It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorist Refuses to Show ID at DUI Checkpoint: Do You Have To?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Reasonable suspicion is the key at any of these stops, and the police do not have it. Unless you pull up all sauced and can't talk, of course.

Those stops might be something they like to do, but they can't legally make anyone submit to anything unless you agree to do it, or you give them the reasonable suspicion that they actually need.

Outside of those legal boundaries anything they do is against due process and a legal violation. That is how I read it. When people do this they should expect resistance since police like to toss their weight around, but freedom is not cheap, and it does have costs.

Where I live they like to put signs on each side of this over pass that you cannot see the other side when you approach. So they place these signs on each side stating DRUG CHECK POINT AHEAD. They place these signs a good distance before the off ramps on the overpass. When you get off the highway at the exits they claim reasonable suspicion to search your car since the off ramps go to basically an unpaved county road which is only used by the locals.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Yeah even I agree. You have to realize that you can play havoc when you have no control over yourself. This is the reason why our govt. has made stringent DUI laws. My friend during his internship with Los Angeles DUI lawyer often used to tell me how tough things were.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Yeah sometimes you are at receiving end. The guy did nothing wrong but from my experience of working with a Los Angeles DUI lawyer I can say that at times Sheriffs try to impose that you did something wrong. This looks to be one such case.
edit on 13-2-2015 by Gale30 because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4   >>

join