It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A timelapse of the sun in 4k - stunning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Mods - ive put this here so as many people as possible can view it.

This is quite mind-blowing: Time-lapse footage compiled from 17,000 images taken by the Solar Dynamics Observatory between October 14th to October 30th, 2014, showing sunspot AR 2192, the largest sunspot of the last two solar cycles (22 years).
The constructed footage is beautiful and awe-inspiring.

During this time sunspot AR 2191 produced six X-class and four M-class solar flares. The animation shows the sun in the ultraviolet 304 ångström wavelength, and plays at a rate of 52.5 minutes per second. It is composed of more than 17,000 images, 72 GB of data produced by the solar dynamics observatory (sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...) + (www.helioviewer.org...). This animation has be rendered in 4K, and resized to the Youtube maximum resolution of 3840×2160. The animation has been rotated 180 degrees so that south is "up". The audio is the 'heartbeat' of the sun, processed from SOHO HMI data by Alexander G. Kosovichev. Image data courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams.

The Sun is a star but has no solid surface, instead it is a ball of gas consisting of 92.1% hydrogen and 7.8% helium, which (incredibly) is all held together by its own gravity.

In terms of size, the Sun is 865,374 miles in diameter, and sits at the center of our solar system, and makes up 99.8% of the mass of the entire solar system.
The Sun’s temperature is estimated at 15 million degrees Celsius or 27 million degrees Fahrenheit.

For best effect, watch this stunning time-lapse on full screen, it is truly beautiful

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Wow youtube now offers 2160p definition? Unbelievable.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I like my women the way I like my sun. Beautiful and terrifying.
That is awesome.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
that is super cool man...
i love reading about the solar system and the sun especially.

i cant even fathom most of the facst about the sun..
its size and mass. core temp of like a gabillion degrees kelvin...
my brain cant process that

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Not sure what's more amazing..the sun and how long it's been around or that we are in a perfect alignment to reap the benefits..

new topics

top topics

join