It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Town Requiring Facebook Access For CPL Applicants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This is freaking absurd.

Yes, well, the Chief said he uses the form to gather the applicant’s Facebook deets during a face-to-face interview. Why make note of the password? “We don’t,” he insisted. “We ask the applicant to log on to Facebook in front of us.” So the Chief scrolls through the applicant’s Facebook page searching for . . . ?

“Pages they’re looked at, friends – anything that reflects on the character of the applicant.” I pointed out that there’s a big difference [in terms of privacy] between viewing a Facebook page as a friend and viewing it as the owner. The Chief wasn’t bothered by the distinction.

So because you may have a sketchy friend from the past on your friends list, you may be denied. Because you liked something about the police state, you can be denied.

I don't mind back ground checks and being fingerprinted, but come on.

Link

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Sounds like the liberal masters in black dresses (oh I mean robes) are pressing it to the maximum.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It's NY for crying out loud!! Retire and move to Florida like everyone else does. LOL

Nothing's going to surprise me over the next two years. Anyone who doesn't think they're going to push gun owners isn't seeing the big picture.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
What if you don't have a Facebook account? Will they interpret that as you being a "privacy nut"?

Forget about not wanting to be stalked by your maniacal ex-wife and saying to hell with the "Facebook Experience". They'll simply chock it up to you being a tinfoil-hat-wearing conspiracy-fringe lunatic--certainly not someone capable of responsible gun ownership.

Is non-conformity to materialist-consumer social norms now considered extremism?

The writing is on the wall, folks.
edit on 10/22/14 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Facebook is dying. It sounds like the Chief is on the cutting edge of yesterdays news, just like most useless bureaucrats.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
far out...maybe i should reactivate my facebook so i can appear to be just like the "normal"folk....

funny how they want citizens to be so transparent in their daily lives...i think governments should be held to this and show the people some transparency...

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
What if you don't have a Facebook account? Will they interpret that as you being a "privacy nut"?

Is non-conformity to materialist-consumer social norms now considered extremism?

The writing is on the wall, folks.

I don't facebook or twitter.
I'm assuming this puts me on somebody's list of secretive villains.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

far out...maybe i should reactivate my facebook so i can appear to be just like the "normal"folk....

Why did you deactivate your Facebook account? What are you trying to hide?

Probable cause right there, son. Step out of the vehicle slowly, please.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
As absurd and disagreeable to me as this is, it is not actually far from what many companies have been doing for a very long time - things like extensive background checks, criminal history searches, MVR's, credit checks etc.

The euphamism used to excuse this invasive approach is checking ones "modality of living". It's doublespeak for "If we don't like you, we're going to need to find a reason to reject you that looks better on paper than simply not liking you." So in real world application, it means nothing to those who were going to get hired and is just part of a search for a reason not to hire those who aren't desired.

Take this away and they'll just go back to saying "I see here you bounced a check in 1981... That infers character issues that are contrary to our companies inherent values and missions statement. I am so sorry but we cannot consider you for employment at this time...."

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Seems there's more reasons not to do facebook than reasons for, even my freakin' bag of cat food has an 'f' on it.

Facebook is a corporate cash cow and a spy.

I am just now wondering if Mark Zuckerburg really created fb on his own, or if he had a lot of help along the way from people with 'sugar funds' dancing in their heads.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Well, I would be in trouble. No Facebook for me.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Why did you deactivate your Facebook account? What are you trying to hide?

Probable cause right there, son. Step out of the vehicle slowly, please.

truth be known to get away from my psycho stalking ex ....

no doubt that doesn't qualify but its all i got

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
They seem to be so sure everyone has one. What if you don't have one? The question would probably be in reply, "Why are you trying to hide something?" Stand up, say no, because it's going to become more rampant throughout if not.
Take for example in a similar situation concerning privacy: It's becoming illegal in some places now to ask for Facebook password:"It’s now illegal for employers to ask for your social media passwords in Washington" -Washington State’s Senate Bill 5211(2013) -

There several other states that have implemented similar laws or have pending legislation about this issue. Oregon, which also will soon prohibit employers asking for passwords, also passed a law banning colleges from doing the same to students.
Source

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
If someone asks why you don't have a Facebook account say it's because you philosophically disagree with the data mining that goes on with social media. If they press further and say you probably do have one, point out that they're doing exactly the same thing that happens online, they're just trying to data mine in person... that doesn't make it right, and a smart person won't participate in it. It helps your argument if you don't have a smart phone.

Of course if you used a LinkedIn profile to apply for the job things might be tricky.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: Domo1

Sounds like the liberal masters in black dresses (oh I mean robes) are pressing it to the maximum.

Oh good grief. Do you honestly think that liberals like this kind of thing?? That's ridiculous and to basically smash your allegation that they do, I'd like to point out to you that Oregon is actually a pretty liberal state (just watch Portlandia) and Oregon is one of the 11 states in the country that banned the practice of obtaining a potential employee's facebook password.

So there you go, the crazy Leftists in Oregon beat most of the country to the punch on saying "hand's off my social media" to employers, potential employers, and universities/colleges.

Here's the law in its entirety: www.oregonlaws.org...

Stick that in your hat.
edit on 23/10/14 by WhiteAlice because: english is awesome

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Ugh! This is so wrong.
How much is enough?

new topics

top topics

join