It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Abuse Cases Moved from Baghdad to Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
In the ever evloving shame known as the Iraq prison abuse scandal which all began last spring when photos of graphic abuse of Iraqi captives at the hands of U.S. military personell surfaced in the media, A series of events followed which sparked global outrage. Today it is being reported that three key cases involving the courts martial of Army Reservists charged with abusing Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib prison, which were originally set to begin next year in Baghdad will now be moved to Texas.

ABCNEWS.com Full Article

BAGHDAD, Iraq Nov 10, 2004 � U.S. military announced Thursday that the courts martial of three Army Reservists charged with abusing Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib prison will be transferred from Baghdad to Fort Hood, Texas.

The trials of Sgt. Javal Davis, Spc. Sabrina Harman and Spc. Charles Graner Jr., had been set to begin next year in Baghdad.

No reason was given for the decision to move the trials to the United States. Lawyers for the accused had been pressing for a change of venue for months, in part because of problems bringing witnesses and attorneys to one of the world's most dangerous cities.

The statement said Graner's trial would begin Jan. 7 but gave no dates for the others.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Texas Justice will now serve a fair trial for these Americans charged with such a horrific crime, who were to face justice in the land where they are alledged to have comitted these crimes, will now face the much more demanding courts back at home in Good ole Texas!

If I was going to escape justice in Iraq, I can think of no other place on Earth that I would want to face a trial than In George W. Bush's Texas.

Complete ATSNN Abuse Crisis Coverage:

Abuse Crisis

[edit on 10-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

[edit on 11-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I wonder why Texas. This wouldn't be Dubyas doing would it? Of course I've heard the death penalty is really big in Texas, is this true? Also would this be a regular court marshall or would this be a civilian criminal case?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I wonder why Texas. This wouldn't be Dubyas doing would it?

I would not worry too much about this... Everything is BIG in Texas, I'm sure they can find a rug big enough to sweep this mess under.

Google has already found such a rug.. see for yourself here:

Google censoring political hot topic: abu ghraib pictures

As for me I tend to reflect on the feelings I had as an American on the day after discovering the news of this abuse scandal and seeing the first images available at that time. If you'd like to see more look here:

Today America Stands United in Shame

As for your other questions... There are no answers... I think that should say something!

Gazz

[edit on 10-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I wonder why Texas. This wouldn't be Dubyas doing would it? Of course I've heard the death penalty is really big in Texas, is this true? Also would this be a regular court marshall or would this be a civilian criminal case?

It's a regular military court case.

Now... the military laws are a LOT harsher than US civilian laws. For instance, it would be within a ship's captain's rights to hang a sailor from the mast for certain crimes committed onboard -- even though that same offense might result in a lesser penalty in civilian court. There are some other differences about the trial processes... not sure why Texas, though. However the laws in Texas won't have a bearing on it unless they're being tried in civilian courts.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
I would not worry too much about this... Everything is BIG in Texas, I'm sure they can find a rug big enough to sweep this mess under.

Google has already found such a rug.. see for yourself here:

Google censoring political hot topic: abu ghraib pictures

Um_Gazz

I think you know that there was no censoring of Abu Ghraib pictures by google; if you followed the entire thread, you'll see two things:

1) All pictures are there (I'm feeling lucky)

2) There was an instance of stale data with the google search.

I also have to smile at your opening sentence:

In the ever evloving shame known as the Iraq prison abuse scandal

A bit dramatic, don't you think?

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Just imagine the amount of money this trial will bring to Texas. Big media coverage, an interested public, etc. This is some pretty overt pork barrel politicking. Of course, now that Bush was elected, I'll be slammed for not backing him, but gosh is he up front about how he's sticking it to us. It's almost like the 'big lie' of 1930's and 1940's Germany. Tell a lie so big and do it so publically that no one could possibly believe you're lying.

The guy could probably take a podium later this week and announce that he's moving the nation's capital to Dallas and no one would flinch.

top topics

join