It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars One To Build Simulated Colony For One-Way Astronauts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

People selected to live on the Red Planet will train inside an earthbound outpost. If they don't go crazy, they just might make the real trip.

Creating a permanent human settlement on Mars by 2025 will require serious training. To prepare its future astronauts for the task, the Netherlands-based private spaceflight project Mars One announced today its plans to construct Earth-based outposts that replicate the cramped, isolated, crazy-making conditions of a Red Planet colony.

In an email statement this morning, Mars One also named Kristian von Bengston—co-founder of Copenhagen Suborbitals, a private effort to build and launch a crewed suborbital rocket—as leader of the new effort to establish multiple training outposts at yet-to-be-determined locations. For now Von Bengston is seeking out construction companies and courting financial sponsors. The first simulated colonies won't contain actual life-support systems, at least to begin with, but they will be retrofitted with the technology later on, according to the statement.

More than 200,000 people applied for the one-way mission. Late last year, Mars One narrowed the selection pool to 1,058. Their ultimate goal: select 24 to 40 candidates who will travel to Mars in groups of four (two men and two women, ideally from four different continents, says CEO Bas Lansdorp). Mars One wants to send the first group in 2025, with the subsequent crews launching one at a time, every two years thereafter. The organization intends to televise the final rounds of the search.

Read more at Popular Science

OK well this is pretty cool and I kind of figure they would need a mock up first however I do kind of think this will be the beginnings of the reality show aspect. I do think it is a necessary step for them to play this out on earth first. Train, train, train, until it is drilled into your brain. I can also see a bio dome meltdown coming.

All in all, it is a very good idea to work out the kinks here first.

edit on 1-4-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
nobody, is going to Mars for atleast 50 years,,& even that is being generous,,,more like a 100 years,,, unless there is some sort of secret space tech that they aren't telling people about...,,its going to take a whole fleet of spacecraft to do it...a craft to get there & back ..most likely pieced together in low earth orbit,,a few craft that can be sent ahead & land on Mars so astronauts have a place to live on mars,, a craft that can that be launched off the surface of Mars to get back...your going to be waiting a long time
edit on 1-4-2014 by Misinformation because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Misinformation

Well, at least your UN fits.
You are aware that this is a one-way trip and the volunteers know that and thus aren't concerned with coming home, right?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Nyiah
reply to post by Nyiah

You are aware that this is a one-way trip and the volunteers know that and thus aren't concerned with coming home, right?

Yes , I heard about the suicide mission ,,its nothing but talk....even if it is allowed to happen its still going to take more than 50 years before it takes place

Com'on, permanent human settlement on Mars by 2025,,,11 years from now , get real,,it will take 11 years just to design & build the spacecraft ,,,anybody that is going to Mars hasn't been born yet

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

What I don't understand is why people are looking down on this suicide mission. They will get to launch in a rocket to space, and travel to Mars, and if they survive walk on Mars. More then any one of us can ever say, unless you are in the .00000000000000000000000000001%

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Misinformation

Nyiah
reply to post by Nyiah

Yes , I heard about the suicide mission ,,its nothing but talk....even if it is allowed to happen its still going to take more than 50 years before it takes place

Com'on, permanent human settlement on Mars by 2025,,,11 years from now , get real,,it will take 11 years just to design & build the spacecraft

Glass half empty?
Is your opinion based on sources, or are you merely sharing your personal thoughts on the matter?
As far as I can see the only real hurdle is improved radiation shielding, no small hurdle admittedly however my glass is half full....I think they will figure it out rather quickly.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Artlogic
As far as I can see the only real hurdle is improved radiation shielding, no small hurdle admittedly however my glass is half full....I think they will figure it out rather quickly.

Not only are they going too need improved radiation shielding on the spacecraft,,,Mars has no magnetic field ,,so they are going to need it on the surface of Mars also

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Misinformation

Artlogic

Not only are they going too need improved radiation shielding on the spacecraft,,,Mars has no magnetic field ,,so they are going to need it on the surface of Mars also

That would be correct.
I'm sure smarter chaps than myself have thought of it already but I think they may end up at least partially underground for that very reason.
This may interest you, there's a variety of ways to combat ionizing radiation....

