It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outdoor/Mud/Snow/Survival Wear - Suggestions/Brands/Links

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
So, for the opening post I will keep it simple, I need a pair of jeans that are very durable & would be good for working at a ranch with horses etc

Also looking for good shoes to use in similar conditions or for off-road hard weather trekking!

Another thing would be insulated jeans/wear for warmth.

Anyone know any good online retailers?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

I would highly recommend the Carhartt clothing company. They make heavy duty outerwear, both insulated (for extra insulation check out the arctic series) and uninsulated. I have many of their products, and they have never failed me.

if you find the carhart prices to be to high, then check out Dickies clothing, a similar product (but a lower quality IMO) at a lower price.

Amazon carries many of the products.
edit on 19-2-2015 by jackjoedoe because: too add info

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I go with Dickies, lots of pockets, cheap, comfortable, and durable, and Doc Martins...comfortable and durable.
I underlay with cotton thermals and double up on socks to prevent chafing.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: jackjoedoe
a reply to: Eunuchorn

I would highly recommend the Carhartt clothing company. They make heavy duty outerwear, both insulated (for extra insulation check out the arctic series) and uninsulated. I have many of their products, and they have never failed me.

if you find the carhart prices to be to high, then check out Dickies clothing, a similar product (but a lower quality IMO) at a lower price.

Amazon carries many of the products.

Brilliant, thank you sir! I will look into them & repost any links I find here.

Also, F# Dickies.
No offense skunkape!

I own a pair of black coveralls by dickies from when I worked on the cruiseship. It's pretty badass actually.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Thermals are a very solid idea, to allow for layering.

I would have to disagree with the Doc martins, although I love them for everyday wear, they wouldnt hold up very long in my farm work. I definitely prefer the Georgia line of boots (Gorgia Boots), one of the best made work/outdoor boots I have ever owned.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   
You kept it a little too simple for me to give you a good answer. I grew up with horses and can give you some advice if I know what you'll actually be dealing with.

Are you going to be riding/training or working there in a different capacity? What's the weather actually like?

Kinda going to assume you're not going to be riding because you would already know what works best if someone was willing to hire you for that.

If you're going to be there and fixing stuff buy Carhartts. Not the jeans, the canvas (duck) stuff. I have yet to destroy Carhartt stuff.

Carhartt is the standard. Go to any job site and every pro is wearing Carhartt. They just last. I wouldn't buy Dickies unless I had to. Don't know anything about them really, just have always been so satisfied with Carhartt clothing I wouldn't want to risk wasting my money.

Boots? Again, depends on what you're going to be doing. I like Red Wing boots. They're comfortable, they last forever, and they look good.

Seriously give us more info on what you'll be doing and in what climate. It's hard to tell someone what to wear without knowing the climate, location, and what a person will be doing.

I'll say this though, if you're working around horses spend the money for quality. I'd rather have 2 pairs of pants that will last than 5 pairs for the same price that don't.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Doc Martins

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
doc martins made in china now. i have worn mine to work twice when had to it has ruined them, wouldn't imagine they would last the week.
I like Blundstone boots( unfortunately also now made China), with bamboo lining to stop smell. not sure how good they would be for riding though.
King gee made my favorite pant strong and comfy, but they seem to selling more light weight stuff now (and for same price).
Once you do find what you want stock up, in case manufacturing gets outsourced or cheapened.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
www.duluthtrading.com...

Also Smart-Wool socks.....

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaceWizard

Oh noo.. Blundstones are made in China now?!! Say it ain't so!! Blasphemy
Dang it- I knew I should have gotten a pair years ago.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

They have some of the greatest commercials!

I swear by Wolverine boots of almost any kind, although I prefer the hikers. I am wearing a pair now that has lasted me over three years although falling apart now.
These things have gone through 3 years of winters here that would kill most boots.
And same with the summers and hiking.

I have to get a new pair finally, but I worked the crap out of them.
Best 100 bucks I ever spent on footwear.
They have gone through everything from -40 below to 100 degrees, caked with mud,water,snow,rock salt, miles and miles put on them vaccuming and doing hard labor around my apartment complex. (if you only knew how many miles I have put on these things and use them for everything, not just work, but daily wear.)

www.wolverine.com...
edit on 20-2-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd
There may still be one model made (500 series or something) or assembled Tasmania.

new topics

top topics

join