession carries such a lower penalty compared to other class 1 drugs, that the state drug laws must specifically spell out pot as a separate case from other class 1 drugs.

Then again, one never knows what twisted way any justice system could turn this.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
From a legal standpoint:

Would it be better to, under the current system, be arrested for possession of 1 gram of pot? Or would it be better to be arrested for possession of 1 gram of a controlled substance? Is there such a thing as getting a ticket and fine for possession of a controlled substance?

In light of that, is this law really benefitting the people cheering it on? Or will it just become far, far easier to make felons out of more people?

Marijuana is already a controlled substance. Making it available for doctors to prescribe doesn't up the penalties for illegal use because then it is a schedule 2 instead of a schedule 1 controlled substance.

Also, making the drug a schedule 2 would make it easier to obtain for scientific testing. As it stands, since it is a schedule 1 drug, it is EXTREMELY difficult to obtain the plant to test with because the government uses its own scheduling to prove that it shouldn't be tested. In other words, circular reasoning.
edit on 11-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This does seem like a positive step to me. The medical benefits of marijuana have been proven in studies.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I guess this is a bad place to mention that the active ingredient that makes Pot's benefits (THC) has been a Schedule 3 drug for about 20 years now, and has also been available in a tablet form with a script for about 15...

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: vkey08
I guess this is a bad place to mention that the active ingredient that makes Pot's benefits (THC) has been a Schedule 3 drug for about 20 years now, and has also been available in a tablet form with a script for about 15...

For a lot of us with stomach issues, that route just doesn't work.

Why limit us to one?

Do we only get to choose from one type of opiate that the doctors feed us?

edit on 11-3-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Not only that, but THC by itself isn't always going to work on everyone. A lot of people don't realize that different ailments require different combinations of CBD's and CBN's along with the THC and the efficaciousness of such can vary from one patient to the next. Even for people suffering the same ailments. Different strains of cannabis and the ability to see what works for you on an individual level is the best method to go with. And then you have options for how you want to ingest it from smoking to vaporizing to edibles. And each method of delivery has its advantages and disadvantages, again depending on the ailment being treated. We should have to ability to determine what works best for us as individuals in my opinion and limiting it to Marinol pills just doesn't cut the mustard.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

as I understand it from Medscape there are several preparations of it in the works. If smoking itself is bad for one, and I smoke so I'm one to talk, but since it is bad to inhale burning plant matter and paper, surely a more concentrated route would be preferable.

The point is that it has been a Sched 3 for some time.. and available..

(As far as Opioids, yes they do limit them, there are several really good ones with less side effects and less addiction potential that are listed under Sched 1 of the CSA and used elsewhere in the world)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

THC is only 1 of a few compounds in MJ that provide medical relief.

Marinol is barely functional for a majority of people who take it. And getting a doctor to prescribe it to begin with requires you to already be dying in my experience (the wife is a nurse, and I worked in the field for quite awhile).

The real problem arises in the fact that a group of people who often cannot give a reasonable explanation of how simple things work (like the internet and its series of tubes, or the laughable knowledge displayed about guns...."ghost gun"....LOLOL) are going to tell complete strangers what treatments are most effective for them. Without ever even seeing the person.

Doctors who can diagnose sight unseen are akin to fashion experts who can critique your tie sight unseen. But when you have elected leaders (many of whom were never doctors to begin with. and any who actually are doctors...what value does their opinion carry when they find being a senator more financially rewarding than running a private practice) diagnosing sight unseen....its scary as well.

Put it this way: do you think people like Joe Biden need to have an opinion on your medical treatment?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

as I understand it from Medscape there are several preparations of it in the works. If smoking itself is bad for one, and I smoke so I'm one to talk, but since it is bad to inhale burning plant matter and paper, surely a more concentrated route would be preferable.

The point is that it has been a Sched 3 for some time.. and available..

(As far as Opioids, yes they do limit them, there are several really good ones with less side effects and less addiction potential that are listed under Sched 1 of the CSA and used elsewhere in the world)

But there are multiple options available that do not require combustion. Vaporizing is an extremely ideal solution with a quick delivery equitable with smoking and you can vary the chemicals inhaled depending on the temperature you set the vaporizer at. There are also edible options as well as drinks from juices to sodas to teas infused with cannabis. Again, Marinol being straight THC just doesn't work for everyone and it is the other compounds such as CBD and CBN that help give relief from pain and help with increasing appetite. While you are correct that Marinol has been available for some time it also has a host of side effects not associated with using cannabis and the full spectrum of psychoactive compounds it contains. In fact, some of the side effects of Marinol are precisely what cannabis is used to treat, such as Nausea, decreased appetite, stomach pain and anxiety.

<< 1   >>

join