It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lumessakahlaajat - Finnish track about WW2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I just had to post this. Lumessakahlaajat, Those who wade in snow. It is a beautiful melancholic track about Finnish soldiers fighting for our country in WW2. I really hope that the subject in case stays in history.. because our politicians here in Finland have just made a move to join some stupid NATO-program.

And because it's a Finnish song, i'll try to translate those awesome lyrics for your amusement.

Se pommikoneiden aalto
[That wave of the bombers]
Yllä tuon uinuvan maan
[Over our dormant land]
Ajoi hiljaisen, harmaan kulkueemme
[Drove our silent, grey procession]
Lumeen kahlaamaan
[to wade into the snow]
Ensin sai jokainen nähdä
[Firsthand did everyone see]
Sen maailmanpalonsa
[Their own conflagration]
Oli miehen jokaisen poltettava
[It was every man to set fire]
Oma talonsa
[To their own houses]

Aina kun tulitus loppuu
[When ever the firing stops]
Taas jatkaa taivallustaan
[Again the journey continues]
Ryhmä vaivainen, joka ehdi ei
[Band of miserables, who has no time to]
Jäädä taakseen katsomaan
[stay and look behind]
Kun loppumattomaan lumeen
[When the neverending snow]
Hautautui pikkuveli
[Got our littlebrother covered]
Taivaan verenpunasta kuvastui
[The blood-red sky reflected of]
Se naurava pyöveli
[That laughing executioner]

Kuolemanpataljoonat kulkee takana
[The battalion of death travels behind us]
Edessämme on maisema kuin lakana
[Before us the landscape is like a bed sheet]
Meidän leirimme
[Our camp/band]
Täytyy muuttaa uudelleen
[Needs to move again]
Joko rajan yli tai taivaaseen
[Over the border, or to the heaven]

The author is Timo Rautiainen and Trio Niskalaukaus, song name: Lumessakahlaajat

edit on 08America/Chicago88America/Chicago812 by menneni because: (no reason given)

edit on 08America/Chicago88America/Chicago817 by menneni because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: menneni

[Firsthand did everyone see]

[Their own conflagration]

[It was every man to set fire]

[To their own houses]

From any era, war makes the least sense to those directly involved.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: menneni
I really hope that the subject in case stays in history.. because our politicians here in Finland have just made a move to join some stupid NATO-program.

Typical response from a country that we, the US, saved from the Nazi. So NATO and what it stands for is the bad guy to you? If you think about it, NATO is more of a deterrent of war (and taking over of countries) than an aggressive agency.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I cant believe somebody doesn't know that the USA didn't save anyone single handed.....
Without the rest of us the USA is nothing but a bump in the road of history.....

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Well a typical butthurt answer from uneducated citizen of USA.

FWIW: Posted the song just for others to enjoy good Finnish music.

And about NATO: Oh well, it seems something else than deterrent of war, more like a tool of inducing war.

And, US of A did not, i repeat, did not save the Finns from Nazis. Allied forces even declared war against us in late WW2. You guys funded the Russians against our country, was that the saving you chime about?

The nazis burned half of our land while retreating.

Did you know that your so called modern artillery firing is based completely on finnish tactics? Theres a lot of war-related info that Finns have given to your country's benefit.

Heres something for you to calm yourself:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

US didn´t save Finland from Nazi´s actually US had anything to do with Winter War or Continuation War. Both these wars were Finns against the Soviet Union and when help were asked from western union it was officially declined by many countries and the first one in a row was Sweden. The Big Bad Bear ( Red Machine ) was too intimidating and scary.

What comes to NATO, Finland has been a neutral country since WW2 a buffer state between Russia and Western world. Bringing NATO in Finland only inflames the diplomacy between Russia and Finland. There are other options to defence than NATO, one is Scandinavian agreement on Cooperation and assistance which actually would serve all Scandinavia better than NATO would. The current agreement with NATO has a base in the 2001 agreement, it's not about being or becoming a NATO country, its host Country Agreement.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun probably best to read a little history before posting. the U.S. did not save Finland from the nazis, if anything Finland was on the German side, without any real choice due to the pre ww2 invasion by the soviet union.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Double post

edit on 28-8-2014 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I agree with the idea that the Nordic Battlegroup idea is much better than a NATO thing. We need our own regional protectorate, free from superpower nonsense.

LOL America saved Finland from the Nazis... somebody doesnt read history!

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing, as an American who is a bit of a Finnish music fan girl.

The Finnish had the best Anti-tank rifle during WW2. We bought the design from them, so in a way I guess you could say the Finnish helped the U.S.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
hmm I am not sure about threads that are in a different language.
could be some kind of secret message

lol

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think it is funny when the English translation cannot be found. Anyway... Tamil actually gave me a translation and from there... a few other possibilities.

Yiddish first, then translated from Yiddish to Tamil.

edit on CDT12uSat, 30 Aug 2014 00:34:56 -05003456am241 by Thurisaz because: answer is Tamil

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz

I don't know what you are insinuating. The song is Finnish. I am too. I translated it for others to gain some insight whats the words are about. It's kinda hard, because finnish language isn't so "1-2-3" or "blocky" like english.

I'm interested in your username. Thurisaz, it seems a derivative from Tursas, the Finnish God of War?

Anyways, this thread has got nothing to do with yiddish nor tamil.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   

I was having fun and was joking.

I did think it was funny that there is no English translation for some Finnish words.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   

oh the English spelling of the word of Tursas is Thurisaz.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz

Ok, my bad.

Sorry about my morning grumpiness, i'm still on my third cup of coffee

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Among the anti-tank rifle, there is lot more.

For example, there was also a guy named Lauri Törni, a.k.a. Larry Thorne, who taught the US some serious warfare tactics. He died in Vietnam. The Green Berets main character was based on Lauri, afaik, starred by John Wayne.

Thorne's name was legendary in U.S. Special Forces. His U.S. memorial is the Larry Thorne Headquarters Building, 10th SFG(A), Fort Carson, Colorado. 10th Group honors him yearly by presenting the Larry Thorne Award to the best Operational Detachment-Alpha in the command. The Special Forces Association Chapter 33 in Cleveland, Tennessee is named after him.[35] In 2010 he was named as the first Honorary Member of the United States Army Special Forces Regiment.

new topics

top topics

join