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Misinformation

Artlogic

I'm not naming names, but someone needs to update their info a little.

Findings by an instrument aboard the Mars transit vehicle that carried the Curiosity rover show that radiation exposure for a mission of permanent settlement will be well within space agencies' astronaut career limits.

www.mars-one.com...

That information is available on just about every link when you use the Google function.

edit on 1-4-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

liejunkie01

Misinformation

Artlogic

Findings by an instrument aboard the Mars transit vehicle that carried the Curiosity rover show that radiation exposure for a mission of permanent settlement will be well within space agencies' astronaut career limits.

www.mars-one.com...

That information is available on just about every link when you use the Google function.

edit on 1-4-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

I had not seen this, I thought underground was the way forward....
Thankyou

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

liejunkie01

www.mars-one.com...

Infomation Updated
---Add ten years to mission development in order to cover Mars habitat with 5 meters of Mars soil

Radiation on Mars----
If the settlers spend on average three hours every three days outside the habitat, their individual exposure adds up to 11 mSv per year.
The Mars One habitat will be covered by several meters of soil, which provides reliable shielding even against galactic cosmic rays. Five meters of soil provides the same protection as the Earth's atmosphere-- equivalent to 1,000 g/cm2 of shielding.
With the help of a forecasting system taking shelter in the habitat can prevent radiation exposure from SPEs.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
mars builds earth pays...
next thing you know they will want to bomb neptune
because they want to have thier own magnetic feild generators
and they signed a treaty which allows them to have them
so they of course must get bombed so they don't

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I think that a lot of information on mars has been kept from the public at large one minute Mars is a red dust bowl,
the next nasa/esa forgets to put filters on and Mars has a blue sky .

And running water somethink if you look at the recent photos coming out ,it is just a pity when George.h.w Bush was in command and placing his old cia chums at Nasa they were allowed to crash satellites into area's of scientific interest at 50,000 mph on bodies with [NO ATMOSPHERE] ye right ] kinda like they were trying to cover things up .

i would go for a 1 way trip even if it meant i would only last 30 or so days with the radiation and i bet many would do the same

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
If they design the water they need to carry into the outer layer of the ship it will provide excellent shielding.

They will need to carry quite a bit to sustain a long voyage.

I remain optimistic for the mission it would be a leap forward for mankind finally colonizing the stars.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Misinformation

But the technology is already available.

It just needs upscaled a little bit.

The site even said they were going to use available technologies. How do you think that the landers scooped martian soil into the equipment to get it tested.

A machine can dig dirt.

I don't know why you are so skeptical about their operation. Everything they have stated they want to use and do is available. Some just need scaled up a bit. But the technology is and has been around. It's not like they are trying to invent the warp drive to take them there.

Saying that I do not know if they can do it all by 2025, but if their funding gets increased, who knows.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
man could do it
it would be better if he was focused on doing it right
instead of politics and/or profit

hell, Id go even with crappy odds
as long as the odds were not bad till mars

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

liejunkie01

How do you think that the landers scooped martian soil into the equipment to get it tested.

A machine can dig dirt.

LoL,,theres a big difference between scooping up a tablespoon of soil,,& covering a huge habitat with 5 meters of it..if they are thinking about living in a Mars cave ,,it will take years just to find a suitable cave

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Misinformation

liejunkie01

How do you think that the landers scooped martian soil into the equipment to get it tested.

A machine can dig dirt.

LoL,,theres a big difference between scooping up a tablespoon of soil,,& covering a huge habitat with 5 meters of it..if they are thinking about living in a Mars cave ,,it will take years just to find a suitable cave

Perhaps this may do the trick?

Building living quarters underground (possibly in lava tubes that are already present) would significantly lower the colonists' exposure to

en.m.wikipedia.org...

edit on 1 2014 by Artlogic because: cave life is underrated

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Why not use the Biosphere 1 in Arizona for a test base? It's already set up for aquaponic's,garden,climate control,you name it! And it sits abandoned in the desert,almost a martian landscape.

new topics

top topics

